• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickelodeon's STAR TREK PRODIGY animated series (2021)

12 posts in this topic

Animated ‘Star Trek’ Series Greenlit at Nickelodeon

star-trek-logo.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

An animated “Star Trek” series has officially been given the greenlight by CBS Television Studios and Nickelodeon, Variety has learned.

The new CG-animated series will follow a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation.

As Variety previously reported, the series hails from Kevin and Dan Hageman, the pair behind “Trollhunters” and “Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu,” as well as Eye Animation Productions (CBS’ new animation arm), Secret Hideout, and Roddenberry Entertainment. Ramsey Naito, EVP of animation production and development at Nickelodeon, will oversee the show.

“‘Star Trek,’ Nickelodeon, and the state of animation are doing incredibly ambitious things as of late. We couldn’t be more excited to jump aboard,” said Dan and Kevin Hageman.

Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Katie Krentz, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers on the project alongside the Hagemans. Aaron Baiers will serve as a co-executive producer.

Last year, All Access gave a two-season order to another “Star Trek” animated series, “Star Trek: Lower Decks,”with that show being created by “Rick & Morty” writer Mike McMahan. “Lower Decks” will target more mature audiences and focus on the the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships.

Star Trek is setting a course for animation. Star Trek: Lower Decks, the franchise’s first animated comedy, is set to debut in 2020. But then there’s also an animated series headed to Nickelodeon. The series comes from Dan and Kevin Hageman and, according to an interview that producers Heather Kadin and Alex Kurtzman gave to TrekCore, the series will be computer-animated and isn’t going to be seen for some time. According to Kadin, even hoping to see some footage by 2021 is overly optimistic. “Looooonger,” Kadin said. “I was surprised! As someone who makes big, live-action shows, I heard how long it was going to take and I was like, ‘What?!’ Because it’s 3D animation, so just takes that much longer… But the Hageman brothers [come from] Ninjago and TrollHunters, they’re doing it, so it’s definitely going to be more in that visual look.”

Their experience with computer animation isn’t the only reason that Kadin and Kurtzman sought out the Hageman’s for the new Nick series. There’s also their storytelling skills. “The reason we went to the Hagemans is because if you’ve seen their work, you know that they’re not writing Muppet Babies,” Kadin explained. “It’s not Little Spock and Little Kirk. It’s not playing down [to viewers] that way. Even [with] their characters in Ninjago — they are teenagers — I was able to watch that with my kids and they write with a very epic quality. They tell stories the way we tell stories in live-action: serialized, turning over cards… I think it will be a great way for fans to introduce the franchise to their kids, and for new fans to be formed because it’s such a big franchise, [it can be hard] to get into as a kid.”

I would like to watch the Star Trek stuff but I cannot seem to get behind a broadcast station having exclusive content.   It does not matter if it was NBC, or ABC, I cannot get behind CBS having their own streaming service.   I wish them luck though, because success on the small screen may reignite interest in pursuing big screen adventures to which they can count my rear end in a seat for. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would like to watch the Star Trek stuff but I cannot seem to get behind a broadcast station having exclusive content.   It does not matter if it was NBC, or ABC, I cannot get behind CBS having their own streaming service.   I wish them luck though, because success on the small screen may reignite interest in pursuing big screen adventures to which they can count my rear end in a seat for. 

This is going to be on Nickelodeon. Not CBS. There is another animated show (Lower Decks) which will be on CBS.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

This is going to be on Nickelodeon. Not CBS. There is another animated show (Lower Decks) which will be on CBS.

I was lamenting in general though.  I hear that Discovery is actually pretty good.   Either way, we are less than a month away from the alleged streaming gamechanger debut.   One thing I learned of this weekend was that the Mandalorian will be a weekly release much like a regular TV show.  That was a pleasant surprise to me and something that is a welcome return to the 'old ways' of television.   I am hoping that it is a 'watercooler' type show like LOST or 24 was where you would have a week to figure out and process what you just saw. 

Back in 1987, Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted and next year will see a further expansion of the Gene Roddenberry franchise for a new generation, literally.

Set to premiere in 2021 on Nickelodeon, the kids orientated CG-animated series will be called Star Trek: Prodigy I can reveal. Here, as Comic-Con@Home really kicks into gear, is also a first look at the logo for show:

star-trek-prodigy-logo.jpg?w=590&h=382

First announced back in April 2019, the series from Trollhunters scribes Kevin and Dan Hageman and overseen by Ramsey Naito, Nick’s Animation Production and Development EVP will follow a group of rebellious teens who commandeer an old Starfleet ship and head off into the universe for adventure and more.

The upcoming animated series Star Trek: Prodigy has officially found its showrunner. In recent years, the Star Trek franchise has seen a massive resurgence on television thanks to CBS All Access. The streamer has already put out two live-action shows, Discovery and Picard, and there are others currently in development, like the Captain Pike-centered Strange New Worlds. Additionally, the franchise is again making the leap to animation. The first new Star Trek animated series, Lower Decks, recently premiered on CBS All Access and focuses on the behind the scenes crew members of the USS Ceritos.

Today, Nickelodeon has officially announced that award-winning director and producer Ben Hibon will serve as Prodigy's showrunner. Hibon will direct and co-executive produce the series in addition to serving as its creative lead. In terms of past credits, Hibon was the animation director for the "Tale of Three Brothers" sequence in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. Hibon said in a statement, "Getting the chance to work on an IP like Star Trek has been an incredible opportunity, particularly when partnered with the talented teams at Nickelodeon, CBS and Secret Hideout - who have been pushing the boundaries of what animation and serialized storytelling for younger audiences can deliver."