• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and everything Dark Horse
8 8

795 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, F For Fake said:

"See? Look! I'm playing with it! It's worth it! Let me keep it, please!"

yeah, that's part of the problem. They are lovely art objects, but they're just not very...useful. Like, I loved OWNING that Aliens game, but after you've beaten it a couple of times, you'd never want to play it again. And Pac-Man is a game with a lot of playability, but I am still terrible at it ha It gets a good workout whenever we have a Xmas or Halloween party or something. Kids still find those huge machines fascinating.

For sure. I bought recently a countertop arcade of TMNT, as the price was half that of the full one. It still had both games original TMNT arcade and Turtles in Time.

I did have a friend join in the first I played it. Now arcade 1up is doing wifi leader board, I haven't messed with it, but I assume to be able to unplug and keep data.

There are also difficulty settings and a headphone jack.

Speaking of smoking I feel like the Virginia slimes commercial, come a long way hahah.

But to remenisce is fun!...

Did aliens 3 only come out for Sega? @Dr. Dank I didn't remember it at blockbuster but didn't ever have a Sega... 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

For sure. I bought recently a countertop arcade of TMNT, as the price was half that of the full one. It still had both games original TMNT arcade and Turtles in Time.

I did have a friend join in the first I played it. Now arcade 1up is doing wifi leader board, I haven't messed with it, but I assume to be able to unplug and keep data.

Speaking of smoking I feel like the Virginia slimes commercial, come a long way hahah.

Did aliens 3 only come out for Sega? @Dr. Dank I didn't remember it at blockbuster but didn't ever have a Sega... 

As far as I recall, yes

There was an Alien vs Predator that came out for SuperNES around the same time, but as far as I know, Genesis was the only platform that had Alien3.

I could be very well mistaken though

On 11/4/2021 at 3:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Alien 3 was on Genesis, Game Gear, and NES for sure.

Update:forgot it was on SNES as well. It was one of those games they launched on pretty much every platform, expecting success tied into the franchise. I don't think anyone was prepared for how dour and dark the actual movie was going to be, meaning game sales probably weren't nearly what they expected.

Edited by F For Fake

The NES version is still fairly expensive. For instance, I can get a sealed decent copy of the Genesis version for about $200. Meanwhile, the NES version sealed will run closer to $1k. There was a graded NES copy on CLink a couple of weeks ago, I was pretty confident in my bid. It sold for over $2k, I wasn't even close!

On 11/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, Dr. Dank said:

As far as I recall, yes

There was an Alien vs Predator that came out for SuperNES around the same time, but as far as I know, Genesis was the only platform that had Alien3.

I could be very well mistaken though

ah well that explains why I didn't see it maybe... I was out of the loop on exclusives back then haha

On 11/4/2021 at 2:55 PM, F For Fake said:

Alien 3 was on Genesis, Game Gear, and NES for sure.

ah ya, I had some but mostly hand me downs from cousins. and even then RPG types like ACTRAISER or some such.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, F For Fake said:

The NES version is still fairly expensive. For instance, I can get a sealed decent copy of the Genesis version for about $200. Meanwhile, the NES version sealed will run closer to $1k. There was a graded NES copy on CLink a couple of weeks ago, I was pretty confident in my bid. It sold for over $2k, I wasn't even close!

:whatthe: speaking of hand me downs, I remember my friends had Nintendo Powers (that I now slab and collect) that were pristine, that their parents wouldn't let them use, cause "cheating" and we paid for this game, not getting a new one till you beat it yadda yadda :roflmao: 

One friend had 2 Zelda's: one to open and play, the other for safe keeps, it was like 3 years before he got a new game lol and I met him at year 2 wa wa wahhaaha

On 11/4/2021 at 3:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah well that explains why I didn't see it maybe... I was out of the loop on exclusives back then haha

ah ya, I had some but mostly hand me downs from cousins. and even then RPG types like ACTRAISER or some such.

