• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

I know nothing about the Eternals, but I'm generally hopeful because I love most of the Marvel cosmic characters and stories I've been exposed to through their primary titles like Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Avengers.  If I look at this as a springboard towards widening the Marvel cosmic universe then I'm all in.

Are general audiences or casual fans even going to be interested in this film? In every movie (outside of Thor, but as I have mentioned before, his story is the most tragic) there's a human element to connect with. If this is just more cosmic-space mumbo-jumbo, then what's going to create gravity for psychological or emotional investment..?

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I know nothing about the Eternals, but I'm generally hopeful because I love most of the Marvel cosmic characters and stories I've been exposed to through their primary titles like Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Avengers.  If I look at this as a springboard towards widening the Marvel cosmic universe then I'm all in.

This was a pretty good saga to get to know them. Amazon has both on the Kindle or tpb form.

Image result for thor eternals  Image result for Eternals saga vol 2 amazon

Saga 1

Collects Thor #283-291 & Thor Annual #7. 

Thor stands alone against the Deviant and Eternals -- while mankind stands doomed! Can even a Thunder God prevail?

Saga 2

Collects Thor (1966) #292-301.

The war between gods and Eternals may be over, but Thor's still left to face the Fourth Celestial Host - along with the fearsome Fafnir, the devastating Destroyer and, as ever, the larcenous Loki! Plus: a gathering of gods! The mystery of Mother Nature! The legends of Asgard across the millennia as told by the ultimate Eye-witness! Guest-starring the Valkyrie and the Young Gods!

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are general audiences or casual fans even going to be interested in this film? In every movie (outside of Thor, but as I have mentioned before, his story is the most tragic) there's a human element to connect with. If this is just more cosmic-space mumbo-jumbo, then what's going to create gravity for psychological or emotional investment..?

I thought the exact same thing with GOTG and I distinctly remember telling friends this movie is going to flop because the characters and story aren't equivalent (familiarity wise) to Wolverine or Spider-Man.  Fortunately GOTG, at least the first one, was a great movie and I'm glad I was wrong.  However, you may be right in that this may be too far a stretch for your average MCU viewer.

I'm not SUPER familiar with the Eternals but I know enough and their story could either be a whole new revolution to the MCU and/or barely crack $300 million.  No clue, only time will tell!

Edited by sagekilz

27 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This was a pretty good saga to get to know them. Amazon has both on the Kindle or tpb form.

Image result for thor eternals  Image result for Eternals saga vol 2 amazon

Saga 1

Collects Thor #283-291 & Thor Annual #7. 

Thor stands alone against the Deviant and Eternals -- while mankind stands doomed! Can even a Thunder God prevail?

Saga 2

Collects Thor (1966) #292-301.

The war between gods and Eternals may be over, but Thor's still left to face the Fourth Celestial Host - along with the fearsome Fafnir, the devastating Destroyer and, as ever, the larcenous Loki! Plus: a gathering of gods! The mystery of Mother Nature! The legends of Asgard across the millennia as told by the ultimate Eye-witness! Guest-starring the Valkyrie and the Young Gods!

Well played

On 7/25/2019 at 10:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Celestials have returned to Earth to judge humankind.  Humans are essentially powerless to stop them, but the Eternals (also living on Earth) aren't completely useless.  Uniting the Eternals, humans, and the Deviants (ancient mutants) could be the key to stopping the Celestial "Judgment Day".

At least, that's what Jack Kirby was doing in the 1970s series.

Edited by valiantman

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

The Celestials have returned to Earth to judge humankind.  Humans are essentially powerless to stop them, but the Eternals (also living on Earth) aren't completely useless.  Uniting the Eternals, humans, and the Deviants (ancient mutants) could be the key to stopping the Celestial "Judgment Day".

Probably a future storyline of the Eternals if not the first movie. Also has vibes of Star Trek IV and Feige has been known to model a lot of MCU stories on Star Trek movies.

Trades started reporting in June Salma Hayek was joining Marvel Studios' The Eternals. The Hitman's Bodyguard star, however, seemingly teased her blockbuster superhero role nearly two years ago. Speaking with Geek Bomb on the press tour for The Hitman's Bodyguard, Hayek let it slip that a superhero role for her was on the horizon.

"It's gonna be...it might happen," Hayek revealed. "We're thinking about it. It's set up somewhere but it's going to take a while."

Goes to show how far out these films are planned sometimes, including lining up the actors in advance. So for two years Feige had the film developing.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, valiantman said:

You know I don't speak Spanish...

I'd like to see something along the lines of Eternity admitting influence of Thanos' "destiny" (in GotG Vol. 3 or Doctor Strange 3), only to realize that The Decimation hatched the Cosmic Egg, and then needed to influence the Avengers to enact The Blip to defend this universe from Galactus.

If they're going to 'introduce' these comics gods, then there has to be some sort of reason for their previous lack of inclusion and also their current involvement. Otherwise it won't make much sense.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Isn't he the one that was in The Collector's exposition from GotG Vol. 1? Wielded the Power Stone at one point?

Yup! I much prefer Eson's Kirby-faithful look to those spindly, busy designs in the SDCC poster. Hopefully they stick to the original designs in the movie :wishluck: