• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Career Opportunities
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, kav said:

I can attest that pursuing your dream, despite what hollywood says, is nearly always a complete waste of your life.  If it was true everyone would be a singer, actor, artist or writer-there would be no plumbers or ditch diggers.  

journey not the destination ?

11 hours ago, littledoom said:

journey not the destination ?

Not really.  In a way maybe.  But if the only reason you say draw 8 hours a day is because you want to do that for a career, and it never happens, you have wasted years of your life.  If I knew ahead of time that the goal was unattainable, I would have dropped my pencil instantly and went out and experienced the world.  Sure I enjoyed drawing but one hour a day would be plenty for a 'hobby'.

2 hours ago, kav said:

Not really.  In a way maybe.  But if the only reason you say draw 8 hours a day is because you want to do that for a career, and it never happens, you have wasted years of your life.  If I knew ahead of time that the goal was unattainable, I would have dropped my pencil instantly and went out and experienced the world.  Sure I enjoyed drawing but one hour a day would be plenty for a 'hobby'.

if you knew doing what you loved kills you.. would you still love it?

1 minute ago, littledoom said:

if you knew doing what you loved kills you.. would you still love it?

I mean I loved drawing-but doing it 8 hours a day was because i was expecting results.  Hollywood always told me if you follow your dream you will achieve it.  I would not have drawn that much if I knew it was pointless.  40 years of ave. of 8 hours a day-a full time job basically that nettted me zippo.  I could have gotten a second job and earned abt $800,000.

29 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean I loved drawing-but doing it 8 hours a day was because i was expecting results.  Hollywood always told me if you follow your dream you will achieve it.  I would not have drawn that much if I knew it was pointless.  40 years of ave. of 8 hours a day-a full time job basically that nettted me zippo.  I could have gotten a second job and earned abt $800,000.

My daughter is a fellow artist and has drawn since she was old enough to pick up a pencil. That is not exaggeration. She is supremely talented and also is a sculptress. She's got a studio in Cornwall, but in all honesty she has never made it big financially. 

People like you and my daughter are gifted. That is sometimes as much a curse as a gift. When you have a rare talent it is nigh on impossible to turn your back on it and walk away, and nor should you.

Most people are not born with gifts. It's not always about the money. :foryou:

6 minutes ago, G G ® said:

My daughter is a fellow artist and has drawn since she was old enough to pick up a pencil. That is not exaggeration. She is supremely talented and also is a sculptress. She's got a studio in Cornwall, but in all honesty she has never made it big financially. 

People like you and my daughter are gifted. That is sometimes as much a curse as a gift. When you have a rare talent it is nigh on impossible to turn your back on it and walk away, and nor should you.

Most people are not born with gifts. It's not always about the money. :foryou:

True.  But I wanted money-I wanted to be paid for drawing so that would be my job and I could just do only that.  It never happened.  I see hollywood's version of life as destructive-so many students have straight Fs-they are completely uninterested in school because they fully believe they will be a rapper artist or sports or movie star.  It is simply not true that if you follow your dream you will achieve it.  Not even close.

They also dont even put in any work-the 'raps' they construct dont even rhyme.  They just think they WILL be a rapper because they WANT it.  If you watch american idol they always ask "Why should you be the next american idol?"  The answer is always "Because I really want it".  Hollywood needs to stop this branewashin program of our youth ASAP.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

True.  But I wanted money-I wanted to be paid for drawing so that would be my job and I could just do only that.  It never happened.  I see hollywood's version of life as destructive-so many students have straight Fs-they are completely uninterested in school because they fully believe they will be a rapper artist or sports or movie star.  It is simply not true that if you follow your dream you will achieve it.  Not even close.

Oh, I totally agree with that but having a gift is kind of a burden, because you feel like that should be the means to the end. Not everyone makes it. If most singers and performers were judged on sheer talent a lot of them fall way, way short.

It's all about the breaks. Most people have neither the luck or the gift. I'd rather have a gift and no luck, then no gift and no luck.

You are blessed really. 

Now if your dream is to be a doctor or architecht-sure-that you can make happen.  Because you have some control of grades and whatnot.  Jobs that are out of your hands, the artistic high paying fun jobs-that's pretty much a lottery with very few winners.

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

You are blessed really. 

I am.  And i am actually grateful that I never became a comic artist.  But still-I wasted a large part of my life that could have been spent actually living.

I also have thousands of pages of comic and other art and airbrish paintings and whatnot that will hit the dumpster when I die.  I have no family members to leave anything to.  I have an aunt in her 80s in a nursing home that's pretty much it.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I also have thousands of pages of comic and other art and airbrish paintings and whatnot that will hit the dumpster when I die.  I have no family members to leave anything to.  I have an aunt in her 80s in a nursing home that's pretty much it.

I don't really know how to respond, other than I'm sorry.

14 hours ago, kav said:

Hey, Don't feel too bad, We all get stuck doing jobs/things we don't wanna do! 

For example: I wasted 2:32 hours of my life watching the Last Jedi in 2017!  lol 

Plus, we enjoy the art you post here! 

:tink: