• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE WITCHER (12/20/19)
4 4

248 posts in this topic

I've watched the first three episodes so far.  I have never played a Witcher game, or read a Witcher book, I knew nothing about this show going into it.  Here are my thoughts.

The Witcher Storyline:  I like it so far, my only slight complaint is Cavill's voice seems forced to me, while not on par with Bale's Batman voice to me it is a bit distracting.

Yennifer (sp?):  Kind of a bore so far, I hope her storyline becomes a bit better.

The princess (no idea her name):  Dear god everytime she is on screen I want to fast forward, this storyline has been the absolute weakest to me and has not grabbed my attention at all.  I hope it either picks up or she dies soon.

24 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

The Witcher Storyline:  I like it so far, my only slight complaint is Cavill's voice seems forced to me, while not on par with Bale's Batman voice to me it is a bit distracting.

Supposedly the voice mirrors the famous game 

Here the voice actor for Geralt in the games.

The Witcher recap binge guide for every episode

Henry Cavill trades in his Superman cape and tights for a long white mane, weathered armor, and a giant broadsword in The Witcher, Netflix’s attempt at a Game of Thrones-style fantasy epic. Based on Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski’s book series (which has also spawned a trio of hit video games), the moody, violent, treachery-drenched series from Lauren Schmidt Hissrich revolves around Geralt of Rivia (Cavill), a famed monster hunter who becomes embroiled in a sprawling saga of magic, murder, and mystery. Does it deliver the swords-and-sorcery goods? Follow along with our binge-watch to get the grand, gory details.

I wouldn't read this until you have seen all 8 episodes. But it at least recaps all the events of every episode.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, piper said:

Is it any good?

i'm being negative nellie lately it seems, but wow i thought the first ep was really bad. cavill is so charismatic and gorgeous, but the other storyline is so awful, the characters so wooden, and both the writing and acting are all so amateurish. it's super game of thrones wanna be but without any of the great writing that made that show so special. i really wanted to get into this, but i cant even finish ep 1. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm being negative nellie lately it seems, but wow i thought the first ep was really bad. cavill is so charismatic and gorgeous, but the other storyline is so awful, the characters so wooden, and both the writing and acting are all so amateurish. it's super game of thrones wanna be but without any of the great writing that made that show so special. i really wanted to get into this, but i cant even finish ep 1. 

I gave up about halfway through episode 1 as well.  The acting was so wooden.  But my son (who is much more versed in the video games) came home from college and we're watching it together.  We're through episode 6 together and it's not as bad as I thought when I tried episode 1 alone, but it still isn't something I would continue if I weren't watching it with him .  Interesting that the three story lines are taking place at different times (spoiler?) but other than that pretty pedestrian.

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Not sure what your expectations were for a pilot episode in a non-comic book fantasy show. But for me, it started off well with:

- Geralt of Rivia first appears doing what he is expected to be focused on most - killing monsters

- We find out his purpose is taking out such creatures for a price as he goes to collect his bounty

- But as a unique group created for such tasks, we also find out they are shunned and pretty much disliked by people

- Early on, we find out he killed the wrong monster leading to his new adventures

- We also learn of a character that later on in the season will become central to his go-forward story (and Season 2 focus)

Even with Game of Thrones, the pilot led to changes because it went over so poorly with the initial screening. So this 'everyone wants to be Game of Thrones' potential assumption can forget even GoT went over badly initially.

The Reason We’ll Probably Never See the Original Game of Thrones Pilot Is Because It Was Apparently a Huge Piece of

Six years after its completion, the original, unaired Game of Thrones pilot — directed by Spotlight’s Tom McCarthy, and featuring different actors for Daenerys Targaryen and Catelyn Stark — remains a source of fascination for fans, for the simple reason that almost no one outside the production has ever seen it. Now, while appearing on the podcast Scriptnotes, GOT showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have finally revealed why: It was terrible. The pair recalled hosting a screening of the pilot, where Scriptnotes co-host Craig Mazin was in attendance. “I was taking notes, and I had this yellow legal pad, and I just remembered writing in all caps, ‘Massive problem,’” recalled Benioff. Weiss confirmed, calling the screening “one of the most painful experiences of my life.”

The Witcher Is One of Netflix's Highest Rated Series

Netflix seems to have another hit on its hands with its adaptation of Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher, and it's sitting in some pretty elite company on IMDb's ratings of Top Netflix Original Series (via Forbes). The show started out with an 8.9 rating, which initially made it Netflix's highest-rated original series on the site, but since then it has fallen to 8.8. Even with the drop, it is among some heavyweights, as shows like Black Mirror, Narcos, and House of Cards all have the same exact score. That also puts it ahead of other big-time series like The Crown, Better Call Saul, and Daredevil, and that's a pretty impressive feat.

It will likely drop another few point or two over time, but even then that's some stellar company, and it seems that season 2 renewal was the right call.

1 Black Mirror (8.8)

2. The Witcher (8.8)

3. Narcos (8.8)

4. House of Cards (8.8)

5. The Crown (8.7)

6. Dark (8.7)

7. Better Call Saul (8.7)

8. Mindhunter (8.6)

9. BoJack Horseman (8.6)

10. Daredevil (8.6)

TheWitcher_IMDb.PNG.203c0e0d5daef385bda2568a96256f19.PNG