• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

Many comic collectors are a funny ironic bunch (including me at times lol).  This particular key (ST110) not so long ago (feels like just last week) sat on eBay and similar sites in all grades and languished.  Some collector-sellers felt like they couldn't even discount the book enough to give it away :baiting:.  Now there is a ripple in the shallow pond so to speak.. the silent siren call of "buy me buy me!"...  and like moths driven to the invisible flame, almost everyone seemingly needs & wants this key when only yesterday they did not.  We are all like dogs chasing our tails in this hobby.  The lack of foresight for many collectors is sometimes only limited by a lack of seeing past our collective hands in front of our faces.  What drives up prices these days is often simply speculators and their rumor-mongering but shhhh! don't ever admit that.  My 2 cents :preach:

In any "age" there are always waves, the first gold rush where there are many players, then the crowning of a few kings where everything converges to a few places, and the third wave where the market is stable enough to accommodate several small players who serve particular niches. — Anonymous

Edited by Roger66

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

ST110 isn’t just the first doctor strange...it’s got a whole gang of first appearances. I suspect Nightmare spec is what’s moving the needle now...

And yet none of them made the cover :sorry:

I may pull the cord on a decently priced SS3, I don't want to be priced out of market on this one that I've been wanting/needing for many years to complete the original run.

If it explodes I'll kick myself for not getting one that I've been wanting for years, if it settles down, I'll be fine overpaying a little for the time being. I figure it will, like most SA keys, continue to rise. 

Thoughts?

Edited by jcjames

I have been looking at three books for my collection lately (not SS #3, but jcjames you should go for it while you can? (: -- see below), including FF 48, ST 110, and Avengers 1.  When considering where to spend my money, I have been resisting the 'hot books' like X-Men #1 and FF #48 for months now.  But then I asked my best 'comic friend' which one to go after, and he said FF 48 "all day every day, without question, easy call."  So I picked up an FF 48 despite the fact that it's super common in grade and only 10% below the last (skyrocketing) GPA sale.  He'd better be right!

Will these books continue to go up and up?  I don't know.  But the market is crazy hot and weird right now, so somewhere along the way you have to pick the horse you'll put your money on...

Dan

I made a few mistakes buying certain keys out of my want-list order due to FOMO, so I dunno.  Thankfully, it was a short-lived problem that didn't screw up my plans too much.  :) 

Getting either of those two books (SS3 and FF48) sooner rather than later sounds sensible if you don't have them.  But if you are on the fence for either book and have other books on your wantlist, just be sure to put them in perspective.  For example, a Spidey fan perhaps should prioritize a high-grade early Spidey villain intro book (like ASM2, 3, 9, 13, 14, or even 50) before grabbing a SS3.     

Again assuming a Spidey fan, the inquiry is different with FF48, because it's Silver Surfer's (a superhero's) 1st app, and folks generally prefer prioritizing a hero 1st app over a villain's 1st app.  The decision might not be so simple, however, because early Spidey villains, like Doctor Doom for FF4, have always enjoyed a special status.  Would this hypothetical Spidey fan, with limited funds, regret having obtained a FF48 before an ASM14?  Maybe.  Maybe not.   .    .         

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

I made a few mistakes buying certain keys out of my want-list order due to FOMO, so I dunno.  Thankfully, it was a short-lived problem that didn't screw up my plans too much.  :) 

Getting either of those two books (SS3 and FF48) sooner rather than later sounds sensible if you don't have them.  But if you are on the fence for either book and have other books on your wantlist, just be sure to put them in perspective.  For example, a Spidey fan perhaps should prioritize a high-grade early Spidey villain intro book (like ASM2, 3, 9, 13, 14, or even 50) before grabbing a SS3.     

Again assuming a Spidey fan, the inquiry is different with FF48, because it's Silver Surfer's (a superhero's) 1st app, and folks generally prefer prioritizing a hero 1st app over a villain's 1st app.  The decision might not be so simple, however, because early Spidey villains, like Doctor Doom for FF4, have always enjoyed a special status.  Would this hypothetical Spidey fan, with limited funds, regret having obtained a FF48 before an ASM14?  Maybe.  Maybe not.   .    .         

Thanks, understandable.

(Check my avatar, I lean more towards SS) :D

I have my FF48 so I'm good there too.

My other "wish list" topper is IH181, I may get that soon too (I know that one's been on fire a while now). The rest, I'll be patient with no pressing want or need to get ASMs or other FFs for the moment.

I dig Silver Surfer too, a lot actually.  I was just providing a word of caution for anyone who might succumb to FOMO with respect to a spiking book that is not on their want list.  Not an issue for deep pockets.  But for most folks, the best approach is to have a want list (and stick to it) in case FOMO strikes.  Might not be so bad if you get FOMO with respect to a want-list book, be it SS3, FF48, or anything else!  At least you make progress that way.  But if the FOMO book is expensive and NOT on the want list, that could be a recipe for regret down the road for someone with limited means, like if he/she is forced to pass up on a good opportunity for a want-list book.  I was not suggesting any particular title/book was more worthy than another.  More like a "know thyself" bit of advice.     

Edited by Pantodude