• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,457 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, Blankedboy said:

Any love for Dan Brereton's The Nocturnals around here?

IMG_E4284.JPG

Love Brereton's stuff, had most of this stuff in floppy form. I think I missed this collection already, d'oh!

Man alive, a mere two weeks in, and it has already been a BRUTAL year for the wallet when it comes to hardcovers. It's a perfect storm of multiple shipping delays adding up to an downpour of collected volumes hitting all at once! All of this stuff dropped within the last 7 days! Plus, distribution being what it is, things are showing up sporadically, so not all retailers are getting the same stock. You really have to look at every retailer, not just to compare prices, but also to see who has gotten what.

For this group, I ended up mostly going with CGN, as IST didn't have most of these titles, and the stuff they DID have, CGN actually beat them on price! I picked up a couple of new books, and am playing catch-up with others, rebuying stuff I sold long ago. Today I ordered:

Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 1 - Kirby Cover (reprint) 

Aliens Omnibus Vol 2 - DM cover (new release) - IST has this one as well, but it's $5 more

Uncanny X-Men Vol 3 Smith Cover (reprint)

Captain America by Brubaker Vol 1 Reg cvr (reprint)

X-Men Mutant Massacre DM Davis Cover (technically a reprint, though I believe this is the first time it's been issued with these exact contents) - IST has this one as well, but it's $5 more

The one book I DID grab from IST today was one that everyone else is showing isn't released until next week, 1/18.

Batman No Man's Land Omnibus.

So, it's a wacky, expensive time! Had to hold my nose and open the wallet, but at least in many instances I am close to finishing my runs, so I shouldn't have to pay much more down the road. Once I get the new Fall of the Mutants omni, and whatever they issue to bridge the gap between UXM 4 and FotM, I'll be all caught up on the X-men that I want to own, so that'll be a big weight lifted. 

Looks like I missed the rerelease of ASM Omni 2 last week. Organic still has it for $85, so I may grab it there once I recover from what I spent today. Also I apparently missed out on the UXM Vol 2 rerelease, it's already drying up. 

Pics once all of this stuff shows up, but mainly I'm posting to let you know this stuff is hitting now. Prepare for the deluge! Good luck and happy hunting!

Edit to add: Also, the long awaited reprint of X-Men Vol 1 Omni hit today, for those that are looking. I'm passing, as I have that material in the Children of the Atom set, and it's not something I need to own in multiple formats. But I know a lot of folks have waited a long time for that one!

Edited by F For Fake

I was cataloging some recent acquisitions and noticed an oddity with some of my Marvel Masterworks, so I thought I'd throw it out here to see if it was a known thing...

I have 2 copies of Marvel Masterworks vol. 11, first printing (GSX1 and X-Men 94-100). Both say Vol. 11 on the spine, volume 11 on the title page, but vol. 8 in the indicia. Even though on the same page as the indicia is a list of the first 12 or so volumes of Marvel Masterworks, listing Volume 8 as the Incredible Hulk first one.

Anyone know why there's a mismatch between the volume number everywhere else and the one listed in the indicia?

On 1/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, Zonker said:

Anyone else have this first world problem? :cry:

2uncanny.thumb.jpg.cc057c6b3dea29bdc2cef7e234b48bf4.jpg

I got a great deal on Vol 2 last year from CGN's "Nick and Dent" Sale.  Then I saw a good price last week from Amazon for Vol 1.  It said it was the 2020 printing, and therefore it would have matched the spine format of my Vol 2.  Made sense, as the latest reprinting of Vol 1 at CGN was only supposed to be available starting Feb 2.  But clearly Amazon got an early shipment in, since what arrived yesterday (the top book above, still in shrinkwrap) is the latest printing, the newest format.

I've started a Wanted to Trade  thread here to see if anyone wants to swap out Volumes 1.  I'm wondering though if this is a big enough problem with a large enough community who have one version of some omni, but want a different version to match what they have on the shelf?  Would it make sense to ask for a sticky thread in the WTB section where people could post what they have / what they want?  hm

I very much have that problem.  I probably have mild OCD, but the font change drives me bonkers.  If there was a quick and easy way to get new dust jackets, I would totally do this...

On 1/20/2022 at 12:27 PM, piper said:

Here’s an example. Since then I picked up Vol 2 of ASM and it also has the small text.

At this point I’ve given up…

237E53B4-2A9A-4D92-81CA-EDABA45A0E98.jpeg

I am sure that it grinds all of our gears. How the publishers do not see this as a problem truly bothers me. lol

On 1/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, piper said:

I got my copies of Ultimate Spider-Man and Book of Magic V2 this week. I think Thor V1 is coming out soon…

Which Thor Omni are you referring to? The one with Journey Into Mystery 83 +? I hope so. I ordered it awhile back but thought I missed it somehow.

Edit: Just noticed I typed "80" instead of "83".

Edited by Dave2739

On 1/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, Dave2739 said:

Which Thor Omni are you referring to? The one with Journey Into Mystery 80 +? I hope so. I ordered it awhile back but thought I missed it somehow.

(thumbsu

On 1/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Just when I scratch the Absolute Fourth Worlds off my list, leaving only the Hellblazer series TPBs, I decide to add 8 Alan Moore hardcovers to it. lol

Aaaaaaaand I ordered them.

