• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

Jason Momoa claims they have a story ready for the next James Wan-directed flick, and the presumption was that WB was waiting four years due to James Cameron’s Avatar sequels. But now Avatar 2 will open in December of 2021 while Avatar 3 will open in December of 2023. Disney will be alternating Star Wars movies and Avatar chapters from 2021 to 2027, presuming humanity survives that long. Conventional wisdom suggests that Aquaman 2 would get the hell out of dodge and either try like hell to be ready for December of 2020 or just move somewhere else on the calendar (perhaps June 25, 2021, if Matt Reeves’ The Batman requires a delay) and sacrifice those sweet, sweet Christmas-to-New-Years-legs.  But what if WB calls Disney’s bluff and stays put?

This isn’t quite a redo of that time when Warner Bros. moved Batman v Superman from July 17, 2015 to May 6, 2016 only to see Disney announce that their untitled MCU summer kick-off flick was Captain America 3 (which in turn turned out to be Captain America: Civil War). Despite hemming and hawing, WB moved Dawn of Justice to late March of 2016 where it scored a massive $166 million domestic and $424 million global debut. It crashed soon after, ending with $330 million domestic and $873 million worldwide, but the date change certainly didn’t hurt the opening weekend. A month later, Captain America: Civil War opened with a $179 million domestic debut and earned $408 million domestic (still the most frontloaded MCU movie) and $1.155 billion worldwide.

There are a couple of points that may yet put Aquaman 2 at an advantage over the next Star Wars movie. First, Aquaman 2 will feature the cast and crew behind the well-liked Aquaman with an implicit promise to deliver more larger-than-life undersea action fantasy. Conversely, whether courtesy of Rian Johnson or the Game of Thrones dudes (David Weiss and D.B. Benioff), the next Star Wars will be far more of a “new” thing, existing within the Star Wars brand yet not intertwined with the Skywalker/Solo saga that made up the nine Star Wars episodes as well as Rogue One and Solo. Absent the explicit connection to A New Hope, we don’t know if a new Star Wars saga will play closer to Alita: Battle Angel than Rogue One.

The other reason Aquaman may want to stay put is a comparison of how each film makes their money. Simply put, Star Wars movies make around 45-55% of their money in North America, while Aquaman earned just 30% of its $1.147 billion global cume in North America. Yes, it over-indexed in China ($298 million), but there’s little reason to think that the next one won’t at least do “very, very well” in the biggest international marketplace and the one market more-or-less allergic to Star Wars. Force Awakens earned $123 million in China from a $33 million opening day, while Last Jedi earned $42.5 million two years later. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect Star Wars to earn more in North America while Aquaman 2 earns vastly more overseas.

Aquaman earned $812 million outside of North America last year, making it the biggest solo superhero flick ever in the unadjusted foreign box office. That’s also more than Rogue One ($524 million) and The Last Jedi ($712 million). Disney’s Star Wars movies have arguably overperformed in North America while playing closer to “normal-good” everywhere else.

Since Disney dated the new Star Wars on December 16 two months after WB slated James Wan’s Aquaman sequel, the goal is either to provoke DC Films to change dates or hope they can both coexist. 

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

There are a couple of points that may yet put Aquaman 2 at an advantage over the next Star Wars movie.

There's a sentence I'd never imagined reading.

2 franchises in disarray, though.

Star Wars losing attention because of the addition of Rian Johnson.

Worlds of DC losing attention because of the loss of Zack Snyder.

2017. Bit of a tough year.

Even without a Snyder Cut, if they'd just announce some semblance of continuity by keeping Cavill and Miller (by developing Flash), DC could keep its wits.

They have a great Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, and Shazam. Get Batman and Green Lantern going and there's your foundation. I guess you'd be replacing Martian Manhunter and Cyborg with Shazam. That's a win IMO.

With the MCU's magnum opus concluded, Worlds of DC has a huge opportunity to make their move. Build towards the Darkseid War or something.

Your love for the darkness of all Snyder films clouds your vision. Use the force and you will see that Aquaman and other DCU films will thrive without it.

Image result for yoda images

On 5/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

2 franchises in disarray, though.

Star Wars losing attention because of the addition of Rian Johnson.

Worlds of DC losing attention because of the loss of Zack Snyder.

2017. Bit of a tough year.

Even without a Snyder Cut, if they'd just announce some semblance of continuity by keeping Cavill and Miller (by developing Flash), DC could keep its wits.

They have a great Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, and Shazam. Get Batman and Green Lantern going and there's your foundation. I guess you'd be replacing Martian Manhunter and Cyborg with Shazam. That's a win IMO.

With the MCU's magnum opus concluded, Worlds of DC has a huge opportunity to make their move. Build towards the Darkseid War or something.

Starwars also sucks because the Game of Thrones duo are going to headline another series... Screw them.  

14 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Starwars also sucks because the Game of Thrones duo are going to headline another series... Screw them.  

If The Rise of Skywalker is great, then I'll give the next movie a chance. If not, then I'll just stick to the historically good movies.

Just now, Wolverinex said:

After the first two duds, plus game of thrones season 8, i'm out of that franchise .

love The Force Awakens - so we just differ on opinion there.

I know, I know, it's like 50% A New Hope remake. I don't care. I :censored:ing love it.