• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

"Feige offered new information on “What If…?,” the first animated series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. “What If…?” is being created exclusively for Disney+ and features stories that present alternate realities in the Marvel universe. 

"Feige mentioned that many actors from across the Marvel Cinematic Universe will reprise their roles as voice talent in the series. He then surprised the audience by bringing Jeffrey Wright to the stage and introducing him as the voice of the popular character The Watcher in the new series."

This is the series I'm looking forward to the most, by far.  Have they said if it's open-ended, or will be a set number of episodes, or will be multiple seasons, anything at all about the duration?

When is Marvel’s What If…? TV series released on Disney+?

Ever wondered what would have happened to Wakanda if Killmonger had defeated T’Challa? Or if Thanos’ finger snap had wiped out a completely different set of Avengers? Or what about if Marvel made an animated TV series with an all-star voice cast that could take up those questions and more? Fortunately, we know the answer to that last question is a resounding yes, thanks to the unveiling of What If?, a Disney+ series set to inject some hypothetical chaosinto the MCU.

When is Marvel’s What If…? series on TV?

The series is currently slated for a Summer 2021 release. Hopefully, the streaming service will be available in the UK by then…

What is Marvel’s What If…? 

Like the comic books of the same name, the animated show will delve into the MCU’s flagship moments and ask what would happen if they transpired another way. It won’t be canon, but it will hopefully be a lot of fun. The anthology show could ask what would have happened if Peggy Carter became Captain America or how the world would have looked if Howard Stark made an Iron Man suit for Steve Rogers. The possibilities are endless.

The comic book series – launched in 1977 – also pondered on alternate timelines where Spider-Man joined the Fantastic Four and Hulk had the brain of Bruce Banner (something that later became reality in the comics and the MCU: see Endgame).

On July 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

If this series is just a cartoon rehash of various possibilities for the movies of the last ten years, that's a lot less interesting than testing various other possibilities via What If adaptations (eg - Agents of atlas, DD of SHIELD, etc) Not that Infinity War variations couldn't be interesting, but too many will quickly start to feel like a bad Kang story.

Following D23, Andrew J Salazar sat down and talked with Ashley Bradley, the showrunner for the upcoming ‘What If…?’ series that will release in summer 2021. Ashley discusses her work on the recent ‘Trollhunters’ series as well as how she first joined the ‘What If…?’ series. She also discusses Captain Carter, Jane Foster Thor, T’Challa Star-Lord and what The Watcher brings to the series.

DF: To start things off, I was actually at D23 a few weeks ago and attended the Disney Plus panel. Can you talk about how it felt coming up on stage to what must have been thousands of people and receiving a very positive response to the first footage ever revealed from What If…?

Ashley: Coming on stage at D23 was a bit of a surprise. I knew I was going to D23 about a few months earlier because we were working on the trailer and then I was told, “You’ll probably end up going on stage for a moment”. I was like, okay, cool. Then I found out on Wednesday afternoon that I would actually be talking on stage and I thought, “Oh well this is going to be interesting”. I think it was only 10 minutes before we got on stage that I found out that we would be the first ones up. Kevin (Feige) came over to me in the green room. He goes, “We’re going to do this whole thing: we’re going to say thank you 3000, then you come on and talk about the cast, and then Bryan and you introduce the reel.” I pretty much turned to my executive producer, Brad Winderbaum, and asked, “Is there alcohol back here?” He laughed and said, “I wish”. It was a little nerve-wracking because it was 6,000 people, but it was also one of the most the receptive and warm audiences. So you can’t really knock it.

DF: Yeah because even though it is 6,000 people, every single one of them are fans. They actually want to see you and hear what you have to say. It was a great crowd. The response sitting in the audience was really exciting because no one had any expectations and they were completely floored.

Ashley: It was kind of nerve-wracking because for the first minute you couldn’t hear anything. Unless you’re in the audience, you can’t actually hear it until after a certain decimal. So we were like, “Oh, we don’t know if this is going well”. Then there was a lovely cheer with the revelation of Captain Carter and we were like, “Okay okay, we might actually have something here”.

DF: Talking about animation now, how did What If…? come into the mix? How did you get involved and was it the first you heard of it?

