• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a Larson?

8 posts in this topic

This sure looks like a Larson to me and the moisture damage would

be consistent with that as well. However, I am puzzled since

a number of other, much higher grade, Larson Advs. in the #40s

and #50s sold in the Nic Cage auction. Does anyone have any insights

that could explain this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2167030724

There is a faint L written between letters A(dventure) and C(omics).

It looks like a Larson-L.

(But based on heritage pictures he usually wrote "Larson "instead only "L".)

I don't actually have any real info this is just speculation.

It is NOT a Larson.

I'm not sure where the "L" only rumors started, but after seeing abunch of Larson's

and talking with Jon Berk (the largest single owner of Larsons including the Action #1), I can say that all the verified Larsons have either Lamont or Larson written on them.

Yup, my mistake. I somehow got into my head that an "L" was

one of the identification marks for a Larson and also thought the

writing looked similiar to that on many Larson copies. Not only did

I forget my "pedigree markings 101"; after comparing with a dozen

or so Larson copies it is obvious that this was written by another person.

From Matt Nelson's "bible":

"Common characteristics of a Larson include foxing (brown speckles on edges of pages or cover) and occasional water stains, due to their storage in a barn for many years. The exposure to moisture caused the foxing and water stains. The pages are white to off-white and are very bouncy in texture. The covers are very glossy with deep colors. Very few display technical defects. IDENTIFICATION-Identifying a Larson is quite easy, because practically every known copy has some kind of identifying mark on the front cover. In all, five identifiable markings can exist on a Larson: "ON", "PN", "Lamont", "Larson", or a number. Any combination of these five markings can exist on a cover".

Btw., there are many of the Heritage Larsons that don't seem to bear any markings at all?

Here's a more constructive contribution re. Larsons: very few Disneys exist fromthe most well known pedigrees. This is one of the top keys among those; almostimpossible to find in any condition:

mmv512.jpg

I have a copy of the original "Larson" list. Adventure 42 is not listed as being in the collection.

Jon Berk knows all about the collection and there are not any known copies with an "L" on them.