• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and everything Dark Horse
8 8

795 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Picked these up at a sale. Finally added to my collection!

20191218_202232.jpg

Can't go wrong with those beauties!

2 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

Based on a few inquiries on how to identify the different printings in Aliens and AVP books I decided to start picking them up.  I don’t have them all yet but I figured it would help to post some pics and point out the differences.  Hopefully this will help buyers with future purchases.  

Aliens #1 

first-third print have the same front and back cover, indica dictates printing, inside front cover has a different photo (I do not currently own a third print but the information is based on pics found in sold items on eBay)

fourth print does not have a border on the front cover like the first-third prints but has the same back cover, indica states fourth print 

fifth print has the same front cover as the fourth print but the rear cover is different.  Indica states fifth print

Publication dates respectively May 1988, Jul 1988, Sep 1989, Feb 1989, Mar 1989

79FEA321-4F4A-4127-9C20-F0E45DDBA43A.jpeg

564AB5A4-A7C2-4F42-A038-223CAE8AA58C.jpeg

078584F8-1DAF-40C4-B684-7627D3283289.jpeg

WHich one is the most coveted?

Aliens #2 

first-fourth prints all have the same cover, indica states the proper printing, inside front cover has a different photo with the exception of first and fourth prints, first and second prints have the same rear cover, third and fourth prints have the same image but the fourth print has darker colors

third printing cover blue ink is lighter than the other printings. This is consistent with both of my third printings.

Publication dates respectively Sept 1988, Oct 1988, Jan 1989, Jul 1989

D8B17E47-5C82-450E-BA86-EA235E645F63.jpeg

DA643681-63A4-438F-9968-FAAB2B25100D.jpeg

70E9D87C-DDE1-4128-BA16-EEF6A0655A2C.jpeg

Aliens #3 first-third printings front cover is the same, indica states the proper printing, the inside cover photo for the second and third print books are the same, rear covers have the same image but the third print has darker colors

Publication dates respectively Jan 1989, Feb 1989, Sep 1989

B7C4AE1F-31BC-42CC-B961-35578A67022B.jpeg

5B41DA3C-B146-443F-885B-C91F4EE0A3D4.jpeg

843FB455-A719-4C3E-8980-C59A734233D8.jpeg

Predator #1 first and second print have the same front and rear cover except that the front cover of the second print has a darker shade of blue on the birds and predator, indica states printing, the inside front cover has a different pattern of shading behind “Predator”

Publication dates respectively Jun 1989, Sept 1989

BD2B281E-90D9-40BB-B17A-8ADA6107F262.jpeg

090F293E-A780-49C2-BB1A-8C6CA6E1214D.jpeg

B7491984-A3C2-4386-8FA8-68297D2D4F9D.jpeg

Nice breakdown. I love seeing stuff like this on this forum

All my books are in storage, I would love to show you the different cuts of Predator #1, not sure if that is only with the first or carries over to the second print.

14 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How's the story?

Some covers were cut higher when they rolled out, Basically get more of the lower artwork. I can't quite remember, but from what I can recall, some covers were cut directly on the top lettering,and others had a artwork border above the lettering. Not sure how common or uncommon it is

• Predator (a.k.a. Predator: Concrete Jungle) 1-4 by Mark Verheiden, Chris Warner and Ron Randall, June 1989-March 1990
June 1989-March 1990: The events of Predator #1-4 revolve around NYC Detective Schaefer, the brother of Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer. Detective Schaefer and his partner, Detective Rasche, discover a Predator in New York City during a drug deal gone bad. Schaefer believes the Predator and a mysterious army general have a connection to his brother, Dutch, which leads Schaefer on a hunt into Colombia. There in South America Schaefer has yet another run in with a Predator as well as a Colombian drug lord - an old NYC adversary. Successfully eluding both, Schaefer is transported back to the U.S. only to find a government plot to hand him over to the Predators. Predator #1-4 are collected together as the trade paperback: Predator: Concrete Jungle. The title should not be confused with the game of the same name. The story was also presented as a paperback mass market novel which closely follows the events depicted in the comic.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

The mini series ... is it based off the movie?

Aliens 1988, Aliens 1989 and Earth War is a three part story arc.

Aliens 1988 starts years after the end of James Cameron Aliens.  It basically follows an older Newt and Hicks.  Great story.  The 1989 series (vol 2) is hands down my favorite mini series.

Just now, Parabellum said:

Aliens 1988, Aliens 1989 and Earth War is a three part story arc.

Aliens 1988 starts years after the end of James Cameron Aliens.  It basically follows an older Newt and Hicks.  Great story.  The 1989 series (vol 2) is hands down my favorite mini series.

I'll be honest, I've always liked the Aliens stories much more than the Predator ones.

I am very partial to Hive. Such a great concept and the art was fantastic as well

3 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I'll be honest, I've always liked the Aliens stories much more than the Predator ones.

I am very partial to Hive. Such a great concept and the art was fantastic as well

I really have a hard time picking a favorite out of the big three (Aliens, Predator, Terminator).  Hive was an excellent story.  Genocide was fantastic also. 

Gotta get myself some “Xenozip” lol.

Edited by Parabellum

2 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

I really have a hard time picking a favorite out of the big three (Aliens, Predator, Terminator).  Hive was an excellent story.  Genocide was fantastic also. 

Gotta get myself some “Xenozip” lol.

Genocide was very well done as well. The cover art is simply fantastic. I would love to get my hands on that OA

You know, I have the 1st issue of Terminator, but that's it. I might have to do some hunting.

I know I am missing a few of the first predators as well. Cold War and Big Game.

I have Race War 0-4, going to have to read that one again.