• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane sig, no cert

10 posts in this topic

@Chris Crowley

Whether you have a Certificate of Authenticity or not, the book is not eligible for Signature Series as the chain of custody has been broken.  For Signature Series, an Authorized Witness must be present when the owner obtains the signed book and then the Authorized Witness must get it back to CGC to have it certified.  

The book is very common as it's one of the most heavily printed comics in existence.  The Signature is pretty cool.  If you submit it for grading, you can either get a Universal (Blue) label and they will treat it as a defect and the book will likely be graded as a 7.5-8.0, or you can submit it for a Qualified (Green) label, where the signature will be noted as "Signature on front cover in pen" and the book will be graded as if the Signature weren't there (9.8 if the book is nearly perfect).  Both of these scenarios assume the book is in 9.8 condition to begin with.  If you see any wear, spine ticks, or blunted corners, the grades will only fall from there.

Unless you love the look of CGC slabs and want it for uniformity's sake, I'd pass on the grading.  For the same price, I'd get a pack of Mylars and Fullback boards and place it in there.  Mylars make books look very nice.  If you're planning on grading for selling purposes, in this specific case, I'd be willing to wager money that it would be a losing proposition for you.

Welcome to the Boards!

Turtle's information is great, but there may be a little more to this book. "The Spider's Web", a comic store in Puyallup, WA, had McFarlane sign a number (1,000? 5,000?) of each edition.

They can be told by the small Spider's Web stamp on the back cover, AND...Todd only signed on Spidey's right knee, and never signed there again.

3563711.jpg

spider-man-torment-silver-1990-signed_1_

If you have one of these, and it's 9.4 or better, it's worth slabbing. It will still be qualified, but collectors like this particular signed book.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, Chris Crowley said:

Hi guys. I’ve got a Spider-man #1 signed by Todd McFarlane. If I recall, I bought it from a store in the weeks after the book was released. However, there’s no certificate of authenticity. Is it worth submitting for grading?

Short answer? 

No. 

46 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Turtle's information is great, but there may be a little more to this book. "The Spider's Web", a comic store in Puyallup, WA, had McFarlane sign a number (1,000? 5,000?) of each edition.

They can be told by the small Spider's Web stamp on the back cover, AND...Todd only signed on Spidey's right knee, and never signed there again.

If you have one of these, and it's 9.4 or better, it's worth slabbing. It will still be qualified, but collectors like this particular signed book.

I used to have one of them many years ago but my copy had 'Shore Video Comics' stamped on the letter:

smgreenb.thumb.jpg.ab3c8aa6f9c65c61f8e595be2e694cdf.jpg

Was it legit do you think? It had the red stamp on the back (I neglected to scan it before selling it)

smgreen.thumb.jpg.fd2468bf43f969d0315e89b73245f0a0.jpg

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I used to have one of them many years ago but my copy had 'Shore Video Comics' stamped on the letter:

smgreenb.thumb.jpg.ab3c8aa6f9c65c61f8e595be2e694cdf.jpg

Was it legit do you think? It had the red stamp on the back (I neglected to scan it before selling it)

smgreen.thumb.jpg.fd2468bf43f969d0315e89b73245f0a0.jpg

I never new where they came from. I think mine came via Friendly Frank. I bought one of each.

IMG_2084.jpg

7 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I never new where they came from. I think mine came via Friendly Frank. I bought one of each.

IMG_2084.jpg

Those signatures look a bit rushed do you think? 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Those signatures look a bit rushed do you think? 

I guess it depends how many he had to do. They have the red stamp on back. I bought them when they came out. I think I had to pay $5 or $10 dollars for them. My LCS was also mu buddy I remember when he ordered them just not sure from where. He purchased his books through Friendly Frank's before they went under.