• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

Batfleck is back. Ben Affleck will don the cowl once again in Warner Bros. Discovery’s upcoming DC Comics 2023 movie slate in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom and The Flash. News of the star’s return — confirmed on social media by Jason Momoa — sent fans into a frenzy this weekend, with speculation running wild about the implications.

While many outlets and fans are suggesting the latest word of Affleck appearing in yet another entry in the DCEU means the new leadership at WBD are “restoring” the previous incarnations and plans for their shared superhero universe, or that Affleck has had a change of heart and wants to come back permanently as Batman, the truth is almost certainly far simpler, if unlikely to stifle typical rumor-mongering in fandom.

Production delays and the ongoing Covid pandemic forced WBD to push back the original release dates for The Flash and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. Previously, The Flash was supposed to hit theaters first, upending the status quo of the DCEU by — among other things — removing Affleck’s Batman from continuity and replacing him with none other than Michael Keaton’s 1989 Batman.

However, the unexpected rescheduling means Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom will now arrive at multiplexes ahead of The Flash instead of after. As a result, the planned appearance of Keaton’s Capes Crusader in the Aquaman sequel has been rewritten to feature Ben Affleck under the cowl.

So it’s a matter of necessity, and Affleck was willing to step up and step in to help out. And as an added bonus, of course, the film will enjoy a larger measure of fan support by winning a sizable segment of corner of fandom who have long demanded a return to director Zack Snyder’s DC adaptions and plans. Those fans will not only be eager to see Batfleck on screen again, they will also take this as a sign that — despite all other evidence to the contrary — there’s still hope for some sort of final “victory” in pursuit of more Snyderverse.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:40 PM, media_junkie said:

So why would they need to push it back yet again, and this time a full year back?  Could they be replacing Heard as Mera?

She's going to push out a diamond on the bed this time. The mother lode!

:popcorn:

On 8/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, media_junkie said:

I really wish Whedon hadn't sucked the life/joy out of Affleck, I think he makes a really good Wayne/Batman.

Joss Whedon is a creative genius

:shiftyeyes:

But seriously. Having leaked those -script details, a Bruce Wayne/Batman Bond-like film as Deathstroke tries to hunt him down for revenge would have been so cool.

If one of the stated reasons for Affleck's replacing Keaton in Aquaman 2 is because, continuity-wise, Keaton's Batman first appears in The Flash...

This means the earliest they're planning to release The Flash is now 2024.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:22 PM, Bosco685 said:

But seriously. Having leaked those --script details, a Bruce Wayne/Batman Bond-like film as Deathstroke tries to hunt him down for revenge would have been so cool.

Was that what the Affleck Batman movie was going to be about?  I hadn't heard that, but yes that sounds like it would have been really neat.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:30 PM, media_junkie said:

Was that what the Affleck Batman movie was going to be about?  I hadn't heard that, but yes that sounds like it would have been really neat.

Despite going in his own direction, Reeves recently told Jeff Goldsmith on his podcast that Affleck's version "could have been a very exciting movie." 

"The movie was originally going to be directed by Ben Affleck, and the -script they sent me had been written by Ben but rewritten by another very talented writer, and when I read it, I was like, 'Oh, I get it,'" Reeves explained. "It was a standalone Batman film that was centered on Ben's version of the character, but it was more action-driven than what I felt I could do. I didn't connect to the movie-in terms of me as a filmmaker. It was very James Bond-ian; it was filled with a lot of set pieces. It could have been a very exciting movie for someone else to do, but it wasn't for me to do."

Reeves added, "Interestingly, I think Ben wasn't so sure he wanted to it because he ultimately stepped away from doing Batman all together ... Probably because of the choices in his life at that time and what he wanted to do."

"I said look, I think maybe I'm not the person for this," Reeves previously said of an Affleck-starring Batman. "And I explained to them why I love this character. I told them that there have been so many great movies, but if I were to do this, I'd have to make it personal, so that I understood what I was going to do with it, so that I know where to put the camera, so that I know what to tell the actors, so that I know what the story should be."

WATCH THE 3RD ANNUAL GRIFTIES AWARDS

The 2022 Grifties, the premiere award show recognizing the world's best grifters and their accomplishments.

01_The_Grifties2023.JPG.71c70762f705ef0c99614497b761f923.JPG

Will this be included in the Aquaman 2 marketing?

:shiftyeyes:

On 2/4/2023 at 5:32 PM, TupennyConan said:

If Disney bought DC: Aquaman.

Be real. They would make him part of an Eskimo tribe that had a polar bear god that empowered him to make the Earth a greener, friendly place. Oh, and a mascot for mass merchandising.

Oog Oog the Seal, that has a constant craving for Coral Reef Orange & Cream. Double-marketing bang for the buck!

Oog_Ooog01.thumb.jpg.59344583e78f950e7dc15a985eeae9ee.jpg

Oog_Ooog02.jpg.03939bd8337b753221b68d5612ff5899.jpg

Edited by Bosco685