• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
33 33

2,478 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2023 at 5:52 PM, Black_Adam said:

I don't like shipping to cost more than 10% of the total transaction. With shipping to Canada from Comiclink $95 now, I basically don't bid on any comic where my starting bid would be less than $1k. 

It is $125 if you get 7-12 books so I usually do a dozen to lower the shipping per book as much as possible. 

I've tracked this over all of my transactions there, and after customs fees, shipping and exchange, the amount of the final hammer cost times 1.6 is what it comes to in CAD by the time everything is paid (e.g., a book that lands at $500 ends up costing $800 CAD when all is said and done). A couple of years ago it was typically about 1.4 to 1.5, so there has been an increase. As you point out, the lower the value of the books the higher the percent of cost goes to shipping, although it really isnt much of a factor in my CL purchases since shipping is only a shade over 10 USD per book. This is offset when you bargain hunt for cheaper books that typically go quite a bit under value. 

Sorry for the rambling but I am a data junkie so I track all sorts of stuff like this :) 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 2/2/2023 at 2:52 PM, Black_Adam said:

I don't like shipping to cost more than 10% of the total transaction. With shipping to Canada from Comiclink $95 now, I basically don't bid on any comic where my starting bid would be less than $1k. 

And just so people don't get the impression that Comiclink is the only auction house with painfully high shipping rates, I just received two slabs from Heritage (total value $950) and the shipping charge was $110.73!

My last shipment from Comiclink was $99, but that was for about 30 books, so it didn't seem outrageous to me. Still working on the current sesssion, and am sitting at 16 books at the moment, so hopefully it's a bit cheaper. 

On 2/8/2023 at 9:07 AM, Black_Adam said:

And just so people don't get the impression that Comiclink is the only auction house with painfully high shipping rates, I just received two slabs from Heritage (total value $950) and the shipping charge was $110.73!

wow

On 2/8/2023 at 6:07 AM, Black_Adam said:

And just so people don't get the impression all auction houses and/or comic dealers charge painfully high shipping rates, my last shipment of a slab and x3 raws from MCS to Canada was...$18.

On 2/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, silverseeker said:

I wonder if they're giving up on the stickers as a cost-cutting measure?

Honestly, in the past I've gotten a batch without stickers and got myself all excited that the sticker days are done but I turned out to be wrong.  :)

That said, let me add to the data:  I just got ten books today, and eight of them had no sticker.  The two with stickers were both the newer, smaller, black stickers (as opposed to the older, larger, MUCH-harder-to-remove white stickers), but to be clear it's quite possible that they got those stickers from a previous time through the ComicLink process.  These books do often get sold on the site multiple times in their lives.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 2/9/2023 at 8:16 PM, COI said:

I will never understand the stickers, nor do I understand why there hasn't been enough of a backlash in the last 20+ years to get them to stop. I have slabs that have nasty residue on the back of them because of this stupid, inconsiderate practice. If I had my way, everyone would demand C-Link pay to re-holder all the slabs they've damaged over the years with their nonsense. No one buying the books wants the stickers there, and I fail to see how those stickers benefit C-Link in terms of marketing. To me, it's the equivalent of piszing on them to mark that they were once your territory. 

As long as I've been on this forum there have been complaints, and nothing changes. Maybe this bothers me more that should, but it's JUST. SO. DUMB. As if CGC didn't give us enough reasons with their lack of quality control to have to re-holder books, C-Link and others insist on damaging slabs so that you know 'they were here'.

Someone tried to start a petition a decade ago....

https://www.change.org/p/comiclink-stop-affixing-logo-stickers-to-comic-book-slabs?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition&utm_term=share_petition

On 2/9/2023 at 8:16 PM, COI said:

I will never understand the stickers, nor do I understand why there hasn't been enough of a backlash in the last 20+ years to get them to stop. I have slabs that have nasty residue on the back of them because of this stupid, inconsiderate practice. If I had my way, everyone would demand C-Link pay to re-holder all the slabs they've damaged over the years with their nonsense. No one buying the books wants the stickers there, and I fail to see how those stickers benefit C-Link in terms of marketing. To me, it's the equivalent of piszing on them to mark that they were once your territory. 

As long as I've been on this forum there have been complaints, and nothing changes. Maybe this bothers me more that should, but it's JUST. SO. DUMB. As if CGC didn't give us enough reasons with their lack of quality control to have to re-holder books, C-Link and others insist on damaging slabs so that you know 'they were here'.

I agree with everything you're saying here, except for calling it "damage" ... I mean, I get whet you are saying but I have removed a couple hundred of these stickers from the slabs and while that is a complete pain in the @$$ that should not be necessary, it is a pretty straightforward (if time consuming) process.  Just get some Goo Gone and they will come off pretty clean.  Less than 20 seconds of work for a black sticker, or 1-2 minutes to remove one of the old white stickers.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:21 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I agree with everything you're saying here, except for calling it "damage" ... I mean, I get whet you are saying but I have removed a couple hundred of these stickers from the slabs and while that is a complete pain in the @$$ that should not be necessary, it is a pretty straightforward (if time consuming) process.  Just get some Goo Gone and they will come off pretty clean.  Less than 20 seconds of work for a black sticker, or 1-2 minutes to remove one of the old white stickers.

I'm exaggerating for sure, but that's because I find it baffling that this conversation is still happening after all these years. Those stickers serve no purpose and people have been complaining, but C-Link persists for God knows what reason. And I'm not saying they're a bad company, because they're not, which is what makes it all so dumb and unnecessary. Put the sticker on the bag if you MUST put a sticker on something. I shouldn't have to take a trips to a craft store or spend any time at all making goo "be gone". We can call it vandalism if you want, because graffiti can also be removed or covered up. 

Edited by COI

On 2/9/2023 at 10:01 PM, COI said:

I'm exaggerating for sure, but that's because I find it baffling that this conversation is still happening after all these years. Those stickers serve no purpose and people have been complaining, but C-Link persists for God knows what reason. And I'm not saying they're a bad company, because they're not, which is what makes it all so dumb and unnecessary. Put the sticker on the bag if you MUST put a sticker on something. I shouldn't have to take a trips to a craft store or spend any time at all making goo "be gone". We can call it vandalism if you want, because graffiti can also be removed or covered up. 

Just put some olive oil on the sticker, let it soak in for a few minutes (use a paper towel so it stays in one place) and you can rub the sticker off. I have no idea what is in Goo Be Gone, but Olive Oil and a few others work well, baby oil especially....

Also Jojoba (Trader Joes has it) and Coconut oil...

Those are the ones I've tried that I have at home, stuff I had in closets. I have also put some olive oil on a q-tip swab put that in the microwave for 15 seconds and it seems to take the last streaks off better.

Bottom line...C-link, please get some nice bags and put your stickers ON the bags...I don't think too many people love having your advertising on their comics.

Edited by skypinkblu
added some oils.