:whatthe: speaking of hand me downs, I remember my friends had Nintendo Powers (that I now slab and collect) that were pristine, that their parents wouldn't let them use, cause "cheating" and we paid for this game, not getting a new one till you beat it yadda yadda :roflmao: 

One friend had 2 Zelda's: one to open and play, the other for safe keeps, it was like 3 years before he got a new game lol and I met him at year 2 wa wa wahhaaha

Wow, that was pretty  forward thinking for a kid at that age, to keep one sealed. I know that I didn't get many games as a kid, so if I got one, I sure wasn't going to use up that slot on a sealed copy of something I already had! Hopefully he's still got it, and is laughing all the way to the bank.

I often wonder about the sealed games on the secondhand market these days, how they survived that long. I always assumed that the majority were old store stock, dead stock etc. But stories like yours proves that there were folks out there collecting them for the sake of collecting!

On 11/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, F For Fake said:

Wow, that was pretty  forward thinking for a kid at that age, to keep one sealed. I know that I didn't get many games as a kid, so if I got one, I sure wasn't going to use up that slot on a sealed copy of something I already had! Hopefully he's still got it, and is laughing all the way to the bank.

I often wonder about the sealed games on the secondhand market these days, how they survived that long. I always assumed that the majority were old store stock, dead stock etc. But stories like yours proves that there were folks out there collecting them for the sake of collecting!

That's my thoughts as well 

On 11/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, F For Fake said:

For reals. but it was his parents that were forward thinking. Like 2 hours to play (and figure out Zelda) a day during the week, weekends he had to play outside. The house was immaculately clean. I didn't like to go by that person's house, not that he wasn't fun, but I thought one day, I'd mess up something lol 

But Parents at that era started the get out and play petition. lol it's a regular thing now.

To your point, my parents used Blockbuster, I could rent one game and always have a game rented. When it came to buying a game I was sol 

On 11/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

For reals. but it was his parents that were forward thinking. Like 2 hours to play (and figure out Zelda) a day during the week, weekends he had to play outside. The house was immaculately clean. I didn't like to go by that person's house, not that he wasn't fun, but I thought one day, I'd mess up something lol 

But Parents at that era started the get out and play petition. lol it's a regular thing now.

To your point, my parents used Blockbuster, I could rent one game and always have a game rented. When it came to buying a game I was sol 

Yeah, chances were good I would get a game for Xmas or my birthday, but they were strictly a "big present" deal. Othewise i was down at the Kroger renting "Nintendo tapes", as we called them back then!

I missed out on this at the local con, the 2 and 3 looked like strong 9.6s but the 1 was a solid 9.2 at most.

Saw these on ebay, and with shipping to Canada included, they are nearly double what I could have got at the con.

Very glad to have gotten these. Definitely grading worthy

I've seen these around, many times, but I had no idea they were glossy stock covers. If I do get them graded they will need a press. Excellent condition still, though. Not sure if atomic comics was the ebay store I bought from, but always nice to see a store stamp. Have a collection of stamped boards

20211112_142818.jpg

20211112_142944.jpg

20211112_143034.jpg

20211112_143248.jpg

On 11/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, F For Fake said:

My friends give me grief all the time because I'm the guy who buys a game/movie/etc. intending to use it, and then it sits on my shelf unopened. This past year I went through my storage bins and had a couple of sill-sealed Final Fantasy Game Boy Advance games and a sealed Halo 1. I sold 3 sealed games for just over $1,000. All of my other games have all the boxes, manuals and every insert intact. Since I don't play them anymore and I don't collect them, they were just taking up space. I sold a bunch for a couple thousand, and flipped that money into graded, "blue chip" comics I wanted. Glad I have such weird bad habits! xD

