• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's STARGIRL series starring Brec Bassinger (2022)
1 1

186 posts in this topic

The cancelation of DC’s Stargirl comes less than a month after Nexstar Media Group completed its acquisition of the network and is the latest series coming to an end. It joins the likes of series such as The Flash, Riverdale and Nancy Drew, which are also finishing.

Deadline understands the team behind DC’s Stargirl, like Nancy Drew, were given an early indication that this may have been the final season and to write an ending that would reflect that. The decision is thought to have been made by the Nexstar executives.

“Stargirl has always held a special place in my heart for many reasons. With all the brewing changes at the network, we were aware this was possibly the last season, so we wrote with that in mind and have delivered what I believe to be the best season of Stargirl yet, with complete creative closure,” Johns said. “The cast and crew are extraordinary, and I’d like to thank them for helping me bring this series to life. Brec embodied Courtney in every way possible — with grace, strength and humor — exceeding my wildest expectations. I am grateful to WBTV and The CW for giving us a home to tell this story and to honor my beloved late sister, and I’m beyond thankful to the press and fans who have always championed us for three amazing seasons. Most series never get this far. We couldn’t be more proud of our show and the fan community it’s built!”

While it is sad to see one of the few good superhero shows cancelled, I think this is a decent place to stop. We got a pretty good series and the writers have been given ample notice to wrap it up with a proper ending (something many shows don't get), and it leaves us on a high note rather than risking diminishing returns in quality for a few more seasons. 

The other plus side is this might open up many of these JSA characters to be considered by execs/writers for larger adaptations in the DCEU, especially Stargirl and Hourman, since a general audience is already somewhat familiar with them and shown to have an active fanbase (making them a safer bet to bring into a JSA movie or cameo)

So Infinity Inc. part 2 was the last episode ever? I watched as the episodes came out and I really enjoyed the show, though I gotta say that ending felt like it was the end of the first half of a season, with the next 8 episode arc on the way.

On 11/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, davidpg said:

So Infinity Inc. part 2 was the last episode ever? I watched as the episodes came out and I really enjoyed the show, though I gotta say that ending felt like it was the end of the first half of a season, with the next 8 episode arc on the way.

It will run to I believe December 7th as the final episode.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, davidpg said:

Okay, that makes MUCH more sense!

I agree.

I am surprised how much this show worked for me. I saw it as the teen audience focus, and then realized how it worked across audience ages. That CW sale is another disruptor like what happened with Netflix and Disney/Marvel.

What an incredible series. And if this truly is the end of the show, a solid way to head on out.

If not for this forum being more 'Make Mine Marvel' it would be a solid experience for the broader group. But it is what it is.

December 7th will be the finale - for now.

:wishluck:

TVLINE | In your statement about Stargirl‘s cancellation, you made clear you were given the chance to prepare a series finale and provide full closure. But if this had been just a season finale, what would have been dropped? Would Cameron maybe not have returned yet?

JOHNS: It would’ve been exactly the same episode. Someday I might go into what would’ve happened in [a potential] Season 4, but knowing that we were most likely ending with Season 3 it was always designed to do that. There was an idea in the very final scene [via] a little bit of different dialogue that was going to propel us to a Season 4 story, but I altered it to act as a closing chapter. But there’s nothing in the episode that would’ve dramatically changed.

TVLINE | I doubt many viewers would have noticed if Courtney didn’t tie things up with the Gambler’s daughter. Why was that scene a “must” for you?

That’s a huge scene for me. The whole [reason] Courtney was motivated to do this in the first place was she saw Gambler, as she said early on in the season, acting like a better father than her own biological father. And Pat said it, too, that Courtney’s forever pain is going to be her dad. The way he treated her and rejected her, it left a horrible scar. And it’s never going to go away. So if she sees an opportunity to prevent somebody from having to feel the way she does, knowing what that pain is like, she’s going to do everything that she can to make sure that the other person doesn’t feel the way she does. And there’s a beautiful moment in that scene where [Courtney] brings the letter and talks to Becky and tells her — I get emotional just thinking about it — that her that her father just didn’t want her to think he had abandoned her. He wanted her to know he loved her, no matter what. And when Courtney leaves, you can see her instinctively reach for her locket that’s not there. She’s thinking about the locket that her dad took, and she stopped because she realizes it’s not there. And she quickly regains her composure, puts her umbrella up and walks into the rain. And that was such an important moment that manifested there, because it shows you that she’s going to always have that pain in her. And she’s going to do whatever she can to make sure others don’t feel that way. That’s why there was no negotiation about that scene not being in there.

What a solid ending for this show.

Surprised how good it turned out to be throughout all three seasons.

The show could have had an Infinity Inc spin-off centred around Jade and Obsidian. 

https://screenrant.com/stargirl-show-spinoff-idea-details-geoff-johns/