• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

If it achieves that level of success as a production, I'd take it. I really like the first Thor film more than the other two.

emotion01.gif.5d87de4150813ba6e199595950854295.gif

Most word-of-mouth seems to be "meh". I just don't understand how anyone can expect a different reaction to an even-lesser known group of space aliens/'gods'.

This is one of my favourite Kirby titles, and what made it different was that all three sub-species; Human, Eternal, Deviant, were earthborn.

Even to me, 'reimagining' them as alien in origin makes them too similar to the Asgardians, particularly the influential crossovers with world mythology and demonology.  For the many cinema goers unfamiliar with the backstory, for the non-comic readers, that's much less acceptable a flaw.

I prefer the much colder, clinical idea that we were nothing more than a triaged alien experiment carried out here on an indigenous anthropoid species, which might soon be judged to have failed.  Also, there's the tragic hypocrisy of the Deviants, claiming to be comfortable with their genetic instability while attempting to control it by exterminating the unluckiest, most deformed members of their society: something again better examined Kirby's way. IMO.

For me, one of The King's darkest and most powerful creations, and, at this stage, I suspect the film isn't going to measure up to that standard.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

This is one of my favourite Kirby titles, and what made it different was that all three sub-species; Human, Eternal, Deviant, were earthborn.

Even to me, 'reimagining' them as alien in origin makes them too similar to the Asgardians, particularly the influential crossovers with world mythology and demonology.  For the many cinema goers unfamiliar with the backstory, for the non-comic readers, that's much less acceptable a flaw.

I prefer the much colder, clinical idea that we were nothing more than a triaged alien experiment carried out here on an indigenous anthropoid species, which might soon be judged to have failed.  Also, there's the tragic hypocrisy of the Deviants, claiming to be comfortable with their genetic instability while attempting to control it by exterminating the unluckiest, most deformed members of their society: something again better examined Kirby's way. IMO.

For me, one of The King's darkest and most powerful creations, and, at this stage, I suspect the film isn't going to measure up to that standard.

I have a wait and see approach to this movie but where Kirby is concerned, it could end up being a great movie but still not near his standard. Great post by the way.

56 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Am I the only one hating the idea of prequels and retconning everything?

I want to see what's going on in the MCU now (and the future). I really have no interest in anything that happened before 2023 anymore.

I would be interested in how Knowhere came about.  It's the severed head of a Celestial avatar... so... how did that happen? hm

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I would be interested in how Knowhere came about.  It's the severed head of a Celestial avatar... so... how did that happen? hm

That's exactly one of the key questions more than a few fans want to know about and see on the screen.

1 hour ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Am I the only one hating the idea of prequels and retconning everything?

I want to see what's going on in the MCU now (and the future). I really have no interest in anything that happened before 2023 anymore.

Look at it this way. Does every good movie that comes out take place in the present or the future? We can all enjoy a movie that takes place in the past as long as it's a well told story. There have been good Westerns. There have been good war movies ie Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan. There have been good historical epics ie Lord of the Rings. Highlander is arguably an effective sci-fi movie that takes place throughout history while also taking place in the present. Maybe that would help your anticipation level if you think of it like that.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Look at it this way. Does every good movie that comes out take place in the present or the future? We can all enjoy a movie that takes place in the past as long as it's a well told story. There have been good Westerns. There have been good war movies ie Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan. There have been good historical epics ie Lord of the Rings. Highlander is arguably an effective sci-fi movie that takes place throughout history while also taking place in the present. Maybe that would help your anticipation level if you think of it like that.

I don't see how any of this is relevant to the MCU, though.

I don't care about the happenings of the past in this franchise, story-wise.

9 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

I don't see how any of this is relevant to the MCU, though.

I don't care about the happenings of the past in this franchise, story-wise.

Well as long as it's a good story, the movie will be enjoyable. As for anticipation, the MCU seems to do well whether people want a movie or not. Nobody asked for Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man, yet Marvel Studios made good movies so we all fell in love with those franchises (within a franchise) anyway. As for movies taking place in the past, a few MCU movies already have taken place in the past ie Captain America and Captain Marvel. While each of those movies had their own stories, there was also enough stuff in there to set up for future movies ie the Tesseract, the Red Skull, Kree and Skrull races, etc. Especially post-Endgame where our heroes traveled to the past, history is now an appropriately minable source for future MCU movies.