• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

good deal?

65 posts in this topic

well it's a good deal because it didn't get any last minute bidding. On the other hand I don't know if I would feel comfortable paying $1500 on an issue as common as 42 frown.gif

Ericc123

Well it is a minor silver age key...And the highest graded copy. One of my favs actually, I think you guys are really underestimating the power of Mary Jane... smile.gif

Toke toke....

In all seriousness to any ASM collector this is a big book to have in high grade, if this copy had better centering I would have taken it home.

Last 9.6 I saw for sale went for $1599 on Ebay, I sold another 9.6 last year for $2400.

I think the high bidder got a more than decent deal on this book.

What Matt(Notch-Top) said.

8 copies on the census in 9.6, none higher. I can account for the location of 4 of them. I've only seen 3 DIFFERENT copies on the market(in 9.6) in the last 2 years, 2 of them which were bounced around.

Perhaps ASM #42 is more common as far as higher grade VF to VF/NM copies, but common in HG and common in NM+ 9.6 are 2 different things. If you guys have raw NM+ 42's coming out of your @ss, by all means submit them or sell them to me.

You guys are wacked. ooo.gifgrin.gif

I would not pay that for that book - but I love people like Notch who could have and would have taken it home but for ...... Check the high grade resale prices at the last Heritage auction. Some poor fool lost his [!@#%^&^] on all those 9.4/9.6 Spideys. I was looking at the Spidey 15 9.4 which did not sell for half what it had been selling for last year. I did buy the Spidey 4 9.4 which is the highest copy though. If you are a real gambler or have a few thousand to spare - or few hundred thousand like the owner of the Spidey 1 9.6 - those 9.6 books are the way to go. The highest risk but also the biggest potential for gain - if no other super high grade copies come along and the relatively new cgc market prices hold up over time. The buyer of this book buys a lot of high grade books though and tends to pay more than what I think makes good sense. So I do not think it ws a deal at all. More like a gamble and a hope.

I think paying almost 8x guide for a 9.6 is crazy. I certainly think it's a rare book in super high grade, but I don't believe it will sustain it's value over a long period of time. Just my opinion.

agreed. 8 copies in 9.6 is not, to me, a 'scarce' book and not a good deal at these prices. (Like thinking AOL at $80 a share was a good deal like Gerry Levin did a few years back.) There's a lotta settling yet to come because these prices have risen way too fast of late. And if you are thinking along the lines that we are "in a whole new era of comics pricing"...then refer back to the sweet deal Gerry Levin made back in 2000. That was a capitulation to the "new e-conomy" that was supposed to lift the Dow to 30,000 and throw all the rules out the window.

As the CGC excitement wears off, and more books come out and the hobby moves on to the next wave of price-jacking phenomenons, there will be a lot of buried collectors no longer so happy with their prized possessions.

He didn't lose money....he was the original consignor and the bidder renegged.

Bonds, Clobberintime,

I wasn't talking about future apreciation, just referring to current market value. In this market, you won't be able to get a 9.4 for less than $700. 9.4's have CONSISTENTLY sold for between $700-$900 for the last 2 years, so given those prices, a 9.6 is about right at $1500 CURRENTLY. Comiclink recently sold another 9.6 for well over 2K, so in the current market this was a decent price.

Again, I'm not talking about future investment, and that's not the sole reason people buy books. Again, I have data to back this up, it's not an opinion.

This whole debate over whether tons more Silver 9.4's and 9.6's are on their way, has been discussed to death on these boards.

My point was not how this book will perform in the future, but the CURRENT market value. Gman asked if this was a good deal, which is in the context of the present market. You guys are answering with your opinions on whether you would pay $1500 for the book or not, which is fine, but I'm answering his question based on data for the current market. Maybe you guys are right about the future of this book, and maybe you aren't, but to say $1500 is CURRENTLY not a good deal in THIS market(not just to you) is incorrect.

I have a headache now. Time for beer. grin.gif

Thanks, gman...I just spewed pepsi out of my nose after seeing the price tag on that book...$1,500 for ASM 42....I don't see it....I can purchase some nice GAers at that price and have money left over for dinner and a movie... crazy.gif