• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 5:27 PM, Axelrod said:

Most any way you look at it, Eternals is going to be a financial disappointment to Marvel, but, on the other hand, comparing "worldwide" totals for films when some of those films include releases in China and some do not is not exactly comparing apples to apples either.  

I’m not making a comparison. I’m talking about the total amount a film makes regardless of how wide of a release it gets. 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:33 AM, ▫️ said:

I’m not making a comparison. I’m talking about the total amount a film makes regardless of how wide of a release it gets. 

Trust me. If it was another studio the 'MY MCU RULES ALL' crew would be giggling while posting "China - no China - this film was a flop!"

Funny how when the review-proof Teflon unravels and the new savior of theaters stumbles, the disclaimers come out of things not to consider.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

Trust me. If it was another studio the 'MY MCU RULES ALL' crew would be giggling while posting "China - no China - this film was a flop!"

Funny how when the review-proof Teflon unravels and the new savior of theaters stumbles, the disclaimers come out of things not to consider.

The investors do not see a difference between China or no China.  They only see money.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, paperheart said:

there is no way to spin Eternals other than that it's a critical and financial flop.

You can totally spin it otherwise.

Forget for a moment the heightened box office expectations for any MCU movie after the franchise's record box office of 2018 and 2019.

The world is still in a global pandemic so box office is down globally. While obviously not on the same box office level of No Time to Die or F9 worldwide, its worldwide box office is right in the middle of the pack with other 2021 films. Domestic box office-wise, give Eternals a couple more weeks and it should pass No Time to Die and a A Quiet Place II.

Yes, according to Rotten Tomatoes, only 48% of the critics gave Eternals a relatively positive review, but the fans have been much more kind to the movie, as 78% of RT users scored the movie positive. This beats out Ant-Man and the Wasp's RT score, another MCU movie which is not considered a flop by any means.

This from a MCU movie which I believe one could classify as an "artistic experiment" and Marvel Studios taking a slight left turn from what it normally does. 

On 11/29/2021 at 4:42 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You can totally spin it otherwise.

Forget for a moment the heightened box office expectations for any MCU movie after the franchise's record box office of 2018 and 2019.

The world is still in a global pandemic so box office is down globally. While obviously not on the same box office level of No Time to Die or F9 worldwide, its worldwide box office is right in the middle of the pack with other 2021 films. Domestic box office-wise, give Eternals a couple more weeks and it should pass No Time to Die and a A Quiet Place II.

Yes, according to Rotten Tomatoes, only 48% of the critics gave Eternals a relatively positive review, but the fans have been much more kind to the movie, as 78% of RT users scored the movie positive. This beats out Ant-Man and the Wasp's RT score, another MCU movie which is not considered a flop by any means.

This from a MCU movie which I believe one could classify as an "artistic experiment" and Marvel Studios taking a slight left turn from what it normally does. 

Show me a business where they can keep spending $300 million plus repeatedly, and keep losing money on those projects, and still have the cash, and investor support to keep doing it.  This has nothing to do with the quality of the product, it has to do with financial reality.  To stay in business (we have 2 possible 3 movies in a row now that have lost money), Disney is going to have to make ajustments.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, drotto said:

Show me a business where they can keep spending $300 million plus repeatedly, and keep losing money on those projects, and still have the cash, and investor support to keep doing it.  This has nothing to do with the quality of the product, it has to do with financial reality.  To stay in business (we have 2 possible 3 movies in a row now that have lost money), Disney is going to have to make ajustments.

Practically every movie in 2020 and 2021 has lost money, because we - are - in - a - pandemic. Or is your beef with the entire moviemaking industry? Because your above  accusations and description of the poor business model is applicable to pretty much every big budget movie. 

Maybe send your complaints to Warner Bros first as Wonder Woman 1984 and The Suicide Squad have each only made about $165 million worldwide this year?

WW84 was released at the very height of the pandemic and most people watched it on HBO Max. Love it or hate it, that's the main reason it didn't make more money. Movies released this Fall are no comparision.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:20 PM, Larryw7 said:

WW84 was released at the very height of the pandemic and most people watched it on HBO Max. Love it or hate it, that's the main reason it didn't make more money. Movies released this Fall are no comparision.

Now we're giving excuses? So does that mean I get to use the "didn't screen in China" excuse now?

On 11/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, drotto said:

In comparing the three 2021 MCU films, it is interesting how soon Disney dropped the Eternals theater count sub-4,000 a few days ahead of Shang-Chi and Black Widow.

MCU_3some.thumb.PNG.5587653f5b73fc97a76ac784e858880e.PNG

On 11/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

In comparing the three 2021 MCU films, it is interesting how soon Disney dropped the Eternals theater count sub-4,000 a few days ahead of Shang-Chi and Black Widow.

MCU_3some.thumb.PNG.5587653f5b73fc97a76ac784e858880e.PNG

There is now more legitimate competition for screens and theaters are pushing  to devote screens to movies more likely to make them money. Plus, we lots a significant number of total screens during Covid, so there are fewer to go around.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:07 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Practically every movie in 2020 and 2021 has lost money, because we - are - in - a - pandemic. Or is your beef with the entire moviemaking industry? Because your above  accusations and description of the poor business model is applicable to pretty much every big budget movie. 

Maybe send your complaints to Warner Bros first as Wonder Woman 1984 and The Suicide Squad have each only made about $165 million worldwide this year?

Not every movie has lost money.  Godzilla vs. Kong, F9, Venom, and soon GB have all made money.  What do they all have in common, lower budgets.

Honestly, yes the movie industry is currently spending money at a rate that is not sustainable given the box office returns we can expect to see over the next few years.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:48 PM, drotto said:

Not every movie has lost money.  Godzilla vs. Kong, F9, Venom, and soon GB have all made money.  What do they all have in common, lower budgets.

Honestly, yes the movie industry is currently spending money at a rate that is not sustainable given the box office returns we can expect to see over the next few years.

Shang Chi had a reported budget of $150 million. Godzilla v Kong had a budget of $160 million. Both made about the same worldwide but GvK got to screen in China where it made $190 million. Shang-Chi was obviously designed not only for the American market, but especially for the China market but the Chinese government unexpectedly prevented the movie from screening there, severely taking away a market it was, in part, made for. That's kind of hard to predict that a country that loves a certain product would suddenly shut its doors to that product.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:48 PM, drotto said:

Also, F9 had a budget of $200 million. I wouldn't call that low budget. 

Yes, Venom 2 had a lower budget of $110 million, but I hope Venom 2 isn't somehow your idea of how superhero movies should be made.

And Ghosbusters Afterlife is going to have to rely mostly on domestic numbers because the Ghostbusters hardly has worldwide appeal.