• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's ARMY OF THE DEAD directed by Zack Snyder (TBD)
1 1

199 posts in this topic

‘Army of the Dead’: Zack Snyder Explains Why He Left Warner Bros. for Netflix

Zack Snyder has called Warner Bros. his studio home for 15 years, but 2021 will mark a break in the collaboration as the director’s zombie epic “Army of the Dead” arrives on Netflix. Why the move to streaming? Budget issues, of course. “Army of the Dead” sat in development hell at Warner Bros. for over 10 years before Netflix swooped in to purchase the distribution rights and get the film into production.

“They didn’t want to spend that kind of money on a zombie movie,” Snyder recently told Entertainment Weekly, “or just didn’t take it that seriously. I was always like, ‘Look guys, this is more than [just a zombie movie],’ but it fizzled out.”

After making his feature directorial debut with Universal’s 2004 “Dawn of the Dead” remake, Snyder jumped to Warner Bros. in 2006 with “300” and stayed there for follow-up projects “Watchmen,” “Legend of the Guardians,” “Sucker Punch,” “Man of Steel,” “Batman v Superman,” and “Justice League.” Despite his long history with Warner Bros., Snyder’s involvement alone couldn’t get “Army of the Dead” in development at the studio. Then along came Netflix.

“We were in a meeting at Netflix and I was talking about some of these scripts I was working on,” Snyder told EW. “And I mentioned the idea to [Netflix head of original films Scott Stuber] and he was like, ‘That is the movie! Go write that movie and let’s make it.’ I was like, ‘What, do you mean now?’ And he’s like, ‘Go write it tomorrow and we’ll do shoot it in a week.'”

Netflix loved Snyder’s idea so much that it is expanding “Army of the Dead” into a full blown franchise. The streamer has ordered a four-hour animated prequel series for the film that dives into the origin of the plague that created the zombie epidemic. Snyder cracked the idea for the animated prequel series.

There is a 3rd version of Dawn of the Dead also.

The zombie(?)/dazed woman nudity at the beginning was covered up with blood on the windshield.

Some of the Euro DVD/blu ray's have it completely uncut.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1988

The recent Scream Factory release has it uncut as well.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/dawn-of-the-dead-collector-s-edition?product_id=6374

Edited by Rip

6 hours ago, Rip said:

There is a 3rd version of Dawn of the Dead also.

The zombie(?)/dazed woman nudity at the beginning was covered up with blood on the windshield.

Some of the Euro DVD/blu ray's have it completely uncut.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1988

The recent Scream Factory release has it uncut as well.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/dawn-of-the-dead-collector-s-edition?product_id=6374

Part of the reason why the Home Theater Market disc sales won't go away completely.

Not only do you have cuts not available digitally. You also have language versions like The Raid where you can't buy the English version online as it is only Indonesian with English subtitles.

Edited by Bosco685

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Part of the reason why the Home Theater Market disc sales won't go away completely.

Not only do you have cuts not available digitally. You also have language versions like The Raid where you can't buy the English version online as it is only Indonesian with English subtitles.

Agreed, however I will take the subtitles almost every time. It’s not often you get an English dub from someone who can actually act. As much as I like busting Disney’s marbles, did you know they excel at the additional audio tracks on many of their animated releases? When they add a Spanish dub, they will usually hire a known actor with talent and one recognizable to the region.  Not all languages or every movie but I have noticed the effort they put in for those who do not speak English. Bravo Disney! But they are still a soulless corporate machine with a rat for a mascot. F them.

9 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Agreed, however I will take the subtitles almost every time. It’s not often you get an English dub from someone who can actually act. As much as I like busting Disney’s marbles, did you know they excel at the additional audio tracks on many of their animated releases? When they add a Spanish dub, they will usually hire a known actor with talent and one recognizable to the region.  Not all languages or every movie but I have noticed the effort they put in for those who do not speak English. Bravo Disney! But they are still a soulless corporate machine with a rat for a mascot. F them.

Go check out both the Mandarin and English Language versions of Kung Fu Hustle. Tell me which one has much stronger comedy lines when you are done.

The director went all-out in upgrading the comedy when he created the English Language version.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Go check out both the Mandarin and English Language versions of Kung Fu Hustle. Tell me which one has much stronger comedy lines when you are done.

The director went all-out in upgrading the comedy when he created the English Language version.

Oh, Kung Fu Hustle is definitely the exception!  Awesome English track.

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

Oh, Kung Fu Hustle is definitely the exception!  Awesome English track.

That movie is so incredibly funny. And when I watched the online version which only comes in Mandarin the lines were not as funny. Then I popped in the bluray and realized it was a 1-to-1 language conversion.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Totally. I still regularly buy discs. Way too much great stuff.

The original Dawn of the Dead 1978 is another great example. Just watched this recently.

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dawn-of-the-dead-4k-ultra-hd/12796995.html