• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and everything Dark Horse
8 8

795 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2022 at 10:28 PM, F For Fake said:

Stoked to have won this guy on CLink last night for EIGHTEEN DAMN DOLLARS. Amazing. It's a "lowly" 9.6, but that makes it the single highest graded copy! So odd that there aren't more of these slabbed. I know the Authority/Stormwatch have cooled in popularity, but at one time this was a hot book as it killed off the remainder of Stormwatch, and was considered the "first appearance" of the Authority. Anyhow, yeah, happy to have it, but feel bad for the sellers, it has been a bloodbath on CLink this round. I snapped up a huge collection of Stormwatch books for a registry set, most of them for under $20, well below the cost of slabbing, and most of them were the single highest graded copy, or the ONLY graded copy. Crazy times.

Wildcats Aliens.jpg

I dig it.(thumbsu

On 11/13/2022 at 5:22 AM, Parabellum said:

Finally got a copy.

D5FAABEE-DD81-4900-AC0D-F1B2F3553323.jpeg

Nice! Looks like a clean copy, too!

On 11/14/2022 at 8:10 AM, Parabellum said:

It’s decent, probably a 8.0-8.5.

That's about as nice as I've seen. I'm not sure if it's the way it was printed, or the way they were handled after the fact, but most of these books seem to have issues. There are two 9.8's and two 9.6's in the census, I'd love to see one of those.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:54 PM, F For Fake said:

That's about as nice as I've seen. I'm not sure if it's the way it was printed, or the way they were handled after the fact, but most of these books seem to have issues. There are two 9.8's and two 9.6's in the census, I'd love to see one of those.

Im willing to guess the way they were handled.  Im sure no one thought they would be collectible at any point in time.

So, I think I mentioned that I recently did an inventory of my Aliens books, and I'm missing a few random things that surprised me. Either cases where my LCS failed to pull the books for me, and I just assumed I had them, or random weird variants that I didn't feel like chasing at the time.

Oddly enough, I was currently missing AvPvT #2. That shocked me, as I know I've had several complete sets of this series over the years. Anyway, grabbed a nice #2 at a decent price.

Next was the Aliens Vampirella variant. This is one of the easy to find books in this set, so I'd not been in a hurry. But I figured I may as well cross it off, as the Aliens Vampi books are some of the toughest to find, in my estimation. The virgin and b&w variants of 2-6 are ghosts. This series came out during the gap where I wasn't buying new comics at all (even Aliens stuff) and I missed them completely. Once I started buying new books again, I found that this series was oddly difficult to track down. I have a set of the regular covers, but the variants are very spotty in my collection, and not at all easy to track down after issue #1. I guess this was a crossover that flew under the radar for most folks.

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

On 11/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, F For Fake said:

So, I think I mentioned that I recently did an inventory of my Aliens books, and I'm missing a few random things that surprised me. Either cases where my LCS failed to pull the books for me, and I just assumed I had them, or random weird variants that I didn't feel like chasing at the time.

Oddly enough, I was currently missing AvPvT #2. That shocked me, as I know I've had several complete sets of this series over the years. Anyway, grabbed a nice #2 at a decent price.

Next was the Aliens Vampirella variant. This is one of the easy to find books in this set, so I'd not been in a hurry. But I figured I may as well cross it off, as the Aliens Vampi books are some of the toughest to find, in my estimation. The virgin and b&w variants of 2-6 are ghosts. This series came out during the gap where I wasn't buying new comics at all (even Aliens stuff) and I missed them completely. Once I started buying new books again, I found that this series was oddly difficult to track down. I have a set of the regular covers, but the variants are very spotty in my collection, and not at all easy to track down after issue #1. I guess this was a crossover that flew under the radar for most folks.

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

Is the Vampirella vs Aliens any good?  Unlike most people I did like AVPVT though.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:50 AM, Parabellum said:

Is the Vampirella vs Aliens any good?  Unlike most people I did like AVPVT though.

Ha, unfortunately, no, it's pretty terrible. At least in my estimation. And that may be why it's difficult to find, as neither property was really doing big sales at the time, and it seemed like a silly idea. So I'm assuming a lot of folks passed it by. So as a reading experience, no, can't recommend it. But if you see the books on the cheap, they're well worth picking up.

Although I am on record as generally not being a fan of Alien crossovers, I did actually like AvPvT a lot! I thought it was a lot of fun, and made a coherent story out of what could have been a big mess. 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, F For Fake said:

Ha, unfortunately, no, it's pretty terrible. At least in my estimation. And that may be why it's difficult to find, as neither property was really doing big sales at the time, and it seemed like a silly idea. So I'm assuming a lot of folks passed it by. So as a reading experience, no, can't recommend it. But if you see the books on the cheap, they're well worth picking up.

Although I am on record as generally not being a fan of Alien crossovers, I did actually like AvPvT a lot! I thought it was a lot of fun, and made a coherent story out of what could have been a big mess. 

If I’m correct, this is a Baltimore Comic-Con variant to the series, which CPG and Key Collector don’t list at all:

3FE869D5-32D8-4815-BCAD-0E42E0B339A3.jpeg

Time to get this thread back on the first page! Some CLink pickups, they haven't arrived yet, but they're mine, I suppose. I was happy to pay $100 for the TFAW, i think it's undervalued. The Berserker I picked up on a lark, although I will say I think the series had some of the best covers in the entire DH run. 

thething1.jpg

Aliensberserker1.jpg