• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ghostbusters 3 (2020)
3 3

138 posts in this topic

Just left the theater and it hit home with me (enjoyed it).  It was paced like an 80s flick with decent character development which could feel slow and boring to current movie people.  The romance seemed forced with no chemistry (especially the teens).  It’s not going to win any awards but it came across as sweet and quirky which was fun.

Edited by 1Cool

BOX OFFICE PRO: Weekend Box Office Forecast 11/19/21

Reviews are somewhat unexpectedly leaning mixed, though still mostly positive. For months, advance screenings throughout at gatherings such as CinemaCon drove internal industry buzz that this would be a giant crowd-pleaser. That’s still likely to be the case, but a 66 percent Rotten Tomatoes score isn’t quite what was expected a few months ago and provides some reason for cautious optimism.

Regardless, this is seemingly strategized to be a movie that attracts an audience over time thanks to its family appeal, star Paul Rudd (now a household mainstay for all ages thanks to his Marvel credentials), and a strong young cast featuring heavily in marketing. That’s a combination of elements which films like No Time to Die and Dune didn’t quite boast (although each have posted solid box office runs strictly in terms of staying power) after their fan-driven ticket sales weren’t backed up by as much materialization of the wider swath of the general public turning out as once hoped.

Afterlife began IMAX previews on Wednesday evening, followed by a 4pm preview rollout in an estimated 3,450 locations on Thursday and wide release at 4,315 locations on Friday. The film has a full PLF footprint, IMAX included, for its first weekend and is exclusive to movie theaters.

Box_Office_Estimate211119.thumb.PNG.ee0302f0a8f2ac816927ce8767f80efd.PNG

10% behind Dune's preview #, yet 25% behind opening weekend? i don't think so. even matching Dune's 8x multiple gets you to $36MM (and GA not available on streaming). even with terrible Metacritic & RT scores, $40MM wouldn't be surprising. HSX & Box Office Pro both guessing $45MM.

Edited by paperheart

On 11/19/2021 at 12:57 PM, paperheart said:

10% behind Dune's preview #, yet 25% behind opening weekend? i don't think so. even matching Dune's 8x multiple gets you to $36MM (and GA not available on streaming). even with terrible Metacritic & RT scores, $40MM wouldn't be surprising. HSX & Box Office Pro both guessing $45MM.

This movie has a much shorter window to profitability.  The budget was only $75 million. So they only need to get to about $200 million to make money.  Should get there WW easily.  It does not need to do as well to be successful. 

Disney should maybe consider this.  When you spend $200 million to make a film, and need $500 million for profits.  That is a big hurtle to cross every time.  Maybe, thr MCU needs to make some smaller films, with lower expectations. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:57 AM, paperheart said:

blind squirrel finds acorn

Just saw it.  Was it a masterpiece, nope. I understand why the critics are lukewarm on it.  It does not break any new ground, the story is rather derivative, and it feels small.  Everyone in it is solid, but except for Phoebe is a little underdeveloped. 

With the negative out of the way.  I really enjoyed it.  It was well written and fit well within the GB mythos.  It felt like it was made in 1988 not 2021. This is why it worked so well for me it felt very confutable, like a had come home. Filled with nostalgia but in a good way, and it was just fun. It was carefree, simple and heartfelt.  You could tell it was made with love for the original films. I was entertained throughout.  Nothing was forced or out of place.  The ending could have come off terrible, but was done extraordinarily well, with just the right level of surprise (I am shocked they kept it a secret), and sentimentality. 

7 out of 10.

Edited by drotto