• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

Amen! So there will be 9 episodes in a season for WHAT IF.

Brad Winderbaum, the executive producer behind Disney+'s upcoming animated series Marvel's What If...? has revealed that both seasons 1 and 2 of the show will consist of nine episodes each. What If...? is the Marvel Cinematic Universe's first venture into animation since the franchise first launched in 2008 with Iron Man. While animated series based off of Marvel Comics' various heroes have aired in the interim, none have been canon to the MCU continuity like What If...? will be.

The series will mark the second entry in the MCU to fully embrace and explore the multiverse, the first being the recently concluded Disney+ series, Loki. In Loki, it was revealed that the multiverse had hitherto been kept under lock and key by a mysterious and omniscient figure known simply as He Who Remains (Jonathan Majors). The actions taken by Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Sylvie (Sophia di Martino) during the climactic season finale finally opened up the multiverse for all to access, including the looming threat of the fan-favorite villain, Kang the Conquerer. Promotional materials for What If...? have begun to pick up momentum in the wake of Loki's finale, with the show's executive producer now confirming the number of episodes in the series' first two seasons.

To hear the Watcher tell it, Marvel’s What If…? is “a prism of endless possibility” — an anything-goes sandbox where the wildest hypotheticals can be realized, freed from the obligation to fit into the established Marvel Cinematic Universe canon.

The animated Disney+ series devotes each of its episodes to a different alternate-universe scenario, ranging from the straightforward (the first episode answers the question “What if Peggy Carter became the first super-soldier?”) to the zany (“What if zombies?” seems to be the core concern of an upcoming episode). In theory, this is thrilling. It’s an opportunity for Marvel fans to revisit and reconsider the stories they already hold dear — to see a favorite character in a radically different context, or to ruminate on themes only lightly glanced over by the movies, or simply to enjoy the satisfaction of seeing a lingering possibility to a logical end.

Dare to hope for more than superficial amusement, though, and What If…? tends to disappoint. Sure, it’s nice to see Peggy get the superhero treatment — but what’s fundamentally different about a universe with a Captain Carter instead of a Captain America? Why show us a world with a different roster of original Avengers if we’re not going to stay in it long enough to see what impact it had on the rest of the timeline? It’s possible future episodes will do a better job of balancing big concepts with a half-hour run time, or that the season is building to some grander design. If that’s the case, What If…? is taking its sweet time showing what it can do.

As it stands, what stands out is not the series’ ambitions or its potential, but its limitations. What If…? promises to be a space for the kinds of weird or challenging or just-plain-silly ideas the live-action properties will never touch — but then, presented with these playful hypotheticals, it can hardly muster enough curiosity to wonder what happens next. Moment to moment, it’s occasionally successful as fan service for diehards. (Again, I maintain that Peggy deserved to be a top-tier Avenger all along.) But for a series set in the infinite vastness of a multiverse, What If…? is dreaming awfully small.

The best MCU show on Disney Plus [so far] isn’t WandaVision. It isn’t Loki. And it isn’t The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. It’s What If…?. Marvel’s upcoming animated show knocks it out of the park and although I’ve only seen the first three episodes, I’m confident in saying that this show will only get better. As someone who isn’t always excited for an animated show, I genuinely look forward to seeing the rest of What If…?

The Multiverse Is In Good Hands
What If…? stars Jeffrey Wright as the narrator and The Watcher of this show about different timelines and “what if?” scenarios. If you’ve watched the Loki show, you know that the timeline has branched off to a bunch of different multiverses and now we get to actually see what those multiverses contain. The Watcher explains that while we know what’s happened on the main MCU timeline, there’s different worlds where events did not go the way we’re used to seeing.

The Stories Are A+
In What If…? we get to see a world where Steve Rogers didn’t get the super-soldier serum – instead, it’s Peggy who gets the abilities that we saw Chris Evans have in the MCU. We get to see T’Challa as Star-Lord and a world where the Avengers never formed. And the thing is, none of these stories seem too far-fetched. They’re not only entertaining, but completely believable. While some aspects may seem a little jarring because it’s the opposite of what we’re used to, you immediately geek out at this “what if?” scenario.

Rating: 5/5

:whee:

Nevermind, it's in the credits.  All of the film actors did their voices except Steve Rogers and Red Skull.  The Rogers voice sounded different in several scenes, but wow, I thought the whole time that was Hugo Weaving doing Skull, the voice was PERFECT.  That one was done by one of the Walking Dead actors Ross Marquand shown below playing Aaron from that series.  I didn't realize until I looked at his IMDB credits that he's also who did the Skull's voice in Infinity War and Endgame...he nailed Weaving's voice there, too, had no idea it wasn't him until now.

aaron-ready-to-fight-the-walking-dead-s1

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/11/2021 at 3:45 AM, fantastic_four said:

Nevermind, it's in the credits.  All of the film actors did their voices except Steve Rogers and Red Skull.  The Rogers voice sounded different in several scenes, but wow, I thought the whole time that was Hugo Weaving doing Skull, the voice was PERFECT.  That one was done by one of the Walking Dead actors Ross Marquand shown below playing Aaron from that series.  I didn't realize until I looked at his IMDB credits that he's also who did the Skull's voice in Infinity War and Endgame...he nailed Weaving's voice there, too, had no idea it wasn't him until now.

aaron-ready-to-fight-the-walking-dead-s1

It was posted a few times who voiced Red Skull back then because he did such an amazing job. So great to hear they kept him on.

Watching it now. Very sharp art. Comes across as Spider-Verse movie influenced.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:01 AM, Bosco685 said:

Hey now. That was fun!

I would like to see that story explored further.

3.5/5 overall and a solid way to kick off what should be an incredible series.

Watching tonight! What was the run time on it? I thought I heard they were kind of short.