• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

Jason Momoa, a big supporter of his heritage and people, is protesting a major construction site tears up a large portion of protected land.

So as part of supporting the protest, he posted a snarky message implying he is so involved at the construction site he was run over by a bulldozer.

image.png.08c7cff73e94ff74ee2a889710329507.png

So now sites are running the story Momoa quits Aquaman 2 because he cannot work for major studios going forward.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, Callaway29 said:

He’s getting publicity for his cause, which I’m assuming is his whole agenda with the bulldozer comment and such..

He's trying to bring attention to the topic where commercial construction is tearing up land which is considered sacred to the local Hawaiian people.

The way Jason Momoa describes Hawaii's beloved dormant volcano, Mauna Kea, makes you understand why it's considered sacred.

"It's kind of the umbilical cord to earth," the actor tells CNN. "You know, if you think about the Hawaiian islands, that's the biggest mountain in the world, right? All the way up. So Mauna Kea is the most sacred. They call it the belly button, too. That's like our birth place. You can imagine that in the middle of the ocean. That's how our islands were formed. So how can that not be sacred?"

He would know. Momoa, a native of Hawaii, has had a near-constant presence there when he's not working, fighting with local protestors to stop the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope, or TMT, which would drill directly into the mountain and, according to critics of the project, invade its precious water supply. (Between the foot of Mauna Kea and the summit measures 10,000 meters, making it the "tallest" mountain in the world.)

So far, protestors have successfully blocked the only road crews seeking to ascend the mountain in order to build the billion-dollar observatory can use.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

He's trying to bring attention to the topic where commercial construction is tearing up land which is considered sacred to the local Hawaiian people.

Yes, that is his cause/agenda. I have no dog in that fight...but leveraging your fans’ love of the aquaman franchise, which he doesn’t own but is lucky enough to be an integral part of, feels cheap (saying he couldn’t film aquaman because he got hit by a bulldozer). 

10 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Yes, that is his cause/agenda. I have no dog in that fight...but leveraging your fans’ love of the aquaman franchise, which he doesn’t own but is lucky enough to be an integral part of, feels cheap (saying he couldn’t film aquaman because he got hit by a bulldozer). 

I see it differently. Not to make light of your opinion.

If anything, not only putting a spotlight on an important cause to his people. But also conveying a little bit of humor so it doesn't come across as a hardcore environmentalist.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I see it differently. Not to make light of your opinion.

If anything, not only putting a spotlight on an important cause to his people. But also conveying a little bit of humor so it doesn't come across as a hardcore environmentalist.

I admit if that was his intent it’s less offensive, and certainly fits with his personality (from what I’ve seen)...so fair point!

Isn’t it great when two people can have differing opinions yet still respect each other, and the fact that the opposing opinion is just as valid as their own opinion?! Seems like a rarity these days...everyone feels compelled to argue their opinion as fact, and quickly jump to battle to the death with all that don’t agree.

Wow, where did that rant come from? Lol, slowly stepping down from my soap box...:preach:

Hope it starts filming soon because I loved the first Aquaman movie. The score  was so good and very memorable with so many main themes, something you don’t see often these days. Probably my favorite score since Fellowship of the Ring. 

Plus I loved the cast and James Wan’s underwater world and direction. Fun movie, easily the best thing DC has put out since The Dark Knight IMO.  That final scene had our entire theater clapping too. Just loved it. 

27 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I admit if that was his intent it’s less offensive, and certainly fits with his personality (from what I’ve seen)...so fair point!

Isn’t it great when two people can have differing opinions yet still respect each other, and the fact that the opposing opinion is just as valid as their own opinion?! Seems like a rarity these days...everyone feels compelled to argue their opinion as fact, and quickly jump to battle to the death with all that don’t agree.

Wow, where did that rant come from? Lol, slowly stepping down from my soap box...:preach:

<3:foryou:

Most are here to have fun and talk about these things we appreciate.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, Bosco685 said:

I could understand and sympathize with his position if they were building Condos on the location or strip mining it, but they're building a telescope - an instrument designed to explore, investigate, discover and increase our (including the Hawaiians) knowledge of the universe. Now instead of just being important to the Hawaiians, it will help the whole of humanity learn more about itself and its place in the universe. 

28 minutes ago, Antpark said:

I could understand and sympathize with his position if they were building Condos on the location or strip mining it, but they're building a telescope - an instrument designed to explore, investigate, discover and increase our (including the Hawaiians) knowledge of the universe. Now instead of just being important to the Hawaiians, it will help the whole of humanity learn more about itself and its place in the universe. 

It sounds like there is an alternate location, but my guess is this one is the easiest to access. FWIW, I would rather see them take the $1B and put it towards a telescope on the ISS or a sattelite. Or, why not just expand/replace an existing site with the larger telescope? 

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, Antpark said:

There's your logical and sensible alternative right there.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

It sounds like there is an alternate location, but my guess is this one is the easiest to access. FWIW, I would rather see them take the $1B and put it towards a telescope on the ISS or a sattelite. Or, why not just expand/replace an existing site with the larger telescope? 

So rather than take down this sacred mountain which has fired up people from the area, cease work and invest this into an existing structure needing extensive upgrades. No reason to take up more land. And especially land like this which means something to a people's heritage.

:foryou: