• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think old time comic collectors are really underestimating Eternals like they did with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel and this Eternals movie could do a billion at box office.

So I will ask you out of that original 19 issue Eternal run what do you think will be the top three keys?

CC

That's pretty easy for me to answer. #1, 3, and 5.

#2 is pretty big, too, with Ajak and Celestials first appearance, but Sersi is the star of the Eternals, so I think her Eternals debut is bigger (even though she actually first appears pre-Eternals in ST #109 in one panel. Eternals #5 has Zuras, Thena, and Makkari debut and I think the heroes trump the Celestials, as cool as they are.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think old time comic collectors are really underestimating Eternals like they did with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel and this Eternals movie could do a billion at box office.

Yeah, I think Eternals is a real important movie for Kevin Feige to get right (or to be successful) as I think the movie will lay a lot of groundwork for the MCU going forward with the Celestials, the Deviant mutant gene, future Avengers like Sersi, connections to other cosmic characters, etc. There's a lot riding on this movie and Chloe Zao is a good filmmaker. I think Eternals is going to surprise people.

23 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think Eternals is going to surprise people.

I agree. I also think Master of Kung Fu will do similar big box-office numbers numbers. What old timers don't get is the Marvel Cinematic Universe is so much more than X-Men and Spider-Man to mainstream modern movie audiences.

36 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that The Eternals will get close to $1 billion.

And I don't think it needs to. With it being a Disney MCU movie, they're going to market the hell out of this movie to make sure the entire world knows what it is. The built-on MCU fan base (which is just about everybody) will go. The strong international and well known cast (I think almost every  major country or continent is represented in this movie) will attract a strong international audience. I see Eternals making at least $800 million. And if it's a great movie, may hit the billion mark. 

Chloe Zao is a good filmmaker and handles drama well, so I think the story will be strong. I think this movie also has the potential for being one of the more visually appealing of the Marvel movies (because the world of the Eternals is crazy). Some of those cast members guarantee the normal Marvel humor, too.

I'm looking forward to Eternals the most out of all the Phase Four movies.

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And I don't think it needs to. With it being a Disney MCU movie, they're going to market the hell out of this movie to make sure the entire world knows what it is. The built-on MCU fan base (which is just about everybody) will go. The strong international and well known cast (I think almost every  major country or continent is represented in this movie) will attract a strong international audience. I see Eternals making at least $800 million. And if it's a great movie, may hit the billion mark. 

Chloe Zao is a good filmmaker and handles drama well, so I think the story will be strong. I think this movie also has the potential for being one of the more visually appealing of the Marvel movies (because the world of the Eternals is crazy). Some of those cast members guarantee the normal Marvel humor, too.

I'm looking forward to Eternals the most out of all the Phase Four movies.

I don't think so. Superhero fatigue is setting in. With Phase 4 looking mediocre-as-Hel, and Worlds of DC having no direction, there isn't much draw to these things in the short-term future. A lot of the previous "built-in fan base" is losing interest, what with only 5 upcoming films, and the homework required via Disney+. They're not gaining traction - they're losing it. The cast doesn't matter. The director doesn't matter.

Add to the fact that it's more new characters, those of which people simply don't know, and those of which people can't empathize with... It'll likely make money from HxC fans who don't wanna miss a beat. Otherwise it doesn't have any draw.

22 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think so. Superhero fatigue is setting in. With Phase 4 looking mediocre-as-Hel, and Worlds of DC having no direction, there isn't much draw to these things in the short-term future. A lot of the previous "built-in fan base" is losing interest, what with only 5 upcoming films, and the homework required via Disney+. They're not gaining traction - they're losing it. The cast doesn't matter. The director doesn't matter.

Add to the fact that it's more new characters, those of which people simply don't know, and those of which people can't empathize with... It'll likely make money from HxC fans who don't wanna miss a beat. Otherwise it doesn't have any draw.

