• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Playboy collection- want to sell, need advice
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2019 at 7:49 AM, Jshorrock said:

online and it sold for way under what it was worth.

Looking at Skinner it appears that they auction mostly fine jewelry, household stuff, and fine art so perhaps not the best auction house for pop culture or playboy type items.  A painful lesson but at least you didn't give them the entire collection.

Heritage auctions has sold a number of Playboy magazines 

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=playboy+1&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

you'll need to create a free account to view auction prices, an 8.0 sold for just over $13,000 in 2017.  Be aware that they charge a buyer AND a seller commission and it's substantial.  The commission may be negotiable if you have items that Heritage is very interested in auctioning.  Also be aware that while Heritage is expensive they do do a great job of promoting their auctions and have a lot of bidders.

Other comic auction sites to consider are https://www.comicconnect.com/ , https://www.mycomicshop.com/ , and http://www.comiclink.com/ .  All are worthy auction sites.  I'd suggest you talk to all of them, ask about consignment rates, past history of selling playboy magazines, etc.  One or more of the auction sites may be interested in featuring the collection with a biography of the collector who put this collection together.

Also note that mycomicshop has a consignment model where you can consign items at any price you wish.  If you're not in a hurry and want to set the price and possibly get results higher than current norm it's worth consideration.

Edited by thehumantorch

People don't like to hear this, but there are only 3 Playboy issues that are in demand any more.  #1 of course... which despite being fairly common, still brings big money in grade.  #2 is actually scarcer than #1, and there is some demand for it among completists.  And the Jan. 1955 issue with Bettie Page is still sought after.  You might get okay money for the rest of the 1954 issues.  But that's about it.  Late '50s issues can still be had for $10 - $15 each.  Mid-'60s issues are all but worthless in today's market.  The problem is, all those nifty photos and articles are now available on the internet... legal or otherwise.  We priced all Playboys after about 1963 at $2.50 each in our store.  They just sat there.  Eventually we stacked them in the back room... over 2,000 of them... and offered them to dealers and collectors at 50-cents apiece if they would at least buy them by the box.  No takers.  After 3 years, and the weight of them literally causing the floor to sag, we threw them all in the dumpster... all 2,000 issues.  It took several weeks to get rid of them because they were too heavy to put in the dumpster all at once.  Sell #1 at auction.  Get what you can for the 1954 and Jan. '55 issues.  The rest... don't bother with.

I have a 9.0 redstar edition and I’m going through the same problems.. people telling me the market went soft and lowballing me. Or that HA takes a massive percentage so even if it sold for a lot of money I’d get a small percentage .. I’m not sure what the truth is. 

2 hours ago, Ed Wiley said:

I have a 9.0 redstar edition and I’m going through the same problems.. people telling me the market went soft and lowballing me. Or that HA takes a massive percentage so even if it sold for a lot of money I’d get a small percentage .. I’m not sure what the truth is. 

A 1.8 graded copy sold on ebay for $1676 so while the market may be soft there are still buyers.  Heritage takes 30% so while that is substantial you'd still get 70%.

Looking at sales in GPA the market has softened.  I don't know what the grade is or what you value it at but in general, if the market on something changes negatively and a seller doesn't recognize the change in value he'll have a tough time selling it.  I've also noticed that it's a lot easier to accept the market value of an item increasing than decreasing lol 

21 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

A 1.8 graded copy sold on ebay for $1676 so while the market may be soft there are still buyers.  Heritage takes 30% so while that is substantial you'd still get 70%.

Looking at sales in GPA the market has softened.  I don't know what the grade is or what you value it at but in general, if the market on something changes negatively and a seller doesn't recognize the change in value he'll have a tough time selling it.  I've also noticed that it's a lot easier to accept the market value of an item increasing than decreasing lol 

Thank you. That helps. 

