• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Career Opportunities
3 3

156 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, paqart said:

I wonder how they'd react to old folks like myself? My first job at the age of 12 was at a comic book store in San Jose. My job was literally to grade and price collections because 1) I was good at grading comics, and 2) I memorized the Overstreet guide every year. later on, after acquiring and selling several collections, I became a comic book artist at Marvel and DC, one of which was made into a TV series, then a CG artist, VFX artist on superhero movies (Spider-Man, Daredevil, and others), then started a school for CG artists in the Netherlands and earned a PhD. All of this would, I think, be useful to a company like CGC. I have loads of contacts in the comic book industry, understand the history, and collecting issues. However, the new 10 point grading scale is something I am still getting used to. I'll be curious to see how closely matched my grade estimates are with the final grades of the 75 comics I recently sent to CGC.

Just so you know, there are some older folks working at CGC. And having a good understanding of pop culture is definitely a plus...  (thumbsu

On 12/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, PovertyRow said:

Shouldn't that be "an Organizational", not "a Organizational"?

image.jpeg.7110c1567a6cb72e41d25cbfe4bd659d.jpeg

Edited by s-man

On 12/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, PovertyRow said:

Shouldn't that be "IF YOU CAN TURN IN YOUR GRAMMAR POLICE BADGE, THAT'D BE GREAT"?

i stand corrected sir

On 6/3/2021 at 9:18 PM, paqart said:

I wonder how they'd react to old folks like myself? My first job at the age of 12 was at a comic book store in San Jose. My job was literally to grade and price collections because 1) I was good at grading comics, and 2) I memorized the Overstreet guide every year. later on, after acquiring and selling several collections, I became a comic book artist at Marvel and DC, one of which was made into a TV series, then a CG artist, VFX artist on superhero movies (Spider-Man, Daredevil, and others), then started a school for CG artists in the Netherlands and earned a PhD. All of this would, I think, be useful to a company like CGC. I have loads of contacts in the comic book industry, understand the history, and collecting issues. However, the new 10 point grading scale is something I am still getting used to. I'll be curious to see how closely matched my grade estimates are with the final grades of the 75 comics I recently sent to CGC.

Impressive!

On 6/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, paqart said:

I'll be curious to see how closely matched my grade estimates are with the final grades of the 75 comics I recently sent to CGC.

If you got a job as a grader, I'm sure Colonel Sanders will be there at the swearing in ceremony.   The exact formula is something even Mark Zaid's security clearance can't budge!

On 5/16/2023 at 3:52 AM, Microchip said:

If you got a job as a grader, I'm sure Colonel Sanders will be there at the swearing in ceremony.   The exact formula is something even Mark Zaid's security clearance can't budge!

BTW, I finally got the 75 back, after over a year of waiting. It's been a little while since I got them but as I recall, the grades I assigned before sending the comics were very close (identical) to a couple of batches that were graded together but a little off with a couple other batches. Two momics are significantly off (more than a full point) due to damage I either didn't see or was caused by CGC. In one case (detached cover) I am fairly sure it was CGC's fault. The smaller differences all happened with the higher grade comics, where I thought it was a 9.8 and it came back a 9.6 or even a 9,4. It also worked the other way, where I had assigned 9.4 and it came back a 9.8. In the attached image, I had expected the Hulk #1 and Deadpool #1 to be 9.8's but they both came back 9.4's. The Hulk #92 is what I expected. These three ASM #30's were expected to be exactly what they came back as. Two different graders, I think.

Hulk and Deadpool.jpg

ASM 30 X2.jpg

On 5/21/2023 at 1:48 AM, paqart said:

BTW, I finally got the 75 back, after over a year of waiting. It's been a little while since I got them but as I recall, the grades I assigned before sending the comics were very close (identical) to a couple of batches that were graded together but a little off with a couple other batches. Two momics are significantly off (more than a full point) due to damage I either didn't see or was caused by CGC. In one case (detached cover) I am fairly sure it was CGC's fault. The smaller differences all happened with the higher grade comics, where I thought it was a 9.8 and it came back a 9.6 or even a 9,4. It also worked the other way, where I had assigned 9.4 and it came back a 9.8. In the attached image, I had expected the Hulk #1 and Deadpool #1 to be 9.8's but they both came back 9.4's. The Hulk #92 is what I expected. These three ASM #30's were expected to be exactly what they came back as. Two different graders, I think.

Hulk and Deadpool.jpg

ASM 30 X2.jpg

For a long time I've been a critic of the grading from CGC, with the glaring inconsistencies in grading consistently seen from CGC.   But the time period in which this opinion applies to is 2002 through to 2010.   Of late, I've actually been begrudgingly impressed with the accuracy I'm seeing... until you get to the modern age.   Then all bets are off.   Modern books almost seem to be in a separate grading category.   And right now as a buyer, it's rational to buy moderns in any grade from 9.2 and above, as opposed to a simple rational of paying the small premium for 9.8 books from this era.