1988 to Current - REGULAR EDITIONS that sell for $250+ in CGC 9.6
3 3

96 posts in this topic

Taking my "lessons learned" from my last attempt, I'm trying again. :grin:

To qualify for this list, a book needs to be:

1) Just the regular edition of a comic (not a variant, not a reprint, standard comic book pages in the standard cover).

2) Originally available in domestic (U.S.) comic shops from the shop's distributor (not self-distributed, not convention-specific, not store-exclusive, not recalled-from-shops, not mail-away, not free-with-video-game, etc.)

3) Worth at least $250 in universal CGC 9.6 or below (with multiple sales recorded on GPAnalysis at $250+, below the CGC 9.8 level)

4) Dated 1988 to present (so that this list starts with the most obvious and frequent example, Amazing Spider-Man #300, and moves to the present from there)

Why am I doing this?  Because most collectible comics used to be regular editions and we didn't have to specify these kinds of things to make a list.

OKEYDOKEY? Let's get started...

(List will be updated as qualifying (or disqualifying) books are discussed.)

Aliens (1988) #1

Akira (1995) #38

Amazing Spider-Man (1988) #300

Avenging Spider-Man (2012) #9**

Batman Adventures (1993) #12

Best Cellars (1995) #1

Bone (1991) #1

Bone (1991) #2

Caliber Presents (1989) #1

Captain Marvel (2013) #14

Chew (2009) #1

Creatures of the Id (1990) #1

Crow (1989) #1

Crow (1989) #2

Crow (1989) #3

Cry For Dawn (1989) #1**

Cyberfrog (1994) #1

Deadline (U.K.,1988) #1

Detective Comics (2011) #880

Dreamwalker (1998) #0

Edge of Spider-Verse (2014) #2

Evil Ernie (1991) #1

Goon (1999) #1

Harbinger (1992) #1

I, Lusiphur (1991) #1

Invincible (2003) #1

New Mutants (1990) #87**

New Mutants (1991) #98

NYX (2004) #3

Rick and Morty (2015) #1

Strangers In Paradise (1993) #1

Tank Girl (1991) #1

Vampirella (1988) #113 (a regular edition, but no new contents)

Walking Dead (2003) #1

Walking Dead (2003) #2

Walking Dead (2004) #3

Walking Dead (2005) #19

Y: The Last Man (2002) #1

** Indicates that the most recent prices have been below $250 in CGC 9.6, but there are multiple sales recorded above $250.

NOTE: The year of the comic is included because several of these titles also have later series of the same name which do not qualify for the list (most often for #1 issues).

Edited by valiantman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lobo1969 said:

Any of these selling at a price point more than half of what its 9.8 counterpart would sell for?

Interesting question. I eliminated the CGC 9.8 qualification because books like CGC 9.8 Wolverine #35 sell for thirty times the CGC 9.6 price. I don't think I've seen a CGC 9.6 that is more than half of a CGC 9.8, unless it has been a long time since a CGC 9.8 sold.  CGC 9.6 "right now" might be more than half of a CGC 9.8 "back then".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lobo1969 said:

Any of these selling at a price point more than half of what its 9.8 counterpart would sell for?

Tank Girl (1991) #1 sold for $540 in August 2018 for a CGC 9.2, when a CGC 9.8 sold for $500 a couple of days earlier and CGC 9.8 again for $500 a few weeks later in September 2018.  CGC 9.2 > CGC 9.8?  Weirdness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shiro9 said:

Edge of Spider-verse 2 has some over 250 and some below.  Dont have gpa so not sure.  Figured I would throw that out their.  BTW really like these threads, alot of books that I never knew sold for that.  Thanks.

Yep, the regular edition of Edge of Spider-verse #2 sells above $250 