On 2/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, Bookery said:

People don't like to hear this, but there are only 3 Playboy issues that are in demand any more.  #1 of course... which despite being fairly common, still brings big money in grade.  #2 is actually scarcer than #1, and there is some demand for it among completists.  And the Jan. 1955 issue with Bettie Page is still sought after.  You might get okay money for the rest of the 1954 issues.  But that's about it.  Late '50s issues can still be had for $10 - $15 each.  Mid-'60s issues are all but worthless in today's market.  The problem is, all those nifty photos and articles are now available on the internet... legal or otherwise.  We priced all Playboys after about 1963 at $2.50 each in our store.  They just sat there.  Eventually we stacked them in the back room... over 2,000 of them... and offered them to dealers and collectors at 50-cents apiece if they would at least buy them by the box.  No takers.  After 3 years, and the weight of them literally causing the floor to sag, we threw them all in the dumpster... all 2,000 issues.  It took several weeks to get rid of them because they were too heavy to put in the dumpster all at once.  Sell #1 at auction.  Get what you can for the 1954 and Jan. '55 issues.  The rest... don't bother with.

I'll take everything after Jan '55 (if they are in mint condition) through the "Girls of James Bond" smoking gun issue for the right price. :bigsmile: 

So, in a similar situation: My Dad passed away many years ago but Mom just died last year so I have their massive Playboy collection. Except, none from the first year but darn near a complete run after that, minus a couple issues only. I contacted Heritage House and without that first one or an exceptionally HIGH grade, they aren't interested. They suggested some others including MyComicShop.com -- they actually responded with interest:

"Thank you for checking with us regarding your collection. We would be interesting (sic) in making you an offer as long as the magazines are in excellent condition and have all the centerfolds attached. If you can send us a few pictures to confirm this, we can most likely make you an offer. "

...so I am in the process of doing exactly that: going through everyone to report on the condition of each, especially if centerfold is in-tact and shooting some more photos then I already have. I will report back as I progress. 

Here was one pic I sent, just to sort of validate what I had (Second year is in a leather Playboy binder)

IMG_1584.jpg

On 3/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Zuke said:

So, in a similar situation: My Dad passed away many years ago but Mom just died last year so I have their massive Playboy collection. Except, none from the first year but darn near a complete run after that, minus a couple issues only. I contacted Heritage House and without that first one or an exceptionally HIGH grade, they aren't interested. They suggested some others including MyComicShop.com -- they actually responded with interest:

"Thank you for checking with us regarding your collection. We would be interesting (sic) in making you an offer as long as the magazines are in excellent condition and have all the centerfolds attached. If you can send us a few pictures to confirm this, we can most likely make you an offer. "

...so I am in the process of doing exactly that: going through everyone to report on the condition of each, especially if centerfold is in-tact and shooting some more photos then I already have. I will report back as I progress. 

Here was one pic I sent, just to sort of validate what I had (Second year is in a leather Playboy binder)

IMG_1584.jpg

I wouldn't spend too much time detailing each issue. MyComic Shop has buy pricing online for you to see and after the first dozen issues prices drop off dramatically. By the early 1960s issues they have little value in the condition that they will grade them at, Past that time period they aren't offering anything.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:29 AM, thehumantorch said:

Heritage auctions has sold a number of Playboy magazines 

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=playboy+1&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

you'll need to create a free account to view auction prices, an 8.0 sold for just over $13,000 in 2017.  Be aware that they charge a buyer AND a seller commission and it's substantial.  The commission may be negotiable if you have items that Heritage is very interested in auctioning.  Also be aware that while Heritage is expensive they do do a great job of promoting their auctions and have a lot of bidders.

Other comic auction sites to consider are https://www.comicconnect.com/ , https://www.mycomicshop.com/ , and http://www.comiclink.com/ .  All are worthy auction sites.  I'd suggest you talk to all of them, ask about consignment rates, past history of selling playboy magazines, etc.  One or more of the auction sites may be interested in featuring the collection with a biography of the collector who put this collection together.

