• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grendel Original Art

25 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Figured I'd post this in the Copper section, since you folks are the people who would most appreciate it. Picked this cover up off of ebay recently (some of you may have seen the auction, I'm sure). When I saw it, I just had to have it.

The original cover art to Grendel #1, published in 1983 by Comico. Pencilled and inked, of course, by Matt Wagner. Now, I've got two of my three favorite Grendel items. If only I can find that darned Comico Primer #2 cover!!!!

Hope it brings back some fond 80s memories. I know it did (and does) for me!

grendel1.jpg

Best,

Hi,

The other piece I have is the original wraparound cover painting to the Devil by the Deed graphic novel that came out in 1986. In my opinion, Matt's finest Grendel piece bar none. I'm trying to make a better scan of it. Because of its size, I had to scan it in two pieces even with my 11X17 scanner, and even with that I'm missing about 20% of the art. And, I had a lot of trouble getting the color to mesh properly. When I get a better scan, I'll post it again.

Best,

Hi,

The other piece I have is the original wraparound cover painting to the Devil by the Deed graphic novel that came out in 1986. In my opinion, Matt's finest Grendel piece bar none. I'm trying to make a better scan of it. Because of its size, I had to scan it in two pieces even with my 11X17 scanner, and even with that I'm missing about 20% of the art. And, I had a lot of trouble getting the color to mesh properly. When I get a better scan, I'll post it again.

Best,

Hari, please do. I'd love to see it. The cover to Grendel #1 is fantastic, and my favorite (along with probably all other Grendel fans) is #2.

Grendel #2 is a great cover, and probably the best stand-alone cover in the three-issue run.... but Grendel isn't on it? So, I would give the nod to the #1. Here are the two of them, to compare.

2808_4_2.jpg

2808_4_1.jpg

Truth be told, I'd love to own them all!! So, if anyone sees the other ones, let me know. A nice finder's fee awaits!

Best,

Hi,

Best,

Hari, please do. I'd love to see it. The cover to Grendel #1 is fantastic, and my favorite (along with probably all other Grendel fans) is #2.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant my favorite is the cover to Primer #2.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I know about Ben's cover. I never read those issues, though. The vintage Grendel period, to me, was the 1983 mini-series, Comico Primer #2, and all the Devil by the Deed back-up stories in Mage (later compiled in the Devil by the Deed graphic novel in 1986). I liked the Pander Brothers version, too, but after that I lost interest.