• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE WITCHER (12/20/19)
4 4

249 posts in this topic

I've now read all the books - and they did well to do seasons 1 + 2 based literally on a chapter in a book, or in the case of Loddens Hill - vague references to it throughout the book series.

In the books Yennifers origin story is lightly mentioned in passing, as is her 'apprenticeship' into a witch.

Some episodes, as I say, were based on no more than a paragraph in a single book.

The Witcher Book series is not about Geralt - it's the story of Ciri - Geralt, Yennifer and Dandelion are not even footnotes for vast periods of the books - it's all mainly Ciri.

The books go to places that you could not imagine - if they try to do it justice - I'm not sure that without a huge budget,they can pull it off.

The next Season,if they are trying to adapt the books will be Ciri joining 'The Rats' - Actress Freya Allan (Ciri) is old enough to act the role - but it certainly doesn't go in a PG / MA 15+ direction.

Most definitely R rated - for a whole host of reasons.

Season 2 turned a lot of people off - they need to get season 3 spot on.

I hope they follow the books, but based on Season 2 - it seems not to be the case. 

Which is a shame.

Edited by Beige

On 10/23/2022 at 5:55 PM, Beige said:

I've now read all the books - and they did well to do seasons 1 + 2 based literally on a chapter in a book, or in the case of Loddens Hill - vague references to it throughout the book series.

In the books Yennifers origin story is lightly mentioned in passing, as is her 'apprenticeship' into a witch.

Some episodes, as I say, were based on no more than a paragraph in a single book.

The Witcher Book series is not about Geralt - it's the story of Ciri - Geralt, Yennifer and Dandelion are not even footnotes for vast periods of the books - it's all mainly Ciri.

The books go to places that you could not imagine - if they try to do it justice - I'm not sure that without a huge budget,they can pull it off.

The next Season,if they are trying to adapt the books will be Ciri joining 'The Rats' - Actress Freya Allan (Ciri) is old enough to act the role - but it certainly doesn't go in a PG / MA 15+ direction.

Most definitely R rated - for a whole host of reasons.

Season 2 turned a lot of people off - they need to get season 3 spot on.

I hope they follow the books, but based on Season 2 - it seems not to be the case. 

Which is a shame.

Wow! I had no idea certain people reacted to Season 2 like that. But I'm not tied up in the books or the games.

36386797_Screenshot_20221023-1822522.thumb.png.c470d574090ef8f84426575540f692f9.png

Unfortunately, unlike the movies you can't tell who actually subscribed to Netflix or who is rebelling against any deviation from the source material.

With movies, you can at least filter by verified ticket purchasers vs. general ratings.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

Odd how Season 1 had the opposite effect. And that even had more critic response - but to the negative.

108358540_Screenshot_20221023-1829042.thumb.png.b18fbb2bb2513821bd6b77034dd1930c.png

Thats quite simple.

Season 1 was based on book 1 which was a series of short vaguely interconnected tales of Geralt.

It was laying the foundations of his abilities and mindset. Plus Calanthe gets a mention (Ciri stortline)

It was faithful to the book (mostly) - so fans enjoyed it, but critics probably didn't understand that the 'short stories' introduced his abilities, plus characters that pop up in other arcs way down the track.

Season 1 was very loyal to the books to start with - but Yennifers origin and the final battle of Lodden Hill was hardly mentioned at all in the book series.

“The Witcher” will be returning for Season 4 on Netflix, though the hit fantasy series will be missing one familiar face. Henry Cavill will exit the series after the upcoming third season, with Liam Hemsworth set to take over the lead role of Geralt of Rivia.

The streamer announced the news on Saturday afternoon, with both Hemsworth and Cavill releasing statements regarding the shift in casting.

“My journey as Geralt of Rivia has been filled with both monsters and adventures, and alas, I will be laying down my medallion and my swords for Season 4,” Cavill said in a statement on Instagram. “In my stead, the fantastic Mr Liam Hemsworth will be taking up the mantle of the White Wolf. As with the greatest of literary characters, I pass the torch with reverence for the time spent embodying Geralt and enthusiasm to see Liam’s take on this most fascinating and nuanced of men. Liam, good sir, this character has such a wonderful depth to him, enjoy diving in and seeing what you can find.”

“As a Witcher fan I’m over the moon about the opportunity to play Geralt of Rivia. Henry Cavill has been an incredible Geralt, and I’m honoured that he’s handing me the reins and allowing me to take up the White Wolf’s blades for the next chapter of his adventure,” Hemsworth’s statement reads. “Henry, I’ve been a fan of yours for years and was inspired by what you brought to this beloved character. I may have some big boots to fill, but I’m truly excited to be stepping into The Witcher world.”

On 10/30/2022 at 6:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

Have doubts wether Season 4 will go ahead now if season 3 is a flop

On 10/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

Wow! I had no idea certain people reacted to Season 2 like that. But I'm not tied up in the books or the games.

Agreed. I did not read the books or play the games, so I liked Season 2 better than Season 1 as it seemed to have a better flow and spent more time on the Witchers.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:27 PM, Beige said:

Have doubts wether Season 4 will go ahead now if season 3 is a flop

In the end, all that matters is the amount of time Netflix subscribers spend on the franchise they are trying to build. I would not consider Season 2 a flop by that metric as it was still in the top 10 for most viewed/streamed shows within its first 28 days on Netflix. Whether the fans of the books/games have issues with it will not matter as long as it keeps its those hours viewed up. Right now Netflix is desperate for new franchises, especially with Stranger Things ending, so I expect them to give the Witcher some time.

"I've been on a show -- namely Witcher -- where some of the writers were not [fans] or actively disliked the books and games, even actively mocking the source material. It's a recipe for disaster and bad morale." 

That's from an interview about the upcoming X-Men '97 cartoon. Source is here: https://www.cbr.com/morph-no-plan-come-back-dead-x-men-animated-series/

Rewatching this show, and so enjoying it. Season One for me was a solid start, and up to Season Two Episode 2 so far and having a great time. I'll miss Cavill's Geralt.

"As in life, it is impossible always to be fully prepared for battle. Keep your sword close, and keep moving."