• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another Hulk 181 thread

181 posts in this topic

Hmm... OK what the hell! I'll warn you now though, the book is a TRUE pos laugh.gif

It's a structural vg that is sunbleached crazy.gif However, I only paid $35 for it and I have a slabbed copy so what the hell. I will post a link to my auction later and we can guess the final price.

Dan

Maybe I will include my sunbleached reader Xmen 95 and make it a set laugh.gif

Thanks Kev.

Bronty, I was doing what I thought was a great impersonation of the "typical" American. Implying that pounds weren't "real money", while at the same time being ignorant of the conversion rate. In fact only the second point is true. smile.gif

Its funny, I took it as real. I get so many 'typical Americans' as you call them! I don't sell about 50% of my stuff because 'I didnt realise it wasnt in US dollars!'

If only all buyers were as cool as you guys cool.gif

Does anyone think a Hulk 181 will be a $20,000.00 comic in 2023? (I'll be printing these posts and adding them to my collection. And, will check back in 20 years - so be warned.

I was wondering does anyone have Sons that they try and impress this book onto.I have 5 myself.2 of which at the age of 14 and 11 now think of Hulk 181 as the holy grail and I will keep impressing it into there minds till the end of my time.They see the prices these things go for. As I impress there minds with, that also and lead them to beleive this will forever be the investment that will be solid forever.Maybe Im foolish but hay I have 2 more young ones that will beleive this also.Well in 20 more years they will be out there making there own buck and I promise you they will be seeking this book.Add 2 to 4 to the mix of me Looks like this book will go thru the roof at that point and time in 20 years just an opinion but they BELEIVE.

Davidking623

Just think about what your parents thought of as "valuable" and what their parents valued as collectibles and then extrapolate that into the next generation. Comics were worth virtually nothing back then, while the stamps my grandfather's generation collected (with few exceptions) have fallen through the floor, and the same could be said for many of the coins my father's peers were hoarding.

I knew that certain coins were valuable and respected this fact, but later in life, they really didn't mean anything to me.

If there's one truth to collectibles, it's that hot trends rarely span generations, and what's tossed out by kids today will invariably be valuable tomorrow. The real key is that upcoming hot collectibles will have absolutely nothing to do with monetary value, but will hinge (as they always do) on nostalgic memories of their own golden age.

Trust me, when your kids hit 30, a Hulk 181 will hold no meaning to them whatsoever. Unfortunate, but rest assured they'll be screaming at you for throwing out "something" when they were young. grin.gif

Insightful Thought there.My Father collected coins,but no I didnt have any interest in them.I couldnt read them.Comics on the other hand are being read by my sons and they really like them.They see what I sell these books for and the money that I make on them.They truly enjoy the characters Daredevil Spiderman and Wolverine.They look forward to the movies and are as excited about them as me.With that being said stamps couldnt read them either.Sport Cards they are only hot if the player is hot.Never understood Sportcards just made money at it.Now I am going to give them to my Son and let him sell them on Ebay as they seem not worth much but at least I dont have to know what they sold for and that helps.

Davidking623

Hey, I had coin price guides, collector books and followed them religiously because my Dad did. Using that logic, I should be a big-time coin nut, but as I grew older, my own childhood came to the fore and it consisted of fond memories of comics and sportscards that I enjoyed by myself and with other friends.

In other words, it was my territory, not my parent's, not my grandparent's and not anyone else's. That's nostalgia pure and simple, and it can't be manufacturered, created or otherwise trained.

It just happens, just like it will with your kids.

Joe, Is it fair to compare a coin and a stamp to a comic book? I mean, all you can with a stamp and coin is look at them. With a comic, you have something to read. They have letters written years ago by people long gone, old adds you can look at -some of which are quite laughable. Hunting for a better copy is always fun. Also, the skys the proverbial limit as to what titles interest you.

There is NOTHING out there to let people know there are stamps and coins to be collected. There are, however constant reminders letting people know there are comic books. Front and centre - in your face kinda reminders. I am thinking that maybe, just maybe that could make a difference. When a guy like davidking623 comes along and (besides taking an unpopular stand agreeing with my prediction) grin.gif says he's got kids interested at this comic, they may want one of those when they grow up - at any price. And he's only mentioning his kids. How many more potential kids out there will get interested in comics. Myself, I didn't become a serious collector until I was 25. Even the kids that don't read or read very little have some exposure to comics. Everytime they play a game or see a movie featuring comic book heroes/villains - the exposure is there. You don't think that the kid playing that Spider-man video game is going to be just a little interested in Silver Age Spider-man comics while he's putting together a collection of video games he played as a kid? The reminders are still going to out there 10 or 20 years down the road. And although companies like Marvel and DC are promoting their product, I still feel they could do more.

Just don't think it's a fair comparison. Compare stamps to coins? Sure. Very similar insofaras what you can do with them. Comics, I feel are a whole new ball game. So much more interesting and so much more potential. grin.gif

Thanks for the support david, looks like it's you and me against the world. cool.gif

Hey, I do understand your opinion, and where it's coming from. Every generation likes to hope the hobby they enbrace will also be embraced by the next one. The problem is, it doesn't work like that, no matter how you try and quantify it.

You're saying the exact same thing as my grandfather said to my father, and my father said to me. Don't feel bad as it's the natural reaction, but by the same token, it didn't change how collectibles evolved, as what one generation values and pays big bucks for, is therefore exempt from being a nostalgic collectible for the next.

There was a great thread on here about the exact same thing, where a member was ticked his Dad invested serious cash in Silver Coins, and that his kids will probably ream him out for pouring money into boxes of old comics.

That's it in a nutshell.

And I've got to take exception with what is probably the most bizarre comment I have ever read on here:

"There is NOTHING out there to let people know there are stamps and coins to be collected."

Go to the Post Office, buy some stamps and don't give exact change. Now take your time and look closely at what the teller gives you....

>>Just don't think it's a fair comparison. Compare stamps to coins? Sure. Very similar insofaras what you can do with them. Comics, I feel are a whole new ball game. So much more interesting and so much more potential.

I'm sure if you posted this on the Coin or Sportcard Forum, you'd get a harsh response. Comics aren't "better" or "more interesting" than Coins,Sportscards or Stamps, you only view them in a positive light due to a variety of factors. I'm assuming your Golden Age (8-14) occured before 1985, and due to this, you have fond memories of comics.

Other people feel the same way about coins, stamps or sportscards, and it doesn't make their opinion any more or less valid. The vast majority of North America (like 99.9999%) thinks comics are for kids and that you'd have to be an imbecile to read or collect them.

As for "what you can do with them" most of the general population would probably light their fireplacde with an old comic, spend an old coin or slap an old stamp onto a letter, given the opportunity.

You probably think they're uninformed, but they have a right to their opinions, just as the coinees laugh when someone lays down $5K on a CGC Modern. Or just like we sometimes take a jab at them for some of the habits we deem strange or bizarre.

Different strokes for different folks.