• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,457 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2023 at 2:48 PM, RickSp said:

I also noticed the Folio Society website has a new Marvel edition out, this time of Dr.Strange. Really nice looking volume with a cool reprint of ST110. Again this series is one of those that I keep toying with. I feel like I’m having to choose between these and the Taschen Library volumes that are being released in regards to having some prestige Marvel collected editions on the shelf….

I have several Folio Society fiction books and they are well done.  Didn't know they had Marvel--might have to consider a few of them. Taschen is nice but I'm running out of space for oversized books.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:36 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They were?

Yep, first 4 volumes are re released in time for the new 5th volume that just came out. The original 2010 release of Volume 1 in particular has been a crazy price on eBay for years. So it’s nice to pick up at normal value at last.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:53 AM, Poekaymon said:

I have several Folio Society fiction books and they are well done.  Didn't know they had Marvel--might have to consider a few of them. Taschen is nice but I'm running out of space for oversized books.

It’s true, oversized books like the Taschens are amazing, but logically I know I have no where to put them! Yet when a new edition is announced I just can’t help myself…

On 1/26/2023 at 3:32 AM, RickSp said:

Yep, first 4 volumes are re released in time for the new 5th volume that just came out. The original 2010 release of Volume 1 in particular has been a crazy price on eBay for years. So it’s nice to pick up at normal value at last.

Yeah, I paid 4-figures for it (signed & numbered tho). lol

I was wondering what the consensus might be to this question...?

cheapgraphicnovels.com

or

instocktrades.com

which is better overall, shipping and prices? Ive never used IST but was playing around on their site and found a few that I might order.

Also has anyone ordered a "damaged" trade from IST? Are they really bad?

On 1/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, Raze said:

This inspired me to go dumpster diving through IST's list of damaged books.  I found some good books but the prices were a bit higher than the "used" listings on Amazon.  I have had good luck with used TPBs on Amazon.  I stick to "good" or "very good" and I've only had a few disappointments out of several dozen.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:08 PM, Turnando said:

This inspired me to go dumpster diving through IST's list of damaged books.  I found some good books but the prices were a bit higher than the "used" listings on Amazon.  I have had good luck with used TPBs on Amazon.  I stick to "good" or "very good" and I've only had a few disappointments out of several dozen.

I haven't used amazon in years. maybe Ill check in there as well.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:27 PM, Raze said:

cheapgraphicnovels.com

or

instocktrades.com

which is better overall, shipping and prices? Ive never used IST but was playing around on their site and found a few that I might order.

I've pre-ordered from CGN at a deep discount to cover price. With CGN I need to pay shipping within the USA.  I've also ordered from CGN's "Nick & Dent" sales and have been very satisfied with the quality I've received (i.e. only nearly-imperceptible damage).  Probably 5 out of 5 successful transactions.

I've ordered from IST, with free shipping within the USA.  They sometimes run sales on items with discounts equivalent to CGN.  I've never myself purchased one of their damaged books (just never came up as an opportunity for something I wanted).  But the online chatter I have seen indicates most people report similar success in getting very nice books from the IST damaged section.  However, there is always an outlier horror story.  So like most online purchases, it is a bit of a roll of the dice.  

On 1/27/2023 at 10:27 PM, Raze said:

cheapgraphicnovels.com

or

instocktrades.com

I’ve ordered “damaged” books from IST, and  nearly everyone of them was indistinguishable from a “new” book. Maybe the tiiiiiiniest corner bump, or sometimes a book has been removed from the shrink but is otherwise new. As has been said, there are exceptions, but I’ve personally never had an issue.

I use IST and CGN, but IST gets most of my  business. Their free shipping over $50, plus 2% loyalty discount typically makes them the better price, and they also pack the books perfectly.

CGN is good too, but they have a flat shipping rate of $7.99, which, while not bad, isn’t as good as the free shipping at IST. I’ve gotten a couple of their “Nick and dent” books and they did have noticeable flaws for sure.

So I go IST first, CGN if IST sells out, and if they’re both out, OPB. OPB is pricier than the others, but still cheaper than retail, and they also pack very well. They also offer a lot of coupons and discounts.

If all three are sold out, I go to eBay.

I only resort to Amazon if there is absolutely no other option, because regardless of the price, the book is practically guaranteed to get damaged in shipping, because they just do not try with packaging at all. I return probably 75% or more of the books that I have had to order from Amazon.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:10 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

A year in Taschen.

20230208_093839.jpg

Great set! I love Taschen's comic-related books. Well, most of their books, really, but these are the only ones I'm interested in. They just all look so nice and well-made. I have the 75 Years of Marvel and 75 Years of DC first print XXL editions, plus a small stack of their little books. If only they weren't so expensive, I'd probably have more, heh.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:29 PM, Cocomonkey said:

Great set! I love Taschen's comic-related books. Well, most of their books, really, but these are the only ones I'm interested in. They just all look so nice and well-made. I have the 75 Years of Marvel and 75 Years of DC first print XXL editions, plus a small stack of their little books. If only they weren't so expensive, I'd probably have more, heh.

I passed on the 75 Years XXL books and wish I hadn't! They are expensive now! Do you have any pics of -especially - the Golden Age sections?:foryou:

The EC book is excellent - and there are the Krazy Kat and Little Nemo books. And I suppose the XXL book on pin-ups is relevant.{Just did a count and I have 25 of these monsters all told - mainly artist monographs. If they keep coming, I'm gonna need a bigger boat!]

That reminds me, we are promised an X-Men volume next, followed by Spidey volume 2, Silver Surfer, and possibly Incredible Hulk and Golden Age Cap!

It seems Taschen are just getting started...

Just to follow up on my last post - some updated info yesterday from someone who is actually working on Taschen's Marvel books [posting on the Collected Editions Forum]. He says that the X-Men is Silver Age, covering #1-#21. They are working on Spidey vol 2 and the Silver Surfer volume simultaneously - he doesn't know which of those two will be published first, and he hasn't said anything yet about the contents; but these three are definitely in the pipeline for this year.

Sorry if this is old news but instocktrades has the "Aliens: The Original Years" Vol 3 for $77.50.

Vol 1 and 2 are easy to find at that discounted price but the best I had seen for Vol 3 was about $95 until I noticed this. 

Vol 4 is coming out this month, btw.

Also I noticed that they have the Darkhorse "Alien: The Original Screenplay" TPB for $5.99.  I hadn't seen that before so I picked it up.  With some quick searching it looks to me like $5.99 can't be beat.

Edited by Turnando