• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

The cover is a huge turn off.

Strange has already peaked in the Avengers. 

On ebay there is a huge amount of offerings across grades - all sitting unsold.

so ...

That’s kinda the point...

Plus I wouldn’t be surprised if 75% of those offerings are 25-50% above GPA.

Time will tell...

On 3/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, CycleGirl said:

I'm so glad that I picked up an Avengers #1 about two years ago. I really had no idea that it was about to go on a run up. I just thought it was a good key to own and it wasn't crazy-expensive like so many others.

Just about all the Marvel Silver Age keys are a good investment. There will be cycles just like the stock market but over the long term they all will be worth more in 5-10 years than they are now,especially the lower and mid-grade keys as the ultra high grade keys get too expensive.

There is gold in those Marvel Silver Age keys.

lol.

Hmmm....this may be outside the box, and I may get pummeled, but a book like Namor The Sub-Mariner #1 seems to have a lot of room.  Not a first appearance, not a 'mega' key, and it's not in line $ wise with the keys being mentioned, but just for sheer growth potential, could it be considered?

17 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Hmmm....this may be outside the box, and I may get pummeled, but a book like Namor The Sub-Mariner #1 seems to have a lot of room.  Not a first appearance, not a 'mega' key, and it's not in line $ wise with the keys being mentioned, but just for sheer growth potential, could it be considered?

If we’re venturing outside the “mega” category, which is subjective...I think FF4 is the biggest sleeper of them all. Sub 1 will follow a similar path, just at a lower price point.

Alright, that’s it for me...putting my crystal ball up for the day.

16 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

If we’re venturing outside the “mega” category, which is subjective...I think FF4 is the biggest sleeper of them all.

I don’t expect anyone to agree with me, but I consider Fantastic Four #4 to be one of Marvel’s Top 14 key books.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I don’t expect anyone to agree with me, but I consider Fantastic Four #4 to be one of Marvel’s Top 14 key books.

Could turn into a Avengers #4 run like a few years ago if the stars align right?

hm

I think it is also rarer than Avengers #4?

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

People have been spec'ing on the submariner for an awfully long time now already.   

With the MCU going cosmic now, I'm not sure where he would fit in to cause a major surge in his books, even if Disney did get the rights back.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Could turn into a Avengers #4 run like a few years ago if the stars align right?

hm

I think it is also rarer than Avengers #4?

By a good chunk, I believe.

And good point, J 🐶. I don’t expect huge Subby movie love. My having FF 4 on the key list refers to his silver age significance only.

9 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

By a good chunk, I believe.

And good point, J 🐶. I don’t expect huge Subby movie love. My having FF 4 on the key list refers to his silver age significance only.

Everyone knows the director cryptically announced Namor earlier this week right?

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

If we’re venturing outside the “mega” category, which is subjective...I think FF4 is the biggest sleeper of them all. Sub 1 will follow a similar path, just at a lower price point.

We saw a bump in Iron Man #1 over the years, especially when the movies hit, (which was not his first appearance), but  considered a SA key.  Just thinking maybe Sub-Mariner would be considered the same way, if he gets his due.   It seems Sub-Mariner #1 has a lot of room for growth.   He's never been a major selling character, less well known than Aquaman, still at reasonable prices.  That's all I am thinking. 

Edited by Mercury Man

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

People have been spec'ing on the submariner for an awfully long time now already.   

With the MCU going cosmic now, I'm not sure where he would fit in to cause a major surge in his books, even if Disney did get the rights back.  

-J.

His character fits perfectly as a polar opposite to black panther. The parallels between Atlantis and Wakanda on opposite sides of the spectrum makes him a perfect fit.

Not to mention the current political connections of multiculturalism and nationalism.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

11 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

Everyone knows the director cryptically announced Namor earlier this week right?

Disney doesn't have the rights.  

There may be some funky shared rights thing with Universal, but either way to say that Feige is going to do some kind of "Wakanda vs Atlantis" thing, right after Aquaman basically doing the same thing already, and write a check to Universal for doing so, takes the term "wishful thinking" to a whole new level.

-J.

55 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

His character fits perfectly as a polar opposite to black panther. The parallels between Atlantis and Wakanda on opposite sides of the spectrum makes him a perfect fit.

Not to mention the current political connections of multiculturalism and nationalism.

In case y’all missed it in the movie threads...DS director recently tweeted this pic with the caption “Are you experienced?” and then deleted it...

824D014D-8CC4-4595-B90E-32BB4747AB90.jpeg.e0b890f86182ff460e6cd8195b185b6a.jpeg

Edited by Callaway29

23 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Disney doesn't have the rights.  

There may be some funky shared rights thing with Universal, but either way to say that Feige is going to do some kind of "Wakanda vs Atlantis" thing, right after Aquaman basically doing the same thing already, and write a check to Universal for doing so, takes the term "wishful thinking" to a whole new level.

-J.

Holy run on!

Marvel never sold merchandising rights to characters only movie rights. The amount of money they would have to pay to utilize a character in a movie they don't own is pocket change compared to the money they make selling t-shirts and toys. If you think Marvel is afraid of copying DC, where have you been for the last 60 years?

Edited by MadJimJaspers

Just now, MadJimJaspers said:

Marvel never sold merchandising rights to characters on movie rights. The amount of money they would have to pay to utilize a character in a movie they don't own is pocket change compared to the money they make selling t-shirts and toys. 

So you think that after spending 80 some odd billion to buy back the rights to all the other X and FF heroes and villains, they will go out of their way to use a(n) obscure character they don't even own? (shrug)

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

So you think that after spending 80 some odd billion to buy back the rights to all the other X and FF heroes and villains, they will go out of their way to use a(n) obscure character they don't even own? (shrug)

-J.

How do you know they don't own him already? Namor is the first mutant...

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

That has been widely reported for years.  

-J.

No it hasn't. Companies would never publicly disclose contract terms and limits. 

Edited by MadJimJaspers

5 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

No it hasn't. Companies would never publicly disclose contract terms and limits. 

Yes, it has.

They do not own the rights.

But believe whatever you want, I have nothing else to say on the matter.  

-J.

visual-guide-to-marvel-live-action-character-rights-by-the-geek-29639446.png

Edited by Jaydogrules

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes, it has.

They do not own the rights.

But believe whatever you want, I have nothing else to say on the matter.  

-J.

Ahhh, The Geek Twin.

Credible, or maybe as you say "wishful thinking"? Anyone can speculate. What's most frustrating is the kind of people who draw certainty from a graph posted on twitter.

There hasn't been any official statement from either companies on the matter since Kevin Feige himself stated that "it was complicated". That was last year.

Edited by MadJimJaspers