On 11/12/2021 at 11:57 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

My friends give me grief all the time because I'm the guy who buys a game/movie/etc. intending to use it, and then it sits on my shelf unopened. This past year I went through my storage bins and had a couple of sill-sealed Final Fantasy Game Boy Advance games and a sealed Halo 1. I sold 3 sealed games for just over $1,000. All of my other games have all the boxes, manuals and every insert intact. Since I don't play them anymore and I don't collect them, they were just taking up space. I sold a bunch for a couple thousand, and flipped that money into graded, "blue chip" comics I wanted. Glad I have such weird bad habits! xD

That makes sense to me. I generally keep movies sealed until I'm ready to watch them. There have been many times that they've gone OOP before I watched them, and prices jumped, so it made for an easy decision to sell. So I get it. I used to do the same with hardcover comics, but we had so many quality control and printing issues over the last few years, these days I open them up as soon as I get them, to check for defects. 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:33 PM, The Meta said:

I missed out on this at the local con, the 2 and 3 looked like strong 9.6s but the 1 was a solid 9.2 at most.

Saw these on ebay, and with shipping to Canada included, they are nearly double what I could have got at the con.

Very glad to have gotten these. Definitely grading worthy

I've seen these around, many times, but I had no idea they were glossy stock covers. If I do get them graded they will need a press. Excellent condition still, though. Not sure if atomic comics was the ebay store I bought from, but always nice to see a store stamp. Have a collection of stamped boards

20211112_142818.jpg

20211112_142944.jpg

20211112_143034.jpg

20211112_143248.jpg

Great set, great books. This is one of those that tends to either be on a wall, or in a dollar bin. I paid $50 or so for a set about 20 years ago, and since them I've seen them priced much higher. I've also fished several copies out of dollar bins. I'm currently without a set, though. Better fix that soon!

On 11/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, F For Fake said:

Great set, great books. This is one of those that tends to either be on a wall, or in a dollar bin. I paid $50 or so for a set about 20 years ago, and since them I've seen them priced much higher. I've also fished several copies out of dollar bins. I'm currently without a set, though. Better fix that soon!

These will be in my personal collection for awhile. 

I loved that movie and I never did get a chance to grab a set

On 11/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, F For Fake said:

That makes sense to me. I generally keep movies sealed until I'm ready to watch them. There have been many times that they've gone OOP before I watched them, and prices jumped, so it made for an easy decision to sell. So I get it. I used to do the same with hardcover comics, but we had so many quality control and printing issues over the last few years, these days I open them up as soon as I get them, to check for defects. 

I still have sealed copies of the Dark Tower and Killing Joke Deluxe hardcovers sitting here - just never got around to cracking them open...

On 11/17/2021 at 2:25 PM, The Meta said:

These will be in my personal collection for awhile. 

I loved that movie and I never did get a chance to grab a set

Well worth hanging onto! Beautiful Bolton work. And the way every "first appearance' is popping off these days, I'd think the first appearance of Ash in a comic should count for something, considering how Evil Dead is a cottage industry of movies/shows/toys etc. these days.

So, these are 2001 releases, so they're definitely Modern, not Copper, but this is also the everything Dark Horse thread, so, hey, seemed a better fit here than in the random bins of Modern stuff.

In 2001, Dark Horse published a 64-page one-shot anthology book as a spinoff to Blizzard's Diablo video game franchise. Obviously, it's a little awkward to cheerlead for Activision/Blizzard overmuch right now, but in 2001 they were still the good guys. I digress... The book's surprisingly good, on the whole. Phil Amara and Dave Land writing, Francisco Ruiz Velasco did the art and cover. Print run was ... not high, but it's tough to determine. It doesn't seem to show up in any of Comichron's records for Previews orders for 2001, but smart money is on 5000 (or possibly fewer) copies. There are a couple 9.8s on census, but this is a tough book in the high grades in general. The combination of an all-black cover with squarebound binding makes nearly all available copies (that aren't just beaters) firmly in the 9.0/9.2 range at best. For the record, no chance at flipping this copy into a 9.8, it's got a little corner trauma and was graded correctly.

