• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well as long as it's a good story, the movie will be enjoyable. As for anticipation, the MCU seems to do well whether people want a movie or not. Nobody asked for Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man, yet Marvel Studios made good movies so we all fell in love with those franchises (within a franchise) anyway. As for movies taking place in the past, a few MCU movies already have taken place in the past ie Captain America and Captain Marvel. While each of those movies had their own stories, there was also enough stuff in there to set up for future movies ie the Tesseract, the Red Skull, Kree and Skrull races, etc. Especially post-Endgame where our heroes traveled to the past, history is now an appropriately minable source for future MCU movies.

That's not always the case.

And I definitely wanted to see an Ant-Man movie.

Captain America was Phase 1. Captain Marvel wasn't good.

3 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

That's not always the case.

And I definitely wanted to see an Ant-Man movie.

Captain America was Phase 1. Captain Marvel wasn't good.

And I count Captain Marvel amongst my favorite MCU movies, but we all have different likes and viewpoints, don't we?

In the last few MCU movies in particular, the past has been an important element for each movie. In Ant-Man, Hank Pym's flashback scenes play in to the movie's sequel as well as opening up the solution to beating Thanos in Endgame, the Quantum Realm. In Black Panther, the sins of T'Chaka's past as seen in the movie's opening play in to the entire plot of the movie. In Ragnarok, the skeletons of Odin's past come back in the form of Hela. 

Slowly and surely, the MCU has been using the past to open up the future. Eternals will introduce not only new characters, but the future of the MCU, as stated by Kevin Feige. It will also not take place in one time. Though I do think there will be scenes that take place in the present, perhaps at the beginning or the end, the movie as a whole will span a millennia. This is a storytelling technique (a story that uses a trace through history as its backdrop) that was used effectively in movies like Highlander, the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Forrest Gump, Big Fish, etc.

The MCU keeps giving us different looks and that's one important way its movies will continue to stay relevant.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

7 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Am I the only one hating the idea of prequels and retconning everything?

I want to see what's going on in the MCU now (and the future). I really have no interest in anything that happened before 2023 anymore.

Normally I would agree with you (like Star Trek for example) but in this case I think The Eternals is more about setting up the future of the MCU.  A backstory movie to set a foundation so we will understand the movies that will be set in the present and future.  I think this is the logic of the movie so I am excite for it.  The Eternals will be filled with Easter Eggs I am willing to bet too!!!

Edited by Xenosmilus

16 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And I count Captain Marvel amongst my favorite MCU movies, but we all have different likes and viewpoints, don't we?

In the last few MCU movies in particular, the past has been an important element for each movie. In Ant-Man, Hank Pym's flashback scenes play in to the movie's sequel as well as opening up the solution to beating Thanos in Endgame, the Quantum Realm. In Black Panther, the sins of T'Chaka's past as seen in the movie's opening play in to the entire plot of the movie. In Ragnarok, the skeletons of Odin's past come back in the form of Hela. 

Slowly and surely, the MCU has been using the past to open up the future. Eternals will introduce not only new characters, but the future of the MCU, as stated by Kevin Feige. It will also not take place in one time. Though I do think there will be scenes that take place in the present, perhaps at the beginning or the end, the movie as a whole will span a millennia. This is a storytelling technique (a story that uses a trace through history as its backdrop) that was used effectively in movies like Highlander, the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Forrest Gump, Big Fish, etc.

The MCU keeps giving us different looks and that's one important way its movies will continue to stay relevant.

So, you admit that you're incorrect then, regarding Ant-Man? He's was an original Avenger. It seems like you simply don't know the history of Marvel Comics. That's probably why you like Danvers. Didn't seem to please people who actually like comics and characters who have redemption/hero stories.

You seem to misunderstand the difference between flashbacks and prequels. History defines everything. Swimming in circles doesn't get you to the end of the line. You keep referencing other movies like it has anything to do with the MCU. Can you stay on topic and make sense plz?

11 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Normally I would agree with you (like Star Trek for example) but in this case I think The Eternals is more about setting up the future of the MCU.  A backstory movie to set a foundation so we will understand the movies that will be set in the present and future.  I think this is the logic of the movie so I am excite for it.  The Eternals will be filled with Easter Eggs I am willing to bet too!!!

Why didn't it impact the MCU before 2023, then? Prequels and retconning typically ruins stuff. Like Solo. It made a bunch of stupid stuff up that didn't add to the mythos of Han. In fact, it made Star Wars worse for me.

1 hour ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

So, you admit that you're incorrect then, regarding Ant-Man? He's was an original Avenger. It seems like you simply don't know the history of Marvel Comics. That's probably why you like Danvers. Didn't seem to please people who actually like comics and characters who have redemption/hero stories.

