• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another Hulk 181 thread

181 posts in this topic

But the 1.5 was blue label. Took 3 pro cgc graders to confirm that yes there is a MVS inside. tongue.gif

How come no 1 chose Hulk 181 as their fave cover of all time in that other thread? Trimpe smash non-believers!

hulk181fc.jpg

Here's my educated "guess" as to what Incredible Hulk 181 is worth today, taking into account some of the prices paid to date.

Good: $125.00

Very Good: $275.00

Fine: $425.00

Very Fine: $750.00

VF/NM: $1,100.00

9.2: $1,300.00

9.4: $2,018.00

9.8: $18,000.00 confused.gif

But I have to admit, that last one does freak me out a bit. Is that some kind of a "mutant" price? What do you suppose a 2nd 9.8 would go for?

Now, I do realize a bit of this could be a little late for overstreet to have been effected, but does anybody want to predict what the new values will be in 2003's book?

Has anyone else noticed the CGC 9.0-9.6 prices have stayed pretty consistent, and the lower-grade copies have more than doubled in price over the last 6 months or so?

CGC 5.0-6.0 copies used to sell in the $200 range, now they've mushroomed to over $400, while a grand can still get you a nice CGC 9.0-9.2 copy. Something's definitely wrong there, and the same ratio is unheard of with other Bronze Keys.

Must be a lot of crack-heads coming on EBay and wanting a Hulk 181. If I had to choose between $450 for a CGC 5.0 and $1K for a 9.2, it's pretty safe to say where I'd be putting the cash. grin.gif

I just hope they're not looking to invest and sell at a profit, as this situation will correct itself. No way a comic charting $1K in CGC 9.2 will hold at $450 for a 5.0, at least for long.

Yeah, I saw that, and his price was actually on-target with sales of even a few months ago. Strange how the low-grade copies of Hulk 181 have spiked far beyond reality,while the CGC 8.5-9.2 copies have actually declined.

For example, before Scottish went hog-wild and blew off his books, I traded him $200 in books (though I padded it with some variants, since he paid well over that raw) for a Hulk 181 6.0 White, since that's what they were selling for at the time.

Right now, that book might push $500, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, given that you can squeak out a 9.2 for around $1K right now.

I think it comes down to "affordability." The demand for the Hulk #181 is obviously high, but as the price goes up...the market of buyers shrinks real fast especially in the $1000+ range. Some people tend to think about the price tag up front rather than thinking logically about "investments," which explains crazy price for mid-grade copies of this holy grail. tongue.gif

Sure, but $500 ain't penny change either, and when you're equating the conditions vs. $500/$1K, it still doesn't make much sense. Plus, this isn't taking place with X-Men 94, GS X-Men 1, ASM 129, or other Bronze keys, just Hulk 181.

If yer flipping the book, do it now, as these bozos are likely to become extinct real soon. grin.gif

I agree 100% that it dosen't make sense, but people tend not to think that way. All consumers, regardless of what they're buying, set up a psychological "comfort zone" when looking to buy something. This is especially true in this hobby. The bottom line of what they're spending tends to be more important than the quality of what they're buying. If I only had $500 to spend on a Hulk 181, I would wait and save up another $$300-$500 and get a nice VF/NM because in the long run I would have a much nicer copy, and have gotten my money's worth. Unfortuently, most don't have this kind of sound thinking and patience, especially when it comes to purchasing something they want. Personally, I don't mind all these people drying up their resources on inferior copies and leaving the prime stuff to those who know how to use their money.

I understand Andrew, but it just seems to be a very quick shift (double the price for Fine), while the 8-9.2 range has dropped (if you're patient, a 9.0 can be had for $800-$850 and an 8.5 for $600). Even during the original X-Men movie hype, there wasn't this kind of demand, and I'm scratching my head wondering what's going on.

I'lll tell you one thing,: it won't be a long-term trend, so sell those puppies now.

It also seems like a great time to pick up a CGC 9.2 of the book....

Ya know what?

I remember a dealer who advised me to get rid of my Fantastic Four #1 cause it's peaked. That was about 23 years ago. About 20 years ago, I was advised to get rid of all my Silver Age, cause they're not going to be going up any higher. Another guy told me about 10 years ago, my Bronze Age comics will never be worth anything.

So, if I do get rid of my Hulk 181, wondering what it'll cost me to replace it in 10 - 20 years? That's why, no matter what, I'll keep it. Cause if I do, I'll never have to worry about replacing it. smirk.gif

I agree totally, assuming you want the issue no matter what. Comics are a dying art form, and the advice of today should not be confused with that from 1970 in terms of a 20-year appreciation.

That said, if you just picked up a CGC Fine copy for $250, for the express purpose of flipping it, better act fast before the sappers all leave the X2 Building.

Or to put it a bit clearer, you could have sold off your CGC 9.2 copy a year and a half ago (give or take) and have bought it back a few months ago and had some serious change left over. There are no guarantees on any key issue, but selling at an apex (as the initial CGC gold rush was) and buying on the downswing is always a great bet.

I appreciate the response, but a dealer here in Winnipeg sold a VG copy over a year ago for $60.00 because he believed, as you do, that hulk 181would not go up anymore. He really regretted not waiting until the new guide (2002) came out. Also, for me to sell the comic - I would have to get it graded by CGC and then list it on e-bay. A lot of work. On top of that, I would have to worry about buying another copy on e-bay for less. So, even if I sell at the right time, when is the right time to buy one???? It's just too speculative, too much work and I"m just too busy.

People have been telling me for the last 20 - 25 years that comics are dying, they're finished etc. etc. etc. It's old news, but I do respect and appreciate your opinion. grin.gif

Hulk 181 in NM is going to be worth over $20,000.00 in about 20 years. And I'll still have my copy. Just an opinion.

yeeeeeeeeeeeesh, $20K in 20 years for Hulk 181? You are MUCH more optimistic than I am. NM 2002 Overstreet Hulk 181 is $1100. To reach $20K, you're looking at a 16.5% (roughly) average annual rate of return on your money.

I usually disagree with our doom and gloom friends, but a 16.5% return yearly is a bit high, don't you think?