Marvel Studios is the draw. Spiderman FFH has made a billion and is still going strong because it's the MCU Spiderman. Superhero movie fatigue? Sure. Nobody cares about other superhero universes except hardcore fans of those worlds, like DC. Marvel is separate from that pack. It's its own genre now. Marvel has enough content to mine from to keep them going strong for decades. They've captured the world's imagination and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

You say everybody's tired of homework for Disney Plus when the first series doesn't even come out until next fall when Eternals hits theaters. I think you're talking from your own point-of-view and not any real fan base.

Now Star Wars fatigue. That could be something.

30 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Marvel Studios is the draw. Spiderman FFH has made a billion and is still going strong because it's the MCU Spiderman. Superhero movie fatigue? Sure. Nobody cares about other superhero universes except hardcore fans of those worlds, like DC. Marvel is separate from that pack. It's its own genre now. Marvel has enough content to mine from to keep them going strong for decades. They've captured the world's imagination and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

You say everybody's tired of homework for Disney Plus when the first series doesn't even come out until next fall when Eternals hits theaters. I think you're talking from your own point-of-view and not any real fan base.

Now Star Wars fatigue. That could be something.

Lol. Marvel Studios isn't a draw by default anymore. With the Infinity Saga over - there's no umbrella threat and MacGuffins to tie every movie into each other.

Nobody is going to care about the MCU other than "hardcore fans", now, so your comment regarding "other superhero universes" is moot. The MCU is not its own genre. You're so biased that you're just making s^&* up, now. Get a grip on reality. Marvel has no more "content to mine from" than any other studio with published works. Another moot point, though, considering that they make half of their stuff up anyways. More Marvel bias. They haven't "captured the world's imagination" because most of their movies are predictable. That's what made Thanos, Infinity War, and Endgame unique. They didn't draw from the blueprint. Even as good as The Winter Solider was - it was the same carp as the rest of the MCU.

Not sure how you don't get 4 out of 2 + 2. Disney+ = more time and money. That's called stacking fatigue. Common sense, dude.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Lol. Marvel Studios isn't a draw by default anymore. With the Infinity Saga over - there's no umbrella threat and MacGuffins to tie every movie into each other.

Nobody is going to care about the MCU other than "hardcore fans", now, so your comment regarding "other superhero universes" is moot. The MCU is not its own genre. You're so biased that you're just making s^&* up, now. Get a grip on reality. Marvel has no more "content to mine from" than any other studio with published works. Another moot point, though, considering that they make half of their stuff up anyways. More Marvel bias. They haven't "captured the world's imagination" because most of their movies are predictable. That's what made Thanos, Infinity War, and Endgame unique. They didn't draw from the blueprint. Even as good as The Winter Solider was - it was the same carp as the rest of the MCU.

Not sure how you don't get 4 out of 2 + 2. Disney+ = more time and money. That's called stacking fatigue. Common sense, dude.

The Infinity Saga thing as the connecting thread of all the MCU movies is overplayed. Ant-Man, Black Panther, Civil War, Winter Soldier, and the Iron Man Trilogy had zero to do with Infinity Stones. Doctor Strange hardly dealt with the Time Stone until the end. The MCU doesn't need Thanos or Infinity Rocks for people to care because they weren't really an issue until Infinity War and when they were in previous MCU films, they really were just a McGuffin or a post-credit scene.

And the MCU is the ONLY major movie nerd franchise anybody really cares about anymore. People will go see Star Wars but mostly out of a sense of duty. Nobody really cares what happens to Rey and Ben Solo. The MCU has captured the world's imagination. I'm not being biased. That's just fact.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Infinity Saga thing as the connecting thread of all the MCU movies is overplayed. Ant-Man, Black Panther, Civil War, Winter Soldier, and the Iron Man Trilogy had zero to do with Infinity Stones. Doctor Strange hardly dealt with the Time Stone until the end. The MCU doesn't need Thanos or Infinity Rocks for people to care because they weren't really an issue until Infinity War and when they were in previous MCU films, they really were just a McGuffin or a post-credit scene.

