• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Grade Magazine Comics
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I have been reading some of the threads in this magazine forum and there are a lot of interesting comments from experienced collectors! I never knew this forum existed actually, but now that I've found it I would like to pose an interesting question. Where have you had the most success finding high grade magazines? Interesting stories are encouraged! For me it has been mostly E-bay but I'm interested in what other sources have been successful for high grade collectors.

2 hours ago, apocalypse76 said:

Where have you had the most success finding high grade magazines? 

1990.  Ultra high grade mags of every publisher were plentiful.  Wish I could go back there. :cloud9:

Seriously, though, there are many online comic dealers and dealers that set up at conventions that have great inventory.  Terry of Terry’s comics comes to mind but there are many others.  Ebay is sort of like gambling.  There are good sellers and bad but you don’t know until you try each one.

The only place I shop is through board members.

DeadOne, Wombat, Randall Dowling above, and quite a few more boarders that have been terrific in helping me with my Horror mag. needs.

To be honest DeadOne has pretty much completed my Vampirella and Creepy runs for me.

Edited by oakman29

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

DeadOne, Wombat, Randall Dowling above, and quite a few more boarders that have been terrific in helping me with my Horror mag. needs.

To be honest DeadOne has pretty much completed my Vampirella and Creepy runs for me.

Don’t forget our Bountiful Bounty! :whistle:

3 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

1990.  Ultra high grade mags of every publisher were plentiful.  Wish I could go back there. :cloud9:

Seriously, though, there are many online comic dealers and dealers that set up at conventions that have great inventory.  Terry of Terry’s comics comes to mind but there are many others.  Ebay is sort of like gambling.  There are good sellers and bad but you don’t know until you try each one.

I agree but I have mainly used E-bay for my collecting and I'm familiar with many sellers on there. I'm very comfortable with my grading skill and I have very good eye sight so I'm rarely disappointed. Those few times that I have been I just returned the books. I mainly just want to expand my network because nice books are so hard to find. What shows tend to have dealers that have nice magazines because I have been to many comics shows and the dealers tend to have low grade stuff or don't bother to bring magazines at all.

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

When you say shop from board members are you referring to that trade/buy thread in this forum?

2 minutes ago, apocalypse76 said:

When you say shop from board members are you referring to that trade/buy thread in this forum?

I've been here so long , usually I don't even wait for a sales thread. I  just call on my friends here and they find a book I'm looking for.

Yes, then there is the sales threads.

1 minute ago, apocalypse76 said:

I do know MakMorn from eBay, I have bought from him a few times and actually just received a book from him in the mail today. 

Well then you are probably getting one hell of a great looking book.

Edited by oakman29

7 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Well then you are probably getting one hell of a great looking book.

Cgc 9.6 Creepy 1970 Yearbook, I will crack it tomorrow and load a scan so you guys can see it. I'm actually working on buying a lot of several Warrens from another seller that I met through EBay who says he has a run that is from off the back shelves at Warren Publishing. Does that statement mean anything to you or is that just salesmanship?

Just now, apocalypse76 said:

I'm actually working on buying a lot of several Warrens from another seller that I met through EBay who says he has a run that is from off the back shelves at Warren Publishing. Does that statement mean anything to you or is that just salesmanship?

It's hard to say.  Warren had a huge warehouse of back issue mags that sat for a very long time before being cleared out (apparently Chuck Rozanski ended up with a bunch of them).  It could be from that group that the seller is referring.

4 minutes ago, apocalypse76 said:

Cgc 9.6 Creepy 1970 Yearbook, I will crack it tomorrow and load a scan so you guys can see it. I'm actually working on buying a lot of several Warrens from another seller that I met through EBay who says he has a run that is from off the back shelves at Warren Publishing. Does that statement mean anything to you or is that just salesmanship?

Doesn't mean anything to me.

Why would you crack out a 9.6 Creepy Yearbook? Do you have any idea how hard they are to come by in that grade.

Edited by oakman29

35 minutes ago, apocalypse76 said:

nice books are so hard to find.

This is more true than most people have any idea.  Either due to the black front covers, black back covers, white covers (with black back covers) or the fact that there are periods of all 3 major runs that print runs apparently dipped down pretty low.  There are certain issues that I've been searching for a 9.4 or better for a couple of decades with little success.

32 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I've been here so long , usually I don't even wait for a sales thread. I  just call on my friends here and they find a book I'm looking for.

Yes, then there is the sales threads.

I always enjoy rooting for your collection, Man 'o Oak!  My hope is that one day there will be a CGC designation- "Oakman collection"!

13 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Doesn't mean anything to me.

Why would you crack out a 9.6 Creepy Yearbook? Do you have any idea how hard they are to come by in that grade.

Yeah I know but l don't like owning slabs. I like to hold the books and admire the interiors. I try to buy raw but when I find graded books for reasonable prices I don't mind paying for them.