• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,481 posts in this topic

Posting about my reread of Phase 1 (over in the 1000 books in 2023 thread) reminded me that I don't think I ever mentioned that I finished assembling my IDW Transformers collection a while back. My goal was to get the entire IDW continuity in hardcover format, without paying above retail. At the time there were several OOP volumes, but over the course of a couple of years, I was able to put the whole thing together, making major headway via Target B2G1 sales, and also conveniently timed reprints of some books from IDW. My goal was to get the whole thing assembled before IDW lost the license this year, and I just made it!

So, that's Phase 1 and 2 complete in HC, as well as the entire 2019 reboot series (which I've not read at all.) Unfortunately, IDW lost the license before being able to complete Phase 3 in hc, so I had to assemble several trade paperbacks (shown on the far right) in order to complete the stories. I also got several of the crossovers and spin-off volumes, though I'm still missing a handful (TF vs Star Trek, Back to the Future, etc). 

I started my revisit of the entire IDW line in January, and just finished up Phase 1 a day or so ago. My thoughts are in the 1000 in 2023 thread. I'm sure you can't wait to read them, as I'm a fascinating person!

PS: Phase 2 V1 not pictured as that's the book I'm currently reading, and it's on the nightstand upstairs!

IMG_2594.JPG

Edited by F For Fake

On 3/20/2023 at 1:57 PM, WolverineX said:

I'm going to be reading this omnibus anyway. 

That’s what all people should be doing. Makes me sad when I see sealed omnibuses going for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Now I still have sealed ones myself but that’s just because I haven’t gotten around to them yet. 

On 3/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, Poekaymon said:

That’s what all people should be doing. Makes me sad when I see sealed omnibuses going for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Now I still have sealed ones myself but that’s just because I haven’t gotten around to them yet. 

When I buy an omni, it's for the purpose of reading it. However, I keep them sealed until I read them, because sometimes in the time it takes me to get around to reading a certain book, it will go out of print, and the $$$ is tempting...

On 3/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, Zonker said:

PSA Time!

In Stock Trades has the recent hardcover Famous First Edition reprint of New Fun Comics #1 on sale for $2.99

NewFunFFE.png.26e8438bee994c1d41da3d1724467a62.png

I grabbed one today just for historical curiosity.  And it will be cool to have a new Famous First Edition to add the collection 50 years after the original series started being published!

Big thanks for that! Just placed my order.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:57 PM, WolverineX said:

I agree.  But several retailers have it for 75 dollars so I'm just going to buy it instead of paying over 100 for the original copy.  I'm going to be reading this omnibus anyway. 

Seems to still be up on cheapgraphicnovels as far as I can tell.  https://cheapgraphicnovels.com/this-week-3/x-men-uncanny-x-men-omnibus-vol-01-hc-kane-cvr-new-ptg.html

On 3/26/2023 at 4:38 PM, WolverineX said:

Any reason to pick up the first printing instead of the second? Or do they correct mistakes in the second one?

The first printing comprised 6,000 numbered copies and was termed the 'Famous First Edition', so the second print run will not be numbered. Frankly, I couldn't care less!

On 3/23/2023 at 2:08 PM, F For Fake said:

Posting about my reread of Phase 1 (over in the 1000 books in 2023 thread) reminded me that I don't think I ever mentioned that I finished assembling my IDW Transformers collection a while back. My goal was to get the entire IDW continuity in hardcover format, without paying above retail. At the time there were several OOP volumes, but over the course of a couple of years, I was able to put the whole thing together, making major headway via Target B2G1 sales, and also conveniently timed reprints of some books from IDW. My goal was to get the whole thing assembled before IDW lost the license this year, and I just made it!

So, that's Phase 1 and 2 complete in HC, as well as the entire 2019 reboot series (which I've not read at all.) Unfortunately, IDW lost the license before being able to complete Phase 3 in hc, so I had to assemble several trade paperbacks (shown on the far right) in order to complete the stories. I also got several of the crossovers and spin-off volumes, though I'm still missing a handful (TF vs Star Trek, Back to the Future, etc). 

