• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you pay $3.99 for media mail?????

41 posts in this topic

Charging *a bit* more over actual shipping is fine. One must pay for materials (things like packing tape, labels, yadda yadda), and I think a seller should have the option of having the buyer cover the Paypal fees on the cost of shipping.

OK, point taken. However, if one uses Priority Flat Rate there is no extra seller expense for packing tape, labels, or even envelopes. The Post Office provides the Flat Rate envelope for free, and there is no need for packing tape (it has an adhesive strip) & you don't need a label as you can write freehand in the provided space. ( & labels are free should you indeed need one.)

So I guess you'd just want him to toss the comic in the flat rate envelope and send it along? poke2.gif

I only wish I could pack like that. Make shipping a helluvalot easier.

I probably would not pay it, not because it is unreasonable but because typically if I am looking for something low priced like that I try and find it locally or wait until someone has that item and some others to even out the shipping charge. When I actively sell stuff (99% through ebay) I use the shipping calculator and add $1.50 handling fee per package - additional items at no additional handling charge. It usually works out to right at $3.35 for one item going via Media Mail.

There are additional costs above and beyond using the Flat Rate envelope. I typically do not factor in the bag and board into that (or any) cost, but whenever I use a Flat Rate envelope I use two cardboard slip sheets to protect the comic(s) on the inside. Also, since I usually print shipping labels from Paypal, I do save the delivery confirmation charge on Priority labels but I do have to pay for the actual label paper. Just those two alone are about 55 cents, and keep in mind that I am already saving the 55 cents delivery confirmation.

Also, one thing that I have not seen mentioned is travel to and from the Post Office and the time and hassle to go there. If sellers charged for that it probably would be equitable to add a $5 or $10 per package handling charge! smile.gif

I don't really care what sort of mail is used to ship a book as long as the packaging is secure - and I factor the shipping costs into my bid on anything less than $50, and even sometimes for more expensive books - especially if shipping and insurance are listed as $8-$12. It doesn't really matter to me on a cheap book if the seller is adding a couple of bucks to the shipping or to the min. bid or BIN. I also understand that selling & shipping $2 books isn't worth most peoples time unless they can add "handling charges", and even then it's probably not worth it unless most buyers are buying a number of books.

Almost anything one buys mail order from a retail outlet will cost less to ship than the amount charged, and major comic dealers have for years charged a little extra for handling - I don't understand why sellers are constantly raked over the coals for charging an extra buck or two for shipping. Sure egregious examples like $15 shipping on a relatively inexpensive comic deserve condemnation, but $3.99 for media mail is far short of abusive.

Geeze either you pay the seller the way he wants to do business or find someone else.Its not really complicated either you buy it or not!I I thought I would add its not rocket science but hey its not!!

Davidking623

Charging *a bit* more over actual shipping is fine. One must pay for materials (things like packing tape, labels, yadda yadda), and I think a seller should have the option of having the buyer cover the Paypal fees on the cost of shipping.

OK, point taken. However, if one uses Priority Flat Rate there is no extra seller expense for packing tape, labels, or even envelopes. The Post Office provides the Flat Rate envelope for free, and there is no need for packing tape (it has an adhesive strip) & you don't need a label as you can write freehand in the provided space. ( & labels are free should you indeed need one.)

So I guess you'd just want him to toss the comic in the flat rate envelope and send it along? poke2.gif

Yeah my problem solved 27_laughing.gif

Davidking623

I only wish I could pack like that. Make shipping a helluvalot easier.

ok, thought I'd complain tonight and blow off some steam...

I bought some raw books from a new eBayer...only $5 to ship....cost him $4.50...no big deal there...and the book was sent Priority...great...

this seller has over 2200 positives, no negs (removed them?) and a few neutrals.

The books arrived in an USPS envelope, with a thin cardboard covering 50% of the books. Half of the books sustained damage, and it was apparent it was during shipping, as the boards incurred similar damage as did the envelope. At least he bagged and boarded them...his pre-shipping grade looked accurate...