Wow, over $71K for a NM CGC 9.4 graded copy of the first issue of Playboy magazine.  :whatthe:

Now, I really regret calling too late and missing my opportunity to pick up a supposedly uber HG copy of this first issue for the grand sum of only $1K back in the late 80's.  By the time I called, it was already gone, but then again, that was probably an exorbitant price even for the first issue of Playboy magazine in those days.  (shrug)  :cry:

On 2/22/2019 at 6:49 AM, Jshorrock said:
On 2/22/2019 at 6:22 AM, TwoPiece said:

Do you mind sharing how you got robbed? Didn't receive payout? Sold for way under perceived value?

Was it auctioned to in-person crowd or online?

online and it sold for way under what it was worth.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:19 AM, Jshorrock said:

It was Skinner.

Now, that's an auction site that probably nobody here has ever heard of when it comes to comic book or other related collectibles.  :gossip:

Not so sure that you was robbed by the auction house.  Looks more like a case that you robbed yourself by not doing your due diligence in terms of selecting the proper auction venue to sell your signed copy of Playboy.  doh!

On 3/5/2019 at 11:35 PM, divad said:

I'll take everything after Jan '55 (if they are in mint condition) through the "Girls of James Bond" smoking gun issue for the right price. :bigsmile: 

I am in a similar situation having inherited the Dec 1953 Page 3 (not graded--just stored in paper envelope in Climate Controlled storage--I would say decent shape, not mint some staining and yellowing nothing torn ripped)

and all the 1954's EXCEPT September.  I am not looking to sell at this time but looking to see what a reasonable price would be on the 1954 September

53 playboy 1 (1).jpeg

53 playboy 1 (2).jpeg

i have a few as well. I am looking to sell.

