• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's BRIGHT 2
1 1

20 posts in this topic

‘Bright 2’ Still in the Works Says David Ayer [TCA 2020]

‘Bright 2’ could happen soon

2017’s Bright was one of Netflix’s first major plays at original movies. The $90 million Will Smith visual effects film was also criticized for exhibiting Netflix’s underdeveloped narratives on a grand scale. However, Netflix announced a sequel before Bright even premiered and Ayer says that is still in the works.

“Still in development,” Ayer said. “We’re working on it so hopefully we’ll be able to mount that up soon.”

Smith played a human cop partnered with an orc (Joel Edgerton) in a modern day Los Angeles filled with fantastical creatures. Ayer indicated the sequel would take advantage of the world-building established but not fully explored in the first film.

“It’s a great opportunity for all of us to explore the world more,” Ayer said. “I think people felt like there was a lot of doorways to explore. People were like, ‘Tell us about the dragon. Tell us about this, the history.’ So it’s a very rich world and I think we’re going to drill down some more.”

If Ayer is hearing from Bright fans, that backs up reports that millions of people did watch Bright and they weren’t all critical.

We have learned that T.S. Nowlin will co-write the screenplay for Netflix and David Ayer’s ‘Bright 2’ alongside current screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos. Spoliotopoulos has just entered production on his directorial debut, ‘Shrine’ starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Nowlin is known for writing the screenplay for each of the three films in the ‘Maze Runner’ trilogy including executive producing the final two films in the trilogy. He is also credited as a writer on the ‘Pacific Rim’ sequel ‘Pacific Rim Uprising’ and was writing the screenplay for Wes Ball’s ‘Mouse Guard’ film before it was cancelled by Disney/20th Century Studios.

The film is currently looking to begin filming in Summer 2020 however it is also dependent on David Ayer’s schedule. Ayer is currently a highly sought and busy director with his upcoming projects including ‘The Dirty Dozen’ remake for Warner Bros that is very much in active development. Nevertheless, the film is still targeting to begin filming in Summer 2020, the first film was a huge hit for Netflix at the time of its release so its no surprise that a sequel has always been in the cards.

Bryan Unkeless and Eric Newman will produce the film through their Screen Arcade production company, yesterday we just reported another project that they are developing through their production company for Netflix, ‘Bad Dad’, an adaption of David Walliams’ popular novel.

Will Smith and Joel Edgerton will reprise their respective roles for the sequel.

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix is negotiating with Louis Leterrier to direct Bright 2, the sequel to the 2017 film that kicked off the streamer’s feature film franchise launch aspirations.

David Ayer directed the first film and was attached to the sequel, but he has been focused on rewriting to direct Dirty Dozen for Warner Bros, and he has other projects at Netflix.

The film will reteam Will Smith and Joel Edgerton in the tale of mismatched crime fighting partners, one of whom is an orc. The -script is by Ayer and Evan Spiliotopoulos with a rewrite by T.S. Nowlin. The pic is produced by Ayer, Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless.

Netflix set sights on a sequel in early 2018 after the original was released and watched by a record estimated 60 million, with far and away the most views for a Netflix film in its first week. Those numbers have been eclipsed by a number of followup big budget films, all topped by Extraction, the latest action film that Deadline revealed is getting a sequel after Netflix projected that the film will be viewed by 90 million households in its first four weeks of release.

Sources said that the Bright sequel picks up the travails of the odd partnership, but sets it on an international stage. Bought by Netflix after a ferocious spec package auction, the film got so-so reviews, but it was important in that it got the streamer in business with Smith, and now big movie stars routinely top line Netflix film and TV series.

In Leterrier, Netflix is bringing in a director who helmed Now You See Me, Clash of the Titans, The Transporter films, Unleashed and The Brothers Grimm, and for Netflix he has directed episodes of the series The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.