I don't care what anyone says: shipping comics in an envelope is just plain WRONG! frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif I just can't believe a seller with these many feedbacks has to be told how to protect the books.

The horror!

I don't care what anyone says: shipping comics in an envelope is just plain WRONG!

I have shipped comics in manilla envelopes hundreds of times and I have never heard a peep from a buyer. Nothing wrong with using envelopes as long as sturdy, oversized cardboard sheets are used with them. I have had a few people, like this guy, send books with cardboard packing smaller than the comics. What is that supposed to do? screwy.gif Now I include a note with every one of my eBay orders requesting a oversized cardboard or a box. I haven't had any problems since then.

There IS A METHOD TO THE MADNESS that allows correct shipment in an envelope--the key is protection. Ensuring the comics are not in a free-fall mode with little or no protection is not a good start. As a fellow comic collector I'm sure you haven't had complaints because you protect the book--you just don't stick it in an envelope and send it on its way.

It's been a crapshoot for me getting books delivered in an envelope. For me it's boxed or bust... sumo.gif

What kills me is that I ALWAYS send a note to new sellers to send it boxed. I had forgotten to do that this time...and see what happens.

I guess I'm just in shock because I see comic damage as something that should be preventable. For a book to survive 25+ years only to get damaged because of poor shipping really pizzes me off.

Have a nice day.

BTW, my wife's tests for the baby have come back with all green lights. It's another boy, too...

Sterling! Congrats!

My fiancee & I just found out from the OB last Weds. that we are going to be having our first child. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Must be something about these boards... either that or there's something really potent in the ink used for horror comics! grin.gif

What kills me is that I ALWAYS send a note to new sellers to send it boxed. I had forgotten to do that this time...and see what happens.

I'm very good with my packing usually, but when I get these notes telling ME how to pack their book, well, I just go f'n ballistic! I take it as a slight on my fragile ego and I go out of my way to make sure the book arrives as close to shredded condition as possible, complete with an array of bodily fluid stains, not all mine of course, borrowed from my dogs and kid's diapers - I mean , after all, who IS this plebe that dares demand of me how to ship their book. IMO, they're lucky I just don't take the money and run devil.gif P.S. I hate notes... smile.gif

I'm very good with my packing usually, but when I get these notes telling ME how to pack their book, well, I just go f'n ballistic! I take it as a slight on my fragile ego and I go out of my way to make sure the book arrives as close to shredded condition as possible, complete with an array of bodily fluid stains, not all mine of course, borrowed from my dogs and kid's diapers - I mean , after all, who IS this plebe that dares demand of me how to ship their book. IMO, they're lucky I just don't take the money and run devil.gif P.S. I hate notes... smile.gif

Dear Darthdiesel:

Thanks for the great price on the book! I see your feedback & status for your comics is unprecedented...but unfortunately it's the damaged packages that I've recieved (4 out of the last 5) that concerns me.So if you'd carefully package as follows: Comic is to be placed in a bubble mailer between 2 thick pieces of cardboard,taped on all sides....but not too tight mind you. Also please reinforce the spine by cutting 2 extra pieces of cardboard about 2 to 3 inch wide & tape them on the front & back along the spine. I guess that should do for now...OBTW make sure you put the correct address on the package & please get it out in the next day or 2...I hate waiting,very impatient. Well that sums it up for now...if there's anything else I can do for you....drop me a line. Cassandra

P.S. Since I'm such a good customer could you throw in an Amazing Fantasy # 15 for the heck of it.. gossip.gif Thanks Again

What bothers me the most is when a day after they've paid by Paypal, they send me an e-mail stating how they want their $5 book packaged and shipped. Some want large priority boxes for protection while others want small once to fit into they're mail slots. I just hate having to repackage a book.

One other person gave me specific details on how to package his book since he believed his mailman was a part time wrestler that liked to grapple with his packages.