Misc Magazines
The New Rogue - Designed For Men - April 1966
JEM For Playfull Men: Vol 8 #3 April (Year ?)
California Girl - Entertainment For Women: Vol 1 #1 Jan 1973 - Premier Issue
California Girl - Entertainment For Women: Vol 1 #2 April 1973
Hustler Nov 2013
Cheri #209 2013
PENTHOUSE
Nov 1976 - Pet of the Year 
------------------------------------
July 1979 - Donna Summer Cover
Aug 1979 - Diane Weber Cover
Sept 1979 - 10th Anniversary Issue/Collectors Edition
Oct 1979 - Back to School Issue
Nov 1979 - Pet of the Year Special Issue
Dec 1979 - Pet of the Year Runner Up
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 1980 - Cover: Pet Tamara Kapitas
Feb 1980 - Cover: Blondie
March 1980 - Cover: Mary Bess Knight
April 1980 - Cover: Annie Hookersmith
May 1980 - Special Caligula Issue
July 1980 - Pet of the Year Playoff
Sept 1980 - Special Anniversary Issue
Oct 1980 - Cover: Kristen Knutsen
Nov 1980 - Pet of the Year Special Issue
Dec 1980 - Pet of the Year Runner Up
------------------------------------------------------
Jan 1981 - Cover: Suzee
Feb 1981 - Cover: Brenda Holiday
March 1981 - Cover: Delfina Ponti
April 1981 - Cover: Joann Lathem
June 1981 - Pet of the Year Play Off
July 1981 - Cover: Caprice Bell
Aug 1981 - Cover: Corinne Alphen
Sept 1981 - Special Anniversary Issue
Nov 1981 - Pet of the Year Special Issue
Dec 1981 - Cover: Sheila Kennedy
-------------------------------------------------------
Jan 1983 - Cover: Carmen Pope (POTY Poster)
Feb 1983 - Cover: Loretta Lee Ybarra
March 1983 - Cover: Suzie Farrell
April 1983 - Cover: Veronique Jolie
May 1983 - Cover: Linda Kenton
June 1983 - Cover: Cody Carmack
July 1983 - Cover: Krista Simon
Aug 1983 - Cover: Shana Ross
Sept 1983 - Special Anniversary Issue
Oct 1983 - Cover: Pia Zadora
Nov 1983 - Cover: Lale Hansen
Dec 1983 - Special Edition Pet of the Year / Cover: Sheila Kennedy
---------------------------------------------------
Jan 1984 - Cover: Cody Carmack
March 1984 - Cover: Teri Jory
June 1984 - Cover: Teddy Treacher
July 1984 - Special Issue: Pet of the Year Cover: Stacy Cole 
Aug 1984 - Special Olympic Issue Cover: Janette Starion
Sept 1984 - 15th Anniversary Issue Cover: Vanessa Williams & George Burns 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 1985 - Cover: Vanessa Williams & George Burns
Feb 1985 - Cover: Brittany Dane
March 1985 - Cover: Sue & Louise Elvin
April 1985 - Cover: Fasha
May 1985 - Cover: Delia Empey
June 1985 - Cover: Special Issue: Pet of the Year
July 1985 - Cover: Charle Dean
Aug 1985 - Cover: Angela Nicholas
Sept 1985 - Special Anniversary Issue Cover: Madonna
Oct 1985 - Cover: Jennifer James0
Nov 1985 - Cover: Carina Ragnarsson
Dec 1985 - Special Holiday Issue Cover: Sophie Favier 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 1986 - Cover: Susan Napoli
March 1986 - Cover: Michelle Walker
May 1986 - Cover: Christine Dupree 
June 1986 - POTY PlayOff 
July 1986 - Cover: Krista Pflanzer
Aug 1986 - Cover: Patty Mullen
Sept 1986 - Special Anniversary Issue / Cover: Lauren Hutton
Oct 1986 - Cover: Janna Adams
Nov 1986 - Cover: Ginger Miller
Dec 1986 - Special Holiday Issue / Cover: Jill Shawntai
----------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Jan 1987 - POTY / Cover: Mindy Farrar (Poster)
March 1987 - POTY Runner Up / Cover: Angela Nicholas
May 1987 - Cover: Melissa Leigh 
June 1987 - Cover: Samantha Fox
July 1987 - Cover: Lisa Mandoki  
Oct 1987 - Cover: Sheila Kennedy
Nov 1987 - Cover: Nicola
Dec 1987 - Special Christmas Edition / Cover: Janice Martin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 1988 - Special POTY Edition / Cover: Patty Mullen 
Feb 1988 - Special: POTY Runner-Up / Cover: Krista Pflanzer 
March 1988 - Cover: Toni
April 1988 - Cover: Delia Sheppard
May 1988 - Cover: Kelley Wild  
July 1988 - Cover: Micky Honsa 
Aug 1988 - Cover: Lisa Aiton
-------------------------------------------------
Jan 1989 - POTY / Cover: Ginger Miller (Poster)
Feb 1989 - Special: POTY Runner-Up / Cover: Lola Anders
March 1989 - Cover: Sunny Woods
April1989 - Cover: Simone Brigette
June1989 - POTY PlayOff / Cover: Katja Zajcek
July 1989 - Cover: Suzy
Aug 1989 - Cover: Sara Norton
Sept 1989 - 20th Anniversary Issue / Cover: Lynn Johnson (Poster)
Oct 1989 - Cover: Diana Van Gils
Nov 1989 - Cover: Chanel
Dec 1989 - Cover: Kristen Stewart
----------------------------------------------
Jan 1990 - Special Holiday Edition POTY / Cover: Stephanie Page (Poster)
Feb 1990 - Cover: Justine Delahunty
March 1990 - Special Issue POTY Runner-Up / Cover: Brandy O.
April 1990 - Cover: Jaqueline Winfield
May 1990 - Cover: Jisel
June 1990 - Special 250th Issue / POTY Play-Off / Cover: Amy Lynn
July 1990 - Cover: Teneil
Aug 1990 - Cover: Karen Brennan
Sept 1990 - Cover: Linda Johnson
Dec 1990 - Cover: Diana Van Laar
---------------------------------------------
Jan 1991 - Special Holiday Edition POTY / Cover: Mahalia Maria (Poster) 
Feb 1991 - Cover: Tara Jackson
March 1991 - Cover: Janine Lindermulder
April 1991 - Cover: Andrew Dice Clay
June 1991 - Special POTY Play-Off / Cover: Julie Strain 
July 1991 - Cover: Lacey
Sept 1991 - Cover: Sasha Vinni
Nov 1991 - Cover: Shannon Williams
--------------------------------
Dec 2013 POTY Playoff
Nov 2015 - Sexual Health Issue
Dec 2015 - The Holiday Issue
April 2016 - The Travel Issue
Feb 2016 - The Valentines Issue
-------------------------------------------

PLAYBOY
Oct - 1975
March & Nov 1977
Playboy's Book of Lingerie 1989
April - 1995
Feb - Dec 1998
Jan - Oct, Dec 1999
Jan - Dec 2001 
Jan, June, Sept, Nov & Dec 2002
Jan - Sept, Nov & Dec 2003
Jan - Aug 2004
Playboy's College Girl Fantasies 2004
Playboy's Sizzling Summer Nudes 2004
Jan 2005 - Nov 2005
Jan - Dec 2006
Jan - Dec 2007
Jan - Dec 2008
Jan - April, June, Sept - Dec 2009
March - June, Aug, Nov & Dec 2010
Jan & Feb, June & July, Dec 2011
Jan/Feb 2012
April - June 2013
Sept - 2013

On 2/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, Jshorrock said:

I inherited a large playboy collection.  I want to sell the collection. I know it is worth a lot.  I have researched values, but not sure how/where to sell them.  Here is a partial list and photos of the first one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inventory Qty

Playboy - 1953 - Marilyn Monroe - First Issue- CGC rated 8.0 1
Playboy - 1953 - Marilyn Monroe - First Issue- copy issue 1
Playboy - 1954 - January 1
1954 - (2 playboy trading cards) 2
Miss March (Delores Del Monte) 1954- signed 8 1/2 x 11 (2) 2
Playboy - 1954 - February 1
Playboy - 1954 - March - SIGNED – certified 1
Playboy - 1954 - April 1
Playboy - 1954 - May 2
Playboy - 1954 - June 1
Playboy - 1954 - July 1
Playboy - 1954 - August 2
Playboy - 1954 - September 1
Playboy - 1954 - Octiber 1
Playboy - 1954 - November 1
Playboy - 1954 - December 1
Playboy - 1955 - January 1
Playboy - 1955 - February 3
Playboy - 1955 - April 4
Playboy - 1955 - May 2
Playboy - 1955 - June 3
Playboy - 1955 - July 4
Playboy - 1955 - August 1
Playboy - 1955 - September 1
Playboy - 1955 - October 2
Playboy - 1955 - November 1
Playboy - 1955 - December 1
Playboy - 1956 - January 2
Playboy - 1956 - February 2
Playboy - 1956 - March 1
Playboy - 1956 - April- Bunny cover 2
Playboy - 1956 - May 2
Playboy - 1956 - June 2
Playboy - 1956 - July 2
Playboy - 1956 - August 2
Playboy - 1956 - September 2
Playboy - 1956 - October 2
Playboy - 1956 - November 3
Playboy - 1956 - December 2
Playboy - 1957 - January 2
Playboy - 1957 - February 2
Playboy - 1957 - March 2
Playboy - 1957 - April 2
Playboy - 1957 - May 2
Playboy - 1957 - June 1
Playboy - 1957 - October 1
Playboy - 1957 - November 1
Playboy - 1957 - December 1
Playboy - 1958 - January 1
Playboy - 1958 - February 1
Playboy - 1958 - March 1
Playboy - 1958 - April 1
Playboy - 1958 - May 1
Playboy - 1958 - June 3
Playboy - 1958 - August 1
Playboy - 1958 - September 1
Playboy - 1958 - October 1
Playboy - 1958 - November 1
Playboy - 1958 - December 1
Playboy - 1959 - January 1
Playboy - 1959 - February 1
Playboy - 1959 - March 1
Playboy - 1959 - April 1
Playboy - 1959 - May 1
Playboy - 1959 - June 1
Playboy - 1959 - August 1
Playboy - 1959 - September 1
Playboy - 1959 - October 1
Playboy - 1959 - November 1
Playboy - 1959 - December 1
Playboy - 1960 - February 1
Playboy - 1960 - March 1
Playboy - 1960 - April 1
Playboy - 1960 - May 1
Playboy - 1960 - June 1
Playboy - 1960 - July 1
Playboy - 1960 - August 1
Playboy - 1960 - September 1
Playboy - 1960 - October 1
Playboy - 1960 - November 1
Playboy - 1960 - December 1
Playboy - 1961 - January 1
Playboy - 1961 - February 1
Playboy - 1961 - March 1
Playboy - 1961 - April 1
Playboy - 1961 - May 1
Playboy - 1961 - June 1
Playboy - 1961 - July 1
Playboy - 1961 - August 1
Playboy - 1961 - September 1
Playboy - 1961 - October 1
Playboy - 1961 - November 1
Playboy - 1961 - December 1
Playboy - 1962 - May 9
Playboy - 1962 - June 7
Playboy - 1963 - June 2
Playboy - 1964 - January 1
Playboy - 1964 - February 1
Playboy - 1964 - March 1
Playboy - 1964 - April 1
Playboy - 1964 - May 1
Playboy - 1964 - June 1
Playboy - 1964 - July 1
Playboy - 1964 - August 1
Playboy - 1964 - September 1
Playboy - 1964 - October 1
Playboy - 1964 - November 1
Playboy - 1964 - December 1
Playboy - 1965 - January 1
Playboy - 1965 - February 1
Playboy - 1965 - March 1
Playboy - 1965 - April 1
Playboy - 1965 - May 1
Playboy - 1965 - June 1
Playboy - 1965 - July 1
Playboy - 1965 - August 1
Playboy - 1965 - September 2
Playboy - 1965 - October 1
Playboy - 1965 - November 1
Playboy - 1965 - December 1
1966 Playboy Magazine (Special Parody Issue & Harvard Lampoon Parody Of Playboy) 2