I started my revisit of the entire IDW line in January, and just finished up Phase 1 a day or so ago. My thoughts are in the 1000 in 2023 thread. I'm sure you can't wait to read them, as I'm a fascinating person!

PS: Phase 2 V1 not pictured as that's the book I'm currently reading, and it's on the nightstand upstairs!

IMG_2594.JPG

Congratulations - quite an achievement!

On 3/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

Some exciting news for lovers of DC Gold and Silver Age this week!

Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 10

Superman: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 1

Wonder Woman: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol. 2

I’m just excited to see the DC’s collected editions department is still alive and kicking! I’m taking this re-commitment to their GA and SA lines as a good sign going forward. 

On 3/25/2023 at 10:05 PM, letsgrumble said:

image.thumb.jpeg.03386cac3ff88b7cbd673ddb9728be83.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.02d17ab762ac68de6a79f5f8c54965d8.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.d8e73615e18da4788fd2462bf1c9f889.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5fff3e4a8b5aa5fb8960d0016008f9a2.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.71b845fd0ca4910c66b32f65dc2c29cd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a2e01baa2c1f671d685a6f461702c20d.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.74fa891da8d3dfb285f445dcb37b89b4.jpeg

What caught my eye with the Spidey on the cover. Looks like a model that I had in the late 70's. You'd put a sticky glue substance on the hand and feet to stick to the wall. Naturally, glue gave way and he fell multiple times and finally broke. I've never seen that model kit listed anywhere since. 

On 3/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

At this point it seems like they've ditched completing the TPB series for the Golden Age runs. :facepalm:

On 3/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

At this point it seems like they've ditched completing the TPB series for the Golden Age runs. :facepalm:

Unfortunately that's pretty standard practice for DC. They have several incomplete lines, from their Archives, to standard hc's, to trades, etc. I'm honestly amazed that we're getting anymore Gold Age material at all, as it seemed like they'd thrown in the towel on the lines. The fact that we're going to get a new Batman Omni is pretty amazing. I'd think they did the math, realized that the audience for the GA material is pretty small, and decided to reward the few remaining buyers by canceling trades and squeezing them for the more expensive omnis.

But, again, I'm just glad that they're doing the stuff at all. There was a period there where they were barely soliciting anything at all, except for a few modern collections. Announcing three big archival omnis like that really does give me a glimmer of hope that they're righting the ship. We'll see. 

On 3/27/2023 at 9:17 AM, F For Fake said:

Unfortunately that's pretty standard practice for DC. They have several incomplete lines, from their Archives, to standard hc's, to trades, etc. I'm honestly amazed that we're getting anymore Gold Age material at all, as it seemed like they'd thrown in the towel on the lines. The fact that we're going to get a new Batman Omni is pretty amazing. I'd think they did the math, realized that the audience for the GA material is pretty small, and decided to reward the few remaining buyers by canceling trades and squeezing them for the more expensive omnis.

But, again, I'm just glad that they're doing the stuff at all. There was a period there where they were barely soliciting anything at all, except for a few modern collections. Announcing three big archival omnis like that really does give me a glimmer of hope that they're righting the ship. We'll see. 

I'm not going to complain too much, because the storytelling is dogwater per my writing standards, but it would be awesome to have a catalog of all that old artwork. I'm not interested in getting all those omnibuses for it. I'll only go the omnibus route if I feel that I really have to, that's why I only have 6 of them.

some recent stuff (IST mmw $15 sale). Thanks to letsgrumble for posting that marvel value stamps book, one of the coolest marvel fan items I've seen in a long time.

Something about the coloring and the cardstock really brings back feelings of the comics as a kid. I wish they did masterworks like this. Artist Select editions are close, but this is just wonderful.

If only we could have more covers printed in books like this format.

v1.jpg

dktsyyud.png

xd35a1gn.png

Edited by bronze_rules