• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #1 9.9 vs Iron Man #1 9.0 WP

Spawn vs Iron Man  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be my first 4-figure comic purchase?

• Spawn #1 CGC 9.9
    • Iron Man #1 CGC 9.0(+) WP

27 posts in this topic

Contemplating my 1st 4-figure purchase. I've been wanting a Mint Spawn #1 for a long time, but recently, I've shifted my heart towards an Iron Man 9.0 (or higher) with White Pages.

I don't have any CGC Marvel or Image comics, yet, so they'd both be the start there. I also don't have any pre-80's.

I have a feeling that the board will likely lean me towards Iron Man. Let me know what you think.

Personally, I have tons of Spawn HCs, TPBs, and individual issues. I have a few Iron Man hardcovers. Spawn is one of my favorite comic properties, and Iron Man is my favorite MCU character. I'm looking for a #1, and not specifically a 1st appearance (hence not looking for TOS #39), even though 1 of the 2 happens to be Spawn's 1st app.

I'm also looking to traverse into pre-Modern books, and this would be a good start IMO. Wondering if I should start now, or just keep following the path I've been on for a couple years.

My opinion, but if I'm going to drop 1k+ on a book I'd want it to be the highest graded example. For that reason, I'd shy away from the Iron Man #1. That being said, not sure a 9.9 Spawn is worth that much considering there are 65 in that grade and 6 more that are 10.0. 

So my vote - unless you have money to burn I would pass on both at that price point.

Need an option for "Other".

For low four figures, I'd rather pick up a mid-grade Golden Age book. Something from Marvel Mystery, Action or Detective comics (or whatever title that you like).

Just trying to save you the inevitable descent. Many of us started buying Bronze Age books from the spinner racks, then moved into collecting Silver Age as we got a little older. From there, we discovered Atomic Age as we learned more about that tumultuous period and then finally embraced Golden Age. Wish I had just jumped to Golden Age right from the beginning!

If you haven't picked up the Gerber Photo-Journal Guides, highly recommend them.

3 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

My opinion, but if I'm going to drop 1k+ on a book I'd want it to be the highest graded example. For that reason, I'd shy away from the Iron Man #1. That being said, not sure a 9.9 Spawn is worth that much considering there are 65 in that grade and 6 more that are 10.0. 

So my vote - unless you have money to burn I would pass on both at that price point.

I'm looking for White page quality, though. A lot of higher-grade Iron Man 1's are Off-White to White. They're also more expensive...

Just now, WoWitHurts said:

Which do you like more? Spawn or Iron Man?

Kind of a tie, hence the topic asking for outside opinion.

If I was going to read 1 of them - it'd be Spawn, but I have reader copies of both. I'm looking for a high-grade #1 self-title.

3 minutes ago, bc said:

Need an option for "Other".

For low four figures, I'd rather pick up a mid-grade Golden Age book. Something from Marvel Mystery, Action or Detective comics (or whatever title that you like).

Just trying to save you the inevitable descent. Many of us started buying Bronze Age books from the spinner racks, then moved into collecting Silver Age as we got a little older. From there, we discovered Atomic Age as we learned more about that tumultuous period and then finally embraced Golden Age. Wish I had just jumped to Golden Age right from the beginning!

If you haven't picked up the Gerber Photo-Journal Guides, highly recommend them.

1 v 1 v A Million. lol

These are just 2 books on my radar that I want and can fit into my budget for a big buy this year.. I'm not into mid-grade encapsulated books (yet).

I can't afford the GA Superman/Batman stuff that I'd like to own.

My view has always been go for the older book.

Also, 9.9s are more likely to be downgraded if they get reholdered and you've lost that money.  There's a thread here somewhere about a Hulk 181 9.9 that went to be reholdered and it was downgraded to a 9.8.

Just now, D84 said:

Also, 9.9s are more likely to be downgraded if they get reholdered and you've lost that money.  There's a thread here somewhere about a Hulk 181 9.9 that went to be reholdered and it was downgraded to a 9.8.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't considered much.

26 minutes ago, D84 said:

a reholdered should not be regraded. 

50 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Kind of a tie, hence the topic asking for outside opinion.

If I was going to read 1 of them - it'd be Spawn, but I have reader copies of both. I'm looking for a high-grade #1 self-title.

Well I don't know much Spawn past the first 20 issues or so and I am an avid IM collector. I don't go in for the 9.9 shenanigans as I doubt they exist. How many 9.9 resubs would come back 9.9? I do like Spawn, colored Spawn once professionally for a magazine cover and own a Spawn 1 9.8. I would buy the most rare Spawn I can get for the price.

41 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

a reholdered should not be regraded. 

Here's the thread.  But I was wrong about the book.  It wasn't a Hulk 181 (it was mentioned in the thread, which I think is what confused me) but a Killing Joke that went from an 9.9 to 9.8 when sent in for reholder.

2 hours ago, D84 said:

Here's the thread.  But I was wrong about the book.  It wasn't a Hulk 181 (it was mentioned in the thread, which I think is what confused me) but a Killing Joke that went from an 9.9 to 9.8 when sent in for reholder.

thank you for this information. I was not aware that they could regrade. This is change from the information I was aware of.

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Contemplating my 1st 4-figure purchase. I've been wanting a Mint Spawn #1 for a long time, but recently, I've shifted my heart towards an Iron Man 9.0 (or higher) with White Pages.

I don't have any CGC Marvel or Image comics, yet, so they'd both be the start there. I also don't have any pre-80's.

I have a feeling that the board will likely lean me towards Iron Man. Let me know what you think.

Personally, I have tons of Spawn HCs, TPBs, and individual issues. I have a few Iron Man hardcovers. Spawn is one of my favorite comic properties, and Iron Man is my favorite MCU character. I'm looking for a #1, and not specifically a 1st appearance (hence not looking for TOS #39), even though 1 of the 2 happens to be Spawn's 1st app.

I'm also looking to traverse into pre-Modern books, and this would be a good start IMO. Wondering if I should start now, or just keep following the path I've been on for a couple years.

I am going with Spawn 1 9.9. I think Iron Man comics could slightly drop in value if in Avengers : Endgame he is killed off or retired. We could be seeing the peak for the big three (Captain America,Iron Man, Thor) if they are all written out of the future Marvel movies. Really these movies have given them juice. Take away that juice and who knows?

Spawn could really take off if this Todd McFarlane new Spawn movie is a hit, plus add the nostalgia factor of kids from the 1990s coming into their own as adults now with income makes me think over the next few years a Spawn 1 9.9  could be a better bet than Iron Man 1 9.0.

btw. I always thought that Spawn could one day become the biggest non-Marvel/DC character around. 

So I guess we will see over the next few years. Either way Iron Man #1 9.0 isn't a bad pick just that I am leaning towards Spawn 1 9.9.

23 hours ago, D84 said:

:news: Misinformation :news:

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

34 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

:news: Misinformation :news:

Look back in the thread, I posted a link and corrected that it wasn't a Hulk 181, but The Killing Joke.

Also, if you follow Regie Simmons on YouTube, he talked to Matt and Brittany.  They started for reholders, they do look at the books for reholder to see if the grade matches the book.

Edited by D84