Besides you and maybe ten other people, the rest of the world didn’t care if an Ant-Man movie came out or not. Wasp was also an original member and the world wasn’t clamoring for her close-up, either.

Not every superhero story has to be about a hero finding redemption. Sure, a lot of Stan Lee’s early origin stories  were about a-holes who became heroes  like Iron Man or Spider-Man or Thor or Dr Strange. But the Fantastic Four had no such redemption element. Neither did Hulk, really. Black Panther was about revenge. Carol Danvers, with her character beginnings all over the place since she wasn’t originally conceived as a superhero, is an interesting case and I imagine was a task to turn into an origin movie since there wasn’t really a well laid out comic book version to simply adapt. The filmmakers of Captain Marvel improved upon that comic book version and made a brilliant choice, take Carol’s messy comic book origin and turn it into a story about a woman with amnesia who must find herself, which is actually what 1978 Ms Marvel #1 did to explain the 10 year story gap since 1969.

You don’t like Captain Marvel. That’s cool. I feel bad for you then (not really), because especially with Spidey going back to Sony, Ms. Danvers is only about to be the face of the MCU going forward. 

Notice how she’s in almost all Marvel advertising lately?

59F32BC7-BE4A-4EDA-B57F-B3112281CE34.thumb.jpeg.558a30efa1eda2ccc0635d3b45642e66.jpeg

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Besides you and maybe ten other people, the rest of the world didn’t care if an Ant-Man movie came out or not. Wasp was also an original member and the world wasn’t clamoring for her close-up, either.

Not every superhero story has to be about a hero finding redemption. Sure, a lot of Stan Lee’s early origin stories  were about a-holes who became heroes  like Iron Man or Spider-Man or Thor or Dr Strange. But the Fantastic Four had no such redemption element. Neither did Hulk, really. Black Panther was about revenge. Carol Danvers, with her character beginnings all over the place since she wasn’t originally conceived as a superhero, is an interesting case and I imagine was a task to turn into an origin movie since there wasn’t really a well laid out comic book version to simply adapt. The filmmakers of Captain Marvel improved upon that comic book version and made a brilliant choice, take Carol’s messy comic book origin and turn it into a story about a woman with amnesia who must find herself, which is actually what 1978 Ms Marvel #1 did to explain the 10 year story gap since 1969.

You don’t like Captain Marvel. That’s cool. I feel bad for you then (not really), because especially with Spidey going back to Sony, Ms. Danvers is only about to be the face of the MCU going forward. 

Notice how she’s in almost all Marvel advertising lately?

It's evident that you don't know anything about Marvel Comics or real Marvel fans. I would suggest seeking discussion about a topic that you actually understand.

2 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

It's evident that you don't know anything about Marvel Comics or real Marvel fans. I would suggest seeking discussion about a topic that you actually understand.

That’s it? Going with the ol’ “ you’re an insufficiently_thoughtful_person” retort? Okay then...

I read some article recently thinking The Eternals are gods and therefore these will be the makers of everything Marvel. Isn't the Marvel pecking order something like:

1. Celestials
2. One-Above-All (Jack Kirby?)
3. The Living Tribunal
4. The Gods (I get confused sometimes if it is the Asgardians or Olympians as more powerful)
5. Eternals

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I read some article recently thinking The Eternals are gods and therefore these will be the makers of everything Marvel. Isn't the Marvel pecking order something like:

1. Celestials
2. One-Above-All (Jack Kirby?)
3. The Living Tribunal
4. The Gods (I get confused sometimes if it is the Asgardians or Olympians as more powerful)
5. Eternals

1. The One Above All
2. The Living Tribunal
3. Eternity/Infinity
4. Galactus
5. Celestials
6. Eternals
7. Gods

When it comes to Olympians vs Asgardians, I think the Olympians are overall more powerful, but Odin himself trumps all Olympians.

23 hours ago, valiantman said:

I would be interested in how Knowhere came about.  It's the severed head of a Celestial avatar... so... how did that happen? hm

Galactus. :wishluck:

I would love to see a Galactus vs Celestials battle at some point in the Phase 4 flashbacks. 

Edited by kimik

3 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

1. The One Above All
2. The Living Tribunal
3. Eternity/Infinity
4. Galactus
5. Celestials
6. Eternals
7. Gods

When it comes to Olympians vs Asgardians, I think the Olympians are overall more powerful, but Odin himself trumps all Olympians.

Bump Thanos with Infinity Gauntlet to #2 with an asterisk 

2 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Anyone who can successfully wield it - very likely #8 worst case scenario unless I’m gravely overlooking someone ... Ego maybe ?

I wouldn't consider Ego more powerful than Thanos.

There are SO many powerful characters in Marvel Comics. Ego is a dam Elder who's a planet tho. Could be Top 10.