It's near-certain that I will enjoy 7 of them, but Lost Girls seems to be quite polarizing. Has anyone read that title?

Looking at Moore's notable works, I opted to pass on Halo Jones, and Marvelman. They don't seem interesting/different enough for me. Same goes for Tomorrow Stories, and Top 10.

I am relatively interested in Tom Strong, but there doesn't seem to be a great format to collect it. Maybe I'll go for the single issues on that one.

On 1/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Aaaaaaaand I ordered them.

It's near-certain that I will enjoy 7 of them, but Lost Girls seems to be quite polarizing. Has anyone read that title?

Looking at Moore's notable works, I opted to pass on Halo Jones, and Marvelman. They don't seem interesting/different enough for me. Same goes for Tomorrow Stories, and Top 10.

I am relatively interested in Tom Strong, but there doesn't seem to be a great format to collect it. Maybe I'll go for the single issues on that one.

Alan Moore’s Supreme was fantastic. Trades are poor quality, so I would suggest getting the single issues. Unless you can get someone to make you some amazing customs like these.

Source: http://forgottenawesome.blogspot.com/2019/07/new-custom-supremeawesome-hardcovers.html?m=1

72A0CC2A-4176-46A3-AF9B-635D4670ACF3.jpeg

BA149A54-0B8B-4FD4-BD33-E6F041555309.jpeg

Edited by BCoffee

On 1/21/2022 at 4:01 PM, BCoffee said:

Alan Moore’s Supreme was fantastic. Trades are poor quality, so I would suggest getting the single issues. Unless you can get someone to make you some amazing customs like these.

Source: http://forgottenawesome.blogspot.com/2019/07/new-custom-supremeawesome-hardcovers.html?m=1

72A0CC2A-4176-46A3-AF9B-635D4670ACF3.jpeg

BA149A54-0B8B-4FD4-BD33-E6F041555309.jpeg

I was actually just reading about Supreme last night. On the subject of "no good trades", Moore's Miracleman is receiving an omnibus this year.

Picked up a copy of Batman Golden Age Omnibus #6 last week for a pretty penny, and saw a #7 was listed at auction on eBay.  I watched it, fully expecting to win it.  Paid $265 for the #6, and figured I'd have to pay more for the #7.  As the auction was ending, I was putting in my snipe, and set it at $550, assuming I'd win it somewhere around $350-$400, but wanted to make sure I got it.  Well, when the bidding went up to $495, the reality set in that I was going to pay $500+ for this book.  And I started to think what comic I could get for $500 instead, so I cancelled my snipe.  It ended at that $495 bid.  Guess I'll have a hole in my set for now...

On 1/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, Zonker said:

Anyone else have this first world problem? :cry:

2uncanny.thumb.jpg.cc057c6b3dea29bdc2cef7e234b48bf4.jpg

I got a great deal on Vol 2 last year from CGN's "Nick and Dent" Sale.  Then I saw a good price last week from Amazon for Vol 1.  It said it was the 2020 printing, and therefore it would have matched the spine format of my Vol 2.  Made sense, as the latest reprinting of Vol 1 at CGN was only supposed to be available starting Feb 2.  But clearly Amazon got an early shipment in, since what arrived yesterday (the top book above, still in shrinkwrap) is the latest printing, the newest format.

I've started a Wanted to Trade  thread here to see if anyone wants to swap out Volumes 1.  I'm wondering though if this is a big enough problem with a large enough community who have one version of some omni, but want a different version to match what they have on the shelf?  Would it make sense to ask for a sticky thread in the WTB section where people could post what they have / what they want?  hm

Ugh...this has me concerned. And already annoyed. I pre-ordered the new printings from CGN for X-Men Omnibuses v1-2 and Uncanny v1-3 (and ordered a v4, which was still in print) back in like, July. So far, I've gotten Uncanny vol. 2-4 (2-3 just arriving yesterday)...and my vol. 2 is like you're vol. 1 (while my vol. 3-4 are like your vol. 2, the better spine). Now I'm dreading that Uncanny vol. 1 is going to come back the same as my vol. 2 with the smaller spine font...and who knows with the X-Mens. My shelf is just gonna be all over the place :eek:

On 1/26/2022 at 9:48 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Ugh...this has me concerned. And already annoyed. I pre-ordered the new printings from CGN for X-Men Omnibuses v1-2 and Uncanny v1-3 (and ordered a v4, which was still in print) back in like, July. So far, I've gotten Uncanny vol. 2-4 (2-3 just arriving yesterday)...and my vol. 2 is like you're vol. 1 (while my vol. 3-4 are like your vol. 2, the better spine). Now I'm dreading that Uncanny vol. 1 is going to come back the same as my vol. 2 with the smaller spine font...and who knows with the X-Mens. My shelf is just gonna be all over the place :eek:

I hope it works out for you.  :wishluck:

But I'm afraid it gets worse:  there is a thread on the OmnibusCollectors SubReddit where they report that the newest printings of Volumes 3 and 4 have arrived sporting the older, larger font, while the newest printings of Volumes 1 and 2 come as expected with the smaller font.  The working assumption is someone goofed up the latest printings of Volume 3 and 4.  So I decided to go ahead and buy a Volume 1 off eBay with the larger font, since I'm anticipating demand will stay strong for the larger font size Volumes 1 and 2 in order to match what continues to be available for now with 3 and 4.