• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 11:43 AM, Gruson said:

I thought she was just fine in part 1 and they were good together. 

Like Hamada noted: movie magic with the right scenes and soundtrack blended together.

On 5/25/2022 at 6:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Personally, I don't think that Hamada knows WTF he's talking about. Same guy couldn't keep Cavill, Affleck, and Fisher around. I take his analysis with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I get it, I don't like the guy either, but when the top guy at the studio who is being questioned under oath about Amber Heard's role and says she never had a big part, and was almost recast, there really isn't anywhere else for her lawyers to go in that line of questioning.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:24 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I get it, I don't like the guy either, but when the top guy at the studio who is being questioned under oath about Amber Heard's role and says she never had a big part, and was almost recast, there really isn't anywhere else for her lawyers to go in that line of questioning.

And now that it is clear Jason Momoa had concerns with her on the film - and that is publicly known - it will be interesting what happens after Aquaman 2.

Blake Lively Emerges as Popular Pick with Fans to Replace Amber Heard in Aquaman 2

blake_lively.thumb.PNG.4514d4da8c7f95ef724597a28e67e6a5.PNG

On 5/25/2022 at 4:41 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Personally, I don't think that Hamada knows WTF he's talking about. Same guy couldn't keep Cavill, Affleck, and Fisher around. I take his analysis with a grain of salt.

And add in the fact he was against Joaquin Phoenix for the Joker at the start and had to be convinced by the Director and others to stay the eff out of the way. 

Based on the performance of the DCCU under his "guidance", he should have been canned already.

That being said, Heard is untouchable right now so it will be interesting to see how the studio handles the movie. Even cutting her down to a bit role will likely result in backlash at the box office. I was fine with her in the first film, but now there is just too much negative press to not have her impact the numbers.

Edited by kimik

On 5/25/2022 at 5:24 PM, media_junkie said:

He is just following their lawyers' advice re: what to say. And, unless her lawyer's have something in writing, he can say whatever he wants to under oath. Basically, the testimony is part truth and part CYA for the studio for reducing her role in the film. I would be curious to see what is in her contract.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

And now that it is clear Jason Momoa had concerns with her on the film - and that is publicly known - it will be interesting what happens after Aquaman 2.

Blake Lively Emerges as Popular Pick with Fans to Replace Amber Heard in Aquaman 2

I think it depends on how long it takes to do an Aquaman 3. Short term she is untouchable. Remember, at one point RDJ was viewed as a junkie that no studio would seriously consider. Marvel took a chance on him in Iron Man and nobody remembers anything prior to that now. As the saying goes, people love a redemption story. 

On 5/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, kimik said:

And add in the fact he was against Joaquin Phoenix for the Joker at the start and had to be convinced by the Director and others to stay the eff out of the way. 

Based on the performance of the DCCU under his "guidance", he should have been canned already.

That being said, Heard is untouchable right now so it will be interesting to see how the studio handles the movie. Even cutting her down to a bit role will likely result in backlash at the box office. I was fine with her in the first film, but now there is just too much negative press to not have her impact the numbers.

He wasn't wrong about Phoenix 

He was to allow that movie to have anything to do with the DC universe 

On 5/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, kimik said:

I think it depends on how long it takes to do an Aquaman 3. Short term she is untouchable. Remember, at one point RDJ was viewed as a junkie that no studio would seriously consider. Marvel took a chance on him in Iron Man and nobody remembers anything prior to that now. As the saying goes, people love a redemption story. 

That's actually not true. Mel Gibson and Jody Foster worked with RDJ to rebuild his credibility leading to performances that gave Marvel Studios comfort later on. Which is why when Mel Gibson was on the outs, RDJ was campaigning to have Kevin Feige to cast him in the MCU.

Robert Downey Jr. Wants Mel Gibson in The Marvel Cinematic Universe

The reason for Robert Downey Jr.'s comeback success? His talent speaks for itself and while his role in Shane Black's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang certainly earned RDJ respect on his return tour, it was director Jon Favreau and the decision-makers at young Marvel Studios in 2007 that put the actor back on the map when casting him as Tony Stark in their first self-financed production, Iron Man. After a second Oscar nomination and starring in three of the top five grossing movies of all-time, Robert Downey Jr. wants to re-pay some of the debt for the support he received during his hard times.

A key to RDJ's recovery was his support group, namely his wife Susan Downey, and his friends in Hollywood. Two of those friends, Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster, were present in 2011 when Robert Downey Jr. received the prestigious American Cinematheque Award, an honor presented annually to "an extraordinary artist currently making a significant contribution to the art of the Moving Picture." Now, RDJ wants to return the favor and have Gibson and Foster join the Marvel Cinematic Universe with appearances in The Avengers: Age of Ultron or its untitled followup, the last two films on his extended contract.

I love fantasies too. But I actually like reality associated with these actor stories too.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, kimik said:

True, but the difference is RDJ can act.  He won an Oscar and a Golden Globe (and was nominated for a bunch of other stuff) before Marvel took a chance and put him in Iron Man.  What has Amber Heard done that at this point would make a studio want to take a chance on her knowing that she is going to alienate at least 50% of the movie audience?

On 5/27/2022 at 8:50 AM, media_junkie said:

True, but the difference is RDJ can act.  He won an Oscar and a Golden Globe (and was nominated for a bunch of other stuff) before Marvel took a chance and put him in Iron Man.  What has Amber Heard done that at this point would make a studio want to take a chance on her knowing that she is going to alienate at least 50% of the movie audience?

She's portraying a woman. Though doing it to the best of her abilities which surely lacking.

(:

On 5/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

That's actually not true. Mel Gibson and Jody Foster worked with RDJ to rebuild his credibility leading to performances that gave Marvel Studios comfort later on. Which is why when Mel Gibson was on the outs, RDJ was campaigning to have Kevin Feige to cast him in the MCU.

Robert Downey Jr. Wants Mel Gibson in The Marvel Cinematic Universe

I love fantasies too. But I actually like reality associated with these actor stories too.

As countless Favreau interviews and articles from 2008 onwards have stated, RDJ was considered a risk by Marvel execs and even the Board due his public drug issues. Favreau had to pushback multiple times to hire him, and that was after he switched from another actor (can't remember) to RDJ as the lead. The gamble paid off, which is great for us as it led to the MCU. 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, kimik said:

As countless Favreau interviews and articles from 2008 onwards have stated, RDJ was considered a risk by Marvel execs and even the Board due his public drug issues. Favreau had to pushback multiple times to hire him, and that was after he switched from another actor (can't remember) to RDJ as the lead. The gamble paid off, which is great for us as it led to the MCU. 

Uh-huh. And then Favreau was able to use his more recent roles and successes to calm their concerns.

But that's just facts. Let's go back to the myths like all these characters were C-list and D-list too. :baiting: