• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's STARGIRL series starring Brec Bassinger (2022)
1 1

186 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

In Canada, I just stream it for 'free' using Kodi software onto my laptop <3. Guess it is on CW Network.

DC Universe Streaming and CW Network. And once a season is completed, it is posted in its entirety on HBO Max.

DC Universe/The CW’s Stargirl is full of great characters, but it’s their villains that really stand out. In the recent past, I’ve interviewed Neil Hopkins who plays Lawrence ‘Crusher’ Crock/Sportsmaster. I’ve also spoken with Eric Goins, who plays Steven Sharpe aka Gambler. Two excellent actors and characters. Stargirl’s baddies are so great and at the head of all of that is Neil Jackson as Jordan Mahkent aka Icicle. The leader of the Injustice Society of America, Icicle is a multifaceted character that certainly helps make the show as good as it is.

Which, is why it is incredibly cool to have been able to send Jackson some questions about his role on Stargirl. Keep reading to see Jackson talk about his character, the show, and upcoming projects. The questions asked are my own and his answers were taken directly from our email correspondence.

What was it about the -script for Stargirl that made you want to take the role of Mahkent/Icicle?

It wasn’t so much the -script as it was Geoff John, the creator of the show. I love him and his work and when he pitched me the character of Jordan Mahkent I could just see him and knew I needed to play him.

What kind of research went into creating this character and had you been a comic book fan beforehand?

It was mainly through discussions with Geoff. His version of Icicle is so different to any other version that has come before it. We talked about who this character is and what motivates him and how that would translate to the way he moves and talks.

What is your favorite part about playing this character? Has there been any other character like Jordan that you’ve played before?

I love the sadness of him. It sounds morbid to say, but I love how he is motivated by this tragic event and how that sadness underpins everything he does. There’s a real power and relatability to that.

What was the most challenging scene you’ve done on Stargirl?

It’s a scene in episode 13, that I can’t divulge, but it was one we had to work hard on to find the tone.

What is the atmosphere like on set?

So much fun. And that trickles down from Geoff. His passion is infectious.

Stargirl originated on the DC Universe app, while also being shown on The CW. Congratulations on a season two renewal! Now that Stargirl has been renewed, it’s been announced it will solely/exclusively be on The CW. Are there any concerns about a potential tonal shift going from a streaming service to The CW?

I have no concerns about the move. Amazing people will continue to make an amazing show.

Executive producer Geoff Johns confirmed that Stargirl would not suffer in terms of quality following its jump from DC Universe to The CW. The stellar, jaunty rendering of Johns' Courtney Whitmore had premiered its well-received first season back in May, amid the Covid-19 pandemic. The show quenched a desperate audience's thirst for quality superhero-drama and subsequently wrapped its freshman run with an action-packed, heart-wrenching finale. Stargirl is poised to air second soon, but a change in distributor has worried fans about the quality of the new iteration.

Stargirl debuted as a DC Universe original on May 18, 2020. The following day, the show premiered on CW, and new episodes were telecast every week. Then in July, while the show was only halfway through its freshman run on CW, the network picked it up exclusively for a second season. Stargirl season 2 will now only premiere on CW. While the reasons behind the DC Universe's forgoing of its critically-receptive property weren't clearly pronounced, industry analysts allege that the streamer let go of Stargirl because of it was suffering in competition with HBO Max.

Whatever the reasons behind the show's transition to CW might be, Johns has assured fans that they won't affect the show for the worse. In fact, Stargirl season 2 will reportedly be better than its earlier version. According to John's TVLine interview, Stargirl has "an amazing team, an amazing cast, amazing writers," and they are working tirelessly to create a high-quality show that is both "cinematic and different than all the other shows." The show's original team and top-notch VFX also stay put. Furthermore, John has also rebuked rumors about the show shifting base to Vancouver. Stargirl season 2, like its earlier season, will also film in Atlanta because that is where the production team has constructed its 'giant robot.'

While talking about his show's upcoming season, John did, nonetheless, allude to a leaner budget. But he also elaborated that during the first season most of the cost was consumed for startup investments and recurring visual effects, like Cosmic Staff's animation and Stargirl's robot companion S.T.R.I.P.E. Those costs have already been taken care of, so season 2 is already inherently cheaper than Stargirl season 1. Johns mentioned that if he weren't sure that he'd be able to make Stargirl season 2 at least as good as the season 1, he would never have done the project.

The cinematography of CW shows is typically not inferior to that of DC Universe's. Take the example of the visually pleasing Riverdale and The 100, for instance. Moreover, now that prestigious projects like Supernatural and Arrow have departed from the network, CW is even less likely to take risks with a critically-acclaimed, fan-beloved series. And as far as the narrative's tonality is concerned, Stargirl would not have aired on the CW in the first place if it had been too bold for the network. Stargirl season 2 has a lot of potential for exploring new storylines and avenues for its characters, and Geoff Johns will ensure that the series- which is based on his own comics- stays true to his vision.

Finished it last night and it was thoroughly enjoyable. One of those rare shows which makes its villains genuinely interesting, plus it didn't rely on a 'monster of the week' theme like most other shows and was driven by character arcs - including the villains - from the start.

On 8/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Does anyone have any hi-res shots of Hourman? I know there was a character poster of him, but wanted to see if some other awesome shots were out there?

I didn't realize this, but the Golden Age Hourman was Lou Ferrigno, Jr.

Stargirl Casts Lou Ferrigno Jr. as Hourman, Founding Member of JSA

Here is the younger Hourman.

hourman-stargirl-s1e6.jpg.dedede33db46fa3850b444da5fec26e9.jpg

DC'S STARGIRL - PANEL

DC’s Stargirl creator/executive producer Geoff Johns joins cast members Brec Bassinger, Amy Smart, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington and Cameron Gellman for a panel full of fun and inside scoop. Join the new Justice Society of America as they dive into that epic showdown and learn a little more about each other through some special lenses. 35 min

‘Stargirl’ Casts Nick Tarabay & Jonathan Cake As Eclipso & The Shade, Adds Ysa Penarejo As Recurring

Nick-Tarabay-Eclipso-Jonathan-Cake-The-Shade-1.jpg.365e53f90720bf2d2c67c60871bbdf61.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: DC’s Stargirl has found its Eclipso and The Shade – two of its primary villains for the upcoming season 2 on the CW. Nick Tarabay (The Expanse) will play the series regular role of Eclipso and Jonathan Cake (The Affair) will recur as The Shade. Additionally Ysa Penarejo (Project Mc2) will recur as an undisclosed DC character.

Stargirl creator/EP Geoff Johns teased the upcoming Eclipso and The Shade DC characters earlier this month at New York Comic Con. “Eclipso is so terrifying. I’ve always loved the character, and he’s a very different antagonist or villain than the [Injustice Society of America],” Johns said. He added that The Shade is “the most powerful of them all, and very threatening because no one knows exactly what he wants.”

I've just watched it on Amazon Prime.  Consistently good stories throughout.  Well-balanced, I thought, with high school drama for the younger audience, and a lot of Justice Society and other Golden Age characters to keep me engaged and which I thought were generally interpreted really well and with great effects for a TV series.  With 4K upscaling some of the actors, including the lead, look noticeably too old for high school, but that's commonplace anyway.  Showing the classic teams and characters that I've always been very fond of and the newer legacy characters; Johns successfully, very impressively, transforms his great Stargirl and JSA comics into live action here.

Edited by Ken Aldred

John Wesley Shipp, who plays Jay Garrick on The Flash, will be guest-starring as a new version of the Golden Age Flash in Stargirl season 2.

The Flash's Jay Garrick actor, John Wesley Shipp, is confirmed to appear on Stargirl season 2. One of the new additions to the DC TV franchise last year was Stargirl, starring Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore. As the first season followed her origin story of becoming the titular hero, it also saw the revival of the Justice Society of America. While it initially began as a DC Universe series, it also aired on The CW at the same time in a special agreement between the two platforms. However, for Stargirl season 2, it will officially be a CW exclusive as the show is set to return sometime this year.

Prior to debuting, Stargirl was established to exist on its own Earth while still existing in the Arrowverse. Through Crisis on Infinite Earths, Oliver Queen ended up rebooting the Multiverse as the Spectre. But not only did he create Earth-Prime where most of the DC-CW heroes live, but he rebooted the Multiverse layout too. Prior to the crossover, Earth-2 was the home of Harry Wells and Jessie Quick before being destroyed by the Anti-Monitor. Now, it exists as the home of Stargirl and it appears that The CW is finally having the show crossover with the Arrowverse.

As reported by Entertainment Weekly, Shipp, who plays The Flash in his own series in the '90s and currently Jay Garrick in the Arrowverse, is slated to appear on Stargirl. The CW has revealed that he will appear in the 9th episode of Stargirl season 2 in a "pivotal flashback episode" focusing on the original JSA. Whether or not this will be a retroactively changed version of Shipp's Earth-3 Jay remains to be seen as he hasn't appeared on Earth-Prime post-Crisis. However, EW does describe that this will establish him as officially being the Golden Age Flash of Earth-2, something that universe didn't have before.

DC's Stargirl is officially headed back to The CW this summer. The series was renewed for a second season back in July of 2020 when it was also announced that The CW would be the exclusive in-season home for the series -- DC's Stargirl debuted on the DC Universe streaming platform with episodes then airing a day later on The CW during Season 1. Production on Season 2 is already underway, but a promo during Tuesday night's premiere of Superman & Lois confirmed that Courtney Whitmore and her friends would be back this summer. The exact return date has not yet been shared.

The confirmation that DC's Stargirl is coming this summer is the latest update on the series. Last week, it was announced that John Wesley Shipp will be making an appearance in Season 2 as Earth-2's Jay Garrick, a move that seems to further establish Stargirl's place in the broader Arrowverse as Shipp has been a frequent guest as a version of Jay Garrick on The Flash as well. There are other new faces that will appear in Season 2 as well. Last fall it was announced that Jim Gaffigan is joining the series as Thunderbolt, the 5th Dimensional Jinn that grants powerful abilities to his allies, though Gaffigan's character will be CGI on the series.