Playboy - 1966 - January 1
Playboy - 1966 - February 1
Playboy - 1966 - March 1
Playboy - 1966 - April 1
Playboy - 1966 - May 1
Playboy - 1966 - June 1
Playboy - 1966 - July 1
Playboy - 1966 - August 1
Playboy - 1966 - September 1
Playboy - 1966 - October 1
Playboy - 1966 - November 2
Playboy - 1966 - December 1
Playboy - 1968 - January 1
Playboy - 1968 - May 1
Playboy - 1968 - December 1
Playboy - 1969 - 15th Holiday Anniversary 1
Playboy - 1974 - May 1
Playboy - 1976 - November 1
Playboy - 1979 - March 1
Playboy - 1990 - February 2
Playboy - 1992 - May 2
Playboy - 1993 - June 2
Playboy - 1997 - January 1
Playboy - 1998 - August 1
Playboy - 1999 - March 1
Playboy - 2000 - January Millenium 1
Playboy - 2002 - June 1
Playboy - 2007 - January 1
Playboy - 2011 - January 1
Playboy - 1999 - 45th Expo Collector Cards 1
Playboy Centerfold Cards Limited Edition Sets (Hundreds of cards

Folder of Centerfolds from early editions  
Playboy - 1986 - April 1
Playboy - 1990 3
Playboy - 1992 - Dec 1
Playboy - 1994 - June 1
Playboy - 1994 - Oct 1
Playboy - 1995- January 1
Playboy - 1995 - August 1
Playboy - 1997 - April 1
Playboy - 2000 - January 1
Playboy - 2001 - June 1
Playboy - 2002 - June 1
Playboy - 2004 - June 1

2004854-F001.jpg

2004854-B001 (1).jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.JPEG

Man you have a lot of time on your hands.....