• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CW's STARGIRL series starring Brec Bassinger (2022)
1 1

186 posts in this topic

The CW is locking in more of its 2021-22 schedule.

The network has picked up a second season of Kung Fu, which has gotten off to a strong start, and a third run of DC series Stargirl, three months ahead of its second-season premiere in the summer. Both are from Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti Productions, the latter of which now has eight series set at The CW for next season.

"We are beyond proud to continue to share the stories of Nicky Shen and Courtney Whitmore, two strong, powerful young women at the center of this new generation of hit shows for The CW in Kung Fu and DC's Stargirl, said CW chairman Mark Pedowitz.  "While each boasts remarkable talent on both sides of the camera, Kung Fu and Stargirl have not only treated fans to some visually stunning action and high-flying heroics, but they also both strike very powerful emotional chords as they delve into the family dynamics and personal relationships at their core, and we are so excited to see what happens next."

This looks like a good sign for Season Two.

Just watched through Episode 6.  This is surprisingly a very good show.  Obviously somewhat catered towards a younger (teenage) audience, but it has some coming of age lessons and some great action that simply makes this fun to watch. Good character development and love to see the Justice Society brought into modern times.  Even the passcode for the door lock in episode 6 was “1941”, so subtle references back to the golden age and early Justice Society days.  Very enjoyable thus far! 

I've still got to watch season 1. Had it on bluray for ages, just haven't got around to starting it. Now I've finished my Letterkenny viewing I'll be starting this next, I think. 

Speaking to Collider, Bassinger was asked whether there had been any discussions about the recently announced third season. The actress responded affirmatively, saying that "showrunner Geoff [Johns] has six seasons planned in his head" and that plans for Stargirl season 3 had been discussed since she was first cast in the show. Bassinger added that now season 3 is officially confirmed, she's hearing more about it and that she is "freaking pumped," promising that there will be significant pay-offs to what has already been teased and set up throughout the first two seasons. You can read Bassinger's full statement below:

"Oh, yeah. Our showrunner Geoff [Johns] has six seasons planned in his head. I’ve been hearing about the third season since I booked the show, which is fun. I’m always excited for the next thing. But more recently, I had a deeper conversation with him about the whole storyline of Season 3 and I am freaking pumped. There’s been a lot of slow burners that you’ve asked me about and, in Season 3, a lot of that comes right to the forefront, as of now. Obviously, those things are always subject to change, but I think there’ll be a lot of payoff in Season 3."

With its sophomore season well underway, Stargirl has promoted both Neil Hopkins and Joy Osmanski to series regulars for season 3. Stargirl stars Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore who discovers the staff of the dead superhero Starman a decade after he and his cohorts were defeated by their enemies - the Injustice Society. With the aid of her stepfather, Luke Wilson's Pat Dugan (Starman's former sidekick), Courtney leads a new generation of the Justice Society of America (JSA) including Anjelika Washington's Doctor Mid-Nite, Cameron Gellman's Hourman, and Yvette Monreal's Wildcat.

Shifting across to the CW for its second season, subtitled "Summer School," the new season of Stargirl sees the new JSA patrolling Blue Valley in the wake of defeating the Injustice Society at the end of season 1. However, greater threats have emerged in the form of one of DC Comics' most dangerous villains, the entity known as Eclipso. Stargirl must also contend with the arrival of Jennie Lynn Scott/Jade (Ysa Penarejo), the supposed daughter of former Green Lantern Alan Scott.

Speaking to Comicbook.com, Osmanski indicated that this could mark the start of a journey on the path to redemption for Tigress in the future. When explicitly asked if she thinks her character can be redeemed, Osmanski said: "You know, I do," and added, "[Paula and Crusher] realize that they have to grow and change along with Artemis." You can read Osmanski's full statement below:

"You know, I do. I think the ideology of the ISA was so much about Icicle's vision and Brainwave's vision and this extreme method of getting what they wanted. It sounded good, but then you're like, this is how you're doing it. And I think, Paula and Crusher often felt used. They were described as the attack dogs. And that's not a role that's necessarily that fun to play after a while because there's not a whole lot of autonomy. So, I feel that Paula in her future has a chance to expand her understanding of what her role is. And particularly with her daughter, if you have a kid who is a teenager and getting older and you can't fool them as much. You know what I mean? I have a 20-year-old step-kid and I can't do anything that will trick my kid. It's all got to be adult from here on out. So, I think them coming clean with their daughter is a sign that they realize that they have to grow and change along with Artemis."