And the MCU is the ONLY major movie nerd franchise anybody really cares about anymore. People will go see Star Wars but mostly out of a sense of duty. Nobody really cares what happens to Rey and Ben Solo. The MCU has captured the world's imagination. I'm not being biased. That's just fact.

Wrong again - as the Infinity Saga is the only thing that strung the casual fans along. Obviously you didn't pay attention to those movies, since they all played a part of the series (aside from 2008's Iron Man). And, you're wrong again, as no over-arching story is not going to compel the casual fans to see something like The Eternals.

The bolded is, again, incorrect. Your bias is extremely transparent and leads to a lot of incorrect sentiments. People saw Star Wars out of duty exactly as people saw MCU films. Nobody really cares what happens to characters after Phase 3. There's doesn't appear to be a lead-in to anything. The superhero thing's been played a couple dozen times over the last decade and the honeymoon phase is over.

The MCU has not "captured the world's imagination" by being an unimaginative recycled prototype. You can't even refute it.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:14 PM, Callaway29 said:

Thanks for keeping me honest. Just read #1 online, and combined with your contribution...I'm making the change. Never known MCS to be wrong...I'll have to keep an eye on their data from now on. Updated previous charts, and adding current copy below:

2064530017_EternalsImage.PNG.ba1310e2d30a6d2ba7a196f27d1472fc.PNG

CGC now lists Strange Tales #109 as "1st app of Circe". It should say "1st app of Sersi as Circe", but it's a start. 

363733831_ScreenShot2019-08-12at8_16_01PM.thumb.png.54e06a101e7f7917657e6cfad44af05f.png

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

the Infinity Saga is the only thing that strung the casual fans along.

[XXX} Wrong answer.

As I said before, Thanos and the Infinity Rocks weren't even a presence in some of the most popular MCU films. Casual fans of the franchise were hardly aware of who Thanos even was prior to Infinity War.

What's kept fans coming back to the MCU, and this is the genius of Kevin Feige's plan, is that Marvel got us invested in the heroes, as opposed to the villains or the storyline. The stories have been okay, the villains mostly lackluster. But putting all the focus, the humor, the emotion, and the best scenes on the heroes has made the fans want to follow these hero characters. So when Thor or Tony Stark or Steven Strange or Peter Quill show up in a movie that's not theirs, it draws fans in because it's the heroes we want to see. Part of that attraction is stellar casting, as well.

Instead of the movie itself being the work of art, it's the main character we want to see again and again.

19 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

the Infinity Saga is the only thing that strung the casual fans along.

Here's an analogy from the All-Father to help illustrate the point.

In Ragnarok, Odin says "Asgard is not a place, it's a people." The same could be said of the MCU. Marvel's movie universe is not defined by whatever story arc, it's defined by the heroes. And when I say heroes, I also mean the actor playing that hero. Chris Hemsworth AS Thor is the real value here, not the 1st Thor movie or Thor Dark World. 

George Lucas realized that a long time ago when he asked 20th Century Fox to keep the character rights and not the movie rights to Star Wars. It's the characters, not the movie.

15 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

[XXX} Wrong answer.

As I said before, Thanos and the Infinity Rocks weren't even a presence in some of the most popular MCU films. Casual fans of the franchise were hardly aware of who Thanos even was prior to Infinity War.

What's kept fans coming back to the MCU, and this is the genius of Kevin Feige's plan, is that Marvel got us invested in the heroes, as opposed to the villains or the storyline. The stories have been okay, the villains mostly lackluster. But putting all the focus, the humor, the emotion, and the best scenes on the heroes has made the fans want to follow these hero characters. So when Thor or Tony Stark or Steven Strange or Peter Quill show up in a movie that's not theirs, it draws fans in because it's the heroes we want to see. Part of that attraction is stellar casting, as well.

Instead of the movie itself being the work of art, it's the main character we want to see again and again.

As usual - wrong again.

As I said before, you must not have paid much attention to the MCU (despite your obvious bias), Thanos and the Infinity Stones were the only draw for the casual fan. They had to stick around to see how the season ended.

