• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Canvassing" in Grader Notes; Not in Glossary
2 2

75 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, joeypost said:

Check this beauty out. Wrinkling over canvassing. 

badpress.jpg

That’s just....wow 😳

I was thinking something way less obvious since part of the inspection is done with a jeweler’s loupe where it might not have been so visible to the naked eye but that’s rather extreme. I can see that happening if the book is moist from trying to introduce some hydration and then pressing under a textured surface but in any case, that’s a horrible result. I wonder if they thought, “holy spoon, I’d better leave this alone” or “meh, good enough” 

5 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

That’s just....wow 😳

I was thinking something way less obvious since part of the inspection is done with a jeweler’s loupe where it might not have been so visible to the naked eye but that’s rather extreme. I can see that happening if the book is moist from trying to introduce some hydration and then pressing under a textured surface but in any case, that’s a horrible result. I wonder if they thought, “holy spoon, I’d better leave this alone” or “meh, good enough” 

This was a book from a well known dealer who started pressing his own books. 

I address this pebbling pressing issue in my Overstreet Price Guide Market Report. It’s a growing issue of amateurs damaging books in an attempt to make them better. Pretty frighting from my point of view as  I see it a lot!

On 10/27/2020 at 11:53 PM, Timely said:

I address this pebbling pressing issue in my Overstreet Price Guide Market Report. It’s a growing issue of amateurs damaging books in an attempt to make them better. Pretty frighting from my point of view as  I see it a lot!

Another reason you should leave it to the professionals or practice much, much more before submitting books. 

As one of my ex-customers once said to me “would rather have a 9.6 today than a 9.8 tomorrow”. What a maroon. 

On 3/11/2022 at 2:51 PM, joeypost said:

Another reason you should leave it to the professionals or practice much, much more before submitting books. 

As one of my ex-customers once said to me “would rather have a 9.6 today than a 9.8 tomorrow”. What a maroon. 

There's a comic store owner here in the New England area that presses books, he does it for customers, few months ago my brother sent him a text that his customer was super pissed at him cause his expensive books came back with grader notes of Pebbling. Store owner couldn't figure out what happened.  (shrug)   I just shook my head.  

On 10/20/2020 at 8:14 AM, Calm-Mix said:

Any thoughts on parchment vs silicone paper? I just got a bunch back with the canvassing notes. I didn't even know this was a thing. All paper has a texture.

I use parchment.  I've used silicone release paper too for many years, but it's far more expensive and the sheets warp over time or get ink or little bits of whatever melted into them over time and they eventually become unusable.

For what it cost for a few sheets of SRP, I bought a box of 220 sheets of pre-cut parchment paper that lay flat.  When they warp, I just toss them and grab new ones. These are thinner than the SRP I used, so I just use two sheets of parchment in place of each sheet of SRP.   

On 3/25/2022 at 11:45 AM, FFB said:

I use parchment.  I've used silicone release paper too for many years, but it's far more expensive and the sheets warp over time or get ink or little bits of whatever melted into them over time and they eventually become unusable.

For what it cost for a few sheets of SRP, I bought a box of 220 sheets of pre-cut parchment paper that lay flat.  When they warp, I just toss them and grab new ones. These are thinner than the SRP I used, so I just use two sheets of parchment in place of each sheet of SRP.   

So you'd rather save a few bucks than do it the right way?  

On 3/25/2022 at 10:49 AM, Kevin76 said:

So you'd rather save a few bucks than do it the right way?  

That's a pretty ignorant comment.  There is nothing "wrong" about the way I do it.  I've been pressing my own comics for over 15 years, ever since one of the "professional" "museum trained conservators" who frequented these boards and offered pressing services split the spine on one of my books and warped the cover on another. (I fixed the latter book myself and it was the first ASM #86 to receive a CGC 9.8 grade.)

My results are as good as anyone else's that I've seen, including the professionals, several of whom have been asking me for advice for years.  