PXL_20211127_222452874.thumb.jpg.5d8ac77519d9a1ff122c8bb65ccf9062.jpgPXL_20211127_222514036.thumb.jpg.058137c3b968b5195b13e3746868f26a.jpg

But speaking of beaters, I've got another copy of this book, except it looks like this:

PXL_20211127_222402096.thumb.jpg.c849b91398401e67ff4772857d2f44f7.jpgPXL_20211127_222422251.thumb.jpg.23c439f4351273a3b8aa58dec32b1c7f.jpg

CGC has slabbed one copy of this as the "variant cover" (a 9.0). This copy would be lucky to hit 6.0, with abuse to all the edges and corners, plus a constellation of spine ticks (including one that's frankly a tear more than a tick). But whatever, it's not getting slabbed. I may slab drek, but I don't slab beat drek. On the other hand, I would absolutely like to learn more about this "variant cover". For starters, I don't think that's what this really is (okay, yes, it has a different cover, so that's not wrong). It doesn't have a cover price, or an ISBN, so this was presumably some sort of promotional giveaway (but, for the record, identical inside cover copy / copyright / indicia). Anyone know where this came from? Advertising promo or convention swag seem the most likely choices. Whatever this book actually was, it's a whole lot less common in the secondary market than the already kinda low print-run normal edition.

Also, if someone happens to have one of these that stands a reasonable chance of grading out at 9.2+, well, you know where to find me. :wishluck:

On 11/27/2021 at 3:47 PM, Qalyar said:

So, these are 2001 releases, so they're definitely Modern, not Copper, but this is also the everything Dark Horse thread, so, hey, seemed a better fit here than in the random bins of Modern stuff.

In 2001, Dark Horse published a 64-page one-shot anthology book as a spinoff to Blizzard's Diablo video game franchise. Obviously, it's a little awkward to cheerlead for Activision/Blizzard overmuch right now, but in 2001 they were still the good guys. I digress... The book's surprisingly good, on the whole. Phil Amara and Dave Land writing, Francisco Ruiz Velasco did the art and cover. Print run was ... not high, but it's tough to determine. It doesn't seem to show up in any of Comichron's records for Previews orders for 2001, but smart money is on 5000 (or possibly fewer) copies. There are a couple 9.8s on census, but this is a tough book in the high grades in general. The combination of an all-black cover with squarebound binding makes nearly all available copies (that aren't just beaters) firmly in the 9.0/9.2 range at best. For the record, no chance at flipping this copy into a 9.8, it's got a little corner trauma and was graded correctly.

PXL_20211127_222452874.thumb.jpg.5d8ac77519d9a1ff122c8bb65ccf9062.jpgPXL_20211127_222514036.thumb.jpg.058137c3b968b5195b13e3746868f26a.jpg

But speaking of beaters, I've got another copy of this book, except it looks like this:

PXL_20211127_222402096.thumb.jpg.c849b91398401e67ff4772857d2f44f7.jpgPXL_20211127_222422251.thumb.jpg.23c439f4351273a3b8aa58dec32b1c7f.jpg

CGC has slabbed one copy of this as the "variant cover" (a 9.0). This copy would be lucky to hit 6.0, with abuse to all the edges and corners, plus a constellation of spine ticks (including one that's frankly a tear more than a tick). But whatever, it's not getting slabbed. I may slab drek, but I don't slab beat drek. On the other hand, I would absolutely like to learn more about this "variant cover". For starters, I don't think that's what this really is (okay, yes, it has a different cover, so that's not wrong). It doesn't have a cover price, or an ISBN, so this was presumably some sort of promotional giveaway (but, for the record, identical inside cover copy / copyright / indicia). Anyone know where this came from? Advertising promo or convention swag seem the most likely choices. Whatever this book actually was, it's a whole lot less common in the secondary market than the already kinda low print-run normal edition.

Also, if someone happens to have one of these that stands a reasonable chance of grading out at 9.2+, well, you know where to find me. :wishluck:

I'm willing to bet there is a BlizzCon factor in this....

Awesome books, I'd love to get my hands on something like this

Edited by The Meta