You just admitted that the villains suck and stories are "okay", so again... That concedes that the Infinity Saga was the only overarching draw for anyone to see movies for titles and characters they knew nothing about. Thanks for that one.

Nobody has heard of The Eternals before, they're not characters that are going to draw empathy, and that's why this movie is almost assuredly not going to be close to a billion.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Marvel is separate from that pack. It's its own genre now. Marvel has enough content to mine from to keep them going strong for decades. They've captured the world's imagination and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Great point. They are the Beatles of this generation. The new rockstars. Just think how many young people have been introduced to the Marvel characters this past decade? The movie versions of Thor, Captain America and Iron Man are considered cooler with this young generation than Led Zep or the Rolling Stones are.

It should be very interesting in 20-25 years when all these new fans grow up and have disposable income. lol.

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Great point. They are the Beatles of this generation. The new rockstars. Just think how many young people have been introduced to the Marvel characters this past decade? The movie versions of Thor, Captain America and Iron Man are considered cooler with this young generation than Led Zep or the Rolling Stones are.

It should be very interesting in 20-25 years when all these new fans grow up and have disposable income. lol.

Maybe it's too much Superhero overdrive.

They have made more superhero movies in the past ten years than in than in the entire cinematic universe before that.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Maybe it's too much Superhero overdrive.

For myself personally after seeing the Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Avengers Infinity War, Avengers Endgame, and Spider Man Far From Home I want more. lol.

To me the Marvel movies seem to be getting better.

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As usual - wrong again.

As I said before, you must not have paid much attention to the MCU (despite your obvious bias), Thanos and the Infinity Stones were the only draw for the casual fan. They had to stick around to see how the season ended.

You just admitted that the villains suck and stories are "okay", so again... That concedes that the Infinity Saga was the only overarching draw for anyone to see movies for titles and characters they knew nothing about. Thanks for that one.

Nobody has heard of The Eternals before, they're not characters that are going to draw empathy, and that's why this movie is almost assuredly not going to be close to a billion.

What I'm saying and repeating again and again is the draw of the MCU is the hero as the franchise. What's kept people coming back is Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, etc. Nobody who isn't a comics nerd gave two bits about Thanos and his Infinity Stones quest until Infinity War. Up until then, the Infinity Stones were just a power source or a McGuffin.

What made Guardians of the Galaxy a success wasn't because casual fans wanted to know how this all ties into Thanos's quest for more rubies but because of clever marketing, strong word of mouth, and the reputation of Marvel Studios to make really entertaining comic book movies. GOTG was a fun charming movie with memorable characters. Ronan trying to get  the Power Stone was just a story, but we all left the theater fans of this misfit group of a-holes and everybody saying "I am Groot."

The Infinity Saga meant nothing without Marvel creating these great characters played by actors that the world has fallen in love with. If Marvel does the same thing with Eternals and Shang Chi and Jane Foster's Mighty Thor, then they'll be a success, too.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

What I'm saying and repeating again and again is the draw of the MCU is the hero as the franchise. What's kept people coming back is Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, etc. Nobody who isn't a comics nerd gave two bits about Thanos and his Infinity Stones quest until Infinity War. Up until then, the Infinity Stones were just a power source or a McGuffin.

What made Guardians of the Galaxy a success wasn't because casual fans wanted to know how this all ties into Thanos's quest for more rubies but because of clever marketing, strong word of mouth, and the reputation of Marvel Studios to make really entertaining comic book movies. GOTG was a fun charming movie with memorable characters. Ronan trying to get  the Power Stone was just a story, but we all left the theater fans of this misfit group of a-holes and everybody saying "I am Groot."

The Infinity Saga meant nothing without Marvel creating these great characters played by actors that the world has fallen in love with. If Marvel does the same thing with Eternals and Shang Chi and Jane Foster's Mighty Thor, then they'll be a success, too.

A few choice legacy characters have some draw, sure, but The Dark World is considered 'not good' despite having Hemsworth's Thor as the title character.

The bolded is also completely incorrect. Beginning with The Avengers 1st credit scene, everyone cared.

Everything else you've posted is just bologna.