Silicone Release paper has no texture.  Parchment paper does.  That's because SRP is for pressing photographs and Parchment paper is for pressing T-Shirts or baking cookies. T-Shirts already have texture and no one cares what the bottom of a cookie looks like.

This gets back to the right kind of press.  The photo stores selling dry mount presses (D&K, formerly Seal) are not selling parchment paper to use with the presses. They are selling SRP.  

There is far too much effort put into trying to make the wrong - but less expensive - things work just as well as the right - but more expensive things.   If you went to the dentist and he started to drill out your cavity with a Bauer cordless drill and a set of bits from Harbor Freight, what would you think? 
"Ahh, a hole is hole. It makes a hole. No reason to buy those overpriced dental drills and bits. This works fine. Just need to practice and tweak it...." 

You would find another dentist is what you would do. 

The photo stores that sell the right kind of press also sell nearly everything else you need.  If learning, go through the list of what is for sale as press accessories and learn. The presses themselves you can watch for used on eBay or local.  There are lots of amateur photographers over the years that decided it was too much trouble and they will just pay someone to mount and frame their photos.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:46 PM, Tony S said:

Silicone Release paper has no texture.  Parchment paper does.  That's because SRP is for pressing photographs and Parchment paper is for pressing T-Shirts or baking cookies. T-Shirts already have texture and no one cares what the bottom of a cookie looks like.

This gets back to the right kind of press.  The photo stores selling dry mount presses (D&K, formerly Seal) are not selling parchment paper to use with the presses. They are selling SRP.  

There is far too much effort put into trying to make the wrong - but less expensive - things work just as well as the right - but more expensive things.   If you went to the dentist and he started to drill out your cavity with a Bauer cordless drill and a set of bits from Harbor Freight, what would you think? 
"Ahh, a hole is hole. It makes a hole. No reason to buy those overpriced dental drills and bits. This works fine. Just need to practice and tweak it...." 

You would find another dentist is what you would do. 

The photo stores that sell the right kind of press also sell nearly everything else you need.  If learning, go through the list of what is for sale as press accessories and learn. The presses themselves you can watch for used on eBay or local.  There are lots of amateur photographers over the years that decided it was too much trouble and they will just pay someone to mount and frame their photos.

The parchment paper I use has the same amount of "texture" as the SRP that I have, which is to say virtually none.  I've pressed hundreds, if not thousands, of books over the years.  The parchment I use works just as well as the SRP does, and neither of them leaves behind any telltale texture or pebbling.  I like parchment because its thinness allows me to do things you can't do as easily with the SRP.  

This isn't about trying to use the wrong item because I can't afford the right item. I have both.  I just prefer the parchment I use because I get better results with it, especially at the spine. 

Edited by FFB

On 1/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, Karl Liebl said:

Just saying!  Since nobody knows what canvassing is yet we could all be subject to this newly found defect!!

The same thing with my books that recently were graded. The majority of them say Canvassing in the grader notes. I do my own pressing and the weird thing is that "all" my books were pressed the exact same way but a few of them say Canvassing in the grader notes which lowered the grade score. So I'm Lost ... ugg 

On 5/16/2023 at 1:34 PM, LOBO101 said:

The same thing with my books that recently were graded. The majority of them say Canvassing in the grader notes. I do my own pressing and the weird thing is that "all" my books were pressed the exact same way but a few of them say Canvassing in the grader notes which lowered the grade score. So I'm Lost ... ugg 

I'm confused as you say the majority of them have canvassing in the grader notes and then you say a few of them have canvassing in the grader notes.  

Are you using Teflon sheets?  How are you pressing your books.  

On 5/16/2023 at 2:34 PM, LOBO101 said:

Certain paper and cover gloss can be softer or firmer, a firmer gloss may reflect the imperfections you’re pressing into the cover. Also your heat and humidity can soften a cover leaving impressions like canvassing. 

On 5/16/2023 at 3:34 PM, LOBO101 said:

Did you notice anything when you examined them?