Ashley: I had known some of the producers at Marvel for almost 10 years now. I met Nate Moore who’s the producer on the Captain America movies and Black Panther about eight years ago. He’s a great guy- incredibly smart. Years and years ago we used to talk about when we were going to see T’Challa and when we were going to see Black Widow movies- when are we going to see these other characters? This is in the early days of Marvel and now Marvel is in a different place. Moore produced Black Panther and so he called me out a few years ago to meet for another project and I did, but at the time I was in the world of 3Below and trying to pull that show together. So it was always like they called me up to come in, but I was usually working on something else.

DF: As the show-runner of What If, did you consult or collaborate with any other Marvel directors or writers? James Gunn, for example, is a correspondent for the Guardians of the Galaxy for other movies he doesn’t write or direct. Did you experience something similar?

Ashley: I would say Marvel is a very creative and collaborative environment. They jokingly call people members of the family. So that’s been really kind of refreshing. There’s not a competition to make the best movie or the best show. It’s more like we’re all in it together. They are also very producer-driven, which is different in some aspects to the way other studios work. On the plus side, the producers are great. I work with Brad Winderbaum who’s been with Marvel since the first Iron Man. He knows the world inside and out. So the first couple of weeks it was me, the series director Bryan Andrews who’s been a board artist at Marvel since Iron Man, and my story editor Matthew Chauncey who had been on 3Below with me and who had previously, because the world is very small, been the producing assistant on Agent Carter. The funny thing was on 3Below, we would reference Marvel movies a lot. This is common language, there are things to reference such as Alias, Marvel, and Star Wars. This added slight anger for a couple of the other writers who are younger and had never seen them. Two writers who had never watched Alias or Buffy and didn’t really ever get into Star Wars were like, “What is our common language?”.

So when I joined What If…? I couldn’t write all the episodes by myself. So it was me, my story editor Matt Chauncey, Bryan Andrews, and Brad Winderbaum in a room for about three weeks. We also had help from our junior executive, Simona Paparelli and my -script coordinator, Ryan Little. It was just all of us tossing around ideas. We had pictures of all the characters up. We had a timeline of the movies. We spent three weeks coming up with 30, kind of like two-sentence ideas. We gave those to Kevin and he picked his favorites, which was like 25 of them. Then we made him be a little bit more selective and that’s how we found the first season. I had been lucky enough to cross paths with Marcus & McFeeley, the writers of everything, and who are probably two of the nicest guys I’ve ever met. They were so lovely and excited for the show and had been very sweet.

DF: Let’s talk about your inspirations for writing the show. Besides the MCU movies, did you have any other inspirations whether it was the What If comics or any other animated projects that you’ve seen in the past?

Ashley: We’re all big fans of the comics and we do use those to a degree. Our first weeks there I very strongly pitched doing The Mighty Thor- Jane Foster Thor. Jane wielding the hammer, I believe first happened in a What If comic. I was very poignantly told that was never going to happen. I got a little angry and thought, “Why, because they don’t want a woman holding the hammer?”. I was very politely told, “No we’re doing it”. I was like what? “We’re doing it in the movies. You can’t do it.” I was like, seriously? They responded with, “Please don’t tell anyone. We’re with you on it, it’s an amazing idea. Taika Waititi wants to write it”. At that point, you just go “Then Taika Waiti can write it”!

So we did use the comic books to draw from- which was a lot of fun. We also used passions of ours in other ways to change the story. We’ve all stood in a parking lot outside after one of the movies and talked about what if this had happened or that had happened. This is just us taking that and getting to do it on a bigger level. Getting to fulfill the audiences’ dreams. What we drew from was this collective consciousness of what we want to see. What would we do differently?

Bradley spoke with Discussing Film about the series, teasing an episode of What If...? where T'Challa end up as Star-Lord.

"On the reel [shown at D23], there is this image of a Star-Lord T'Challa because we wanted to see what if the worlds of Black Panther and the Guardians of the Galaxy collided," explained Bradley. "That was taking two universes, two to three movies, kind of twisting them in new ways."

She went on to say that fans received some epic moments in Avengers: Endgame that showed some of their favorite characters interacting for the first time, and What If...? will continue to follow down that path.

"With Star-Lord T'Challa obviously, we want to know how T'Challa ended up in other planets? What’s the story there? It’s super exciting to work on because again, it’s seeing these characters and seeing the combination of character interactions," Bradley added. "Seeing the Avengers hang out together and more recently Endgame gave us the fun of seeing something like Ant-Man hanging out with the Hulk. What If…? is taking it a step further."