Studios may almost exclusively be in the sequel business, but Netflix also has backed a stream of spinoffs and follow-ups. The company will shoot sequels to “Extraction” and “The Old Guard,” and is about to release the third film in its “Kissing Booth” trilogy. It is close to having a final -script for “Bright 2,” which will bring back original stars Will Smith and Joel Edgerton, and has grand plans to build out Zack Snyder’s “Army of the Dead” universe with more installments and an anime series.

I didn't hate hate Bright. The setting itself was tolerably interesting even if it's sort of an Awakening-era Shadowrun expy. Joel Edgerton was actually fairly good.

We're getting new scriptwriters for the sequel, which is probably a good thing. On the other hand, it looks like the rumor that Ayer was being dropped as director in favor of Louis Leterrier (whose Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance was fantastic even if Netflix decided to cancel it immediately) isn't going to pan out, which I find a bit disappointing. I really think Bright's core material could be better with different hands guiding it.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, Qalyar said:

I didn't hate hate Bright. The setting itself was tolerably interesting even if it's sort of an Awakening-era Shadowrun expy. Joel Edgerton was actually fairly good.

We're getting new scriptwriters for the sequel, which is probably a good thing. On the other hand, it looks like the rumor that Ayer was being dropped as director in favor of Louis Leterrier (whose Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance was fantastic even if Netflix decided to cancel it immediately) isn't going to pan out, which I find a bit disappointing. I really think Bright's core material could be better with different hands guiding it.

Max Landis being run off as screenwriter going forward due to assault charges definitely drove a different shift forward. Though sad it took an event like that to change up the direction.

David Ayer should be fine as director. Evan Spiliotopoulos was the screenwriter on Beauty and the Beast live, along with Dwayne Johnson's Hercules. But he also worked on the recent Snake Eyes and Charlie's Angels ( :whatthe: ).

Time will tell for sure.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

Max Landis being run off as screenwriter going forward due to assault charges definitely drove a different shift forward. Though sad it took an event like that to change up the direction.

Bleh. I'd somehow managed to miss reading about the Landis allegations. Yikes. Well. That's another good reason to be happy he's gone.

On 7/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, D84 said:

I didn't know about the allegations either, but just read a two year old article in Variety.

What an :censored:hole!

So many of these Hollywood wanna-be couch audition practitioners slowly disappeared. But not always clear if they got what they deserved.

:(

On 7/28/2021 at 4:55 PM, Bosco685 said:

So many of these Hollywood wanna-be couch audition practitioners slowly disappeared. But not always clear if they got what they deserved.

:(

Most of them are still there. They threw out a couple sacrificial lambs.

To be fair, it's not just the men doing this in Hollywood. 

On 7/28/2021 at 5:57 PM, D84 said:

Most of them are still there. They threw out a couple sacrificial lambs.

To be fair, it's not just the men doing this in Hollywood. 

Oh yeah. It was interesting when one of the actresses accusing people turned out to have done it herself to a young actor.

In a recent tweet from Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw, the reporter has revealed that Netflix has "abandoned" its plans for Bright 2. The news came while Shaw was sharing an article about Smith's National Geographic production being delayed after the now-infamous "Oscars slap" incident with Chris Rock. While Shaw has shared the news about Bright 2 as a footnote to this story, the reporter noted that Bright 2's cancellation is not related to Smith's Oscars slap. 

I actually wanted to see what the could do with a sequel. Bummer.

On 4/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

I actually wanted to see what the could do with a sequel. Bummer.

Bright was something I was interested in but struggled to get half way through. Still haven’t finished it but I really want to revisit it. And I’ve forgotten nearly everything that happened. Wasn’t this like the Alien Nation premise?

On 4/24/2022 at 3:06 AM, ▫️ said:

Bright was something I was interested in but struggled to get half way through. Still haven’t finished it but I really want to revisit it. And I’ve forgotten nearly everything that happened. Wasn’t this like the Alien Nation premise?

Exactly. And I really enjoyed Alien Nation the movie and TV show.

Bright's third act for Joel Edgerton's Nick (the orc), it ends on a high note. So you may want to finish it. Though it was clearly based on stories like End of Watch and Alien Nation.

Not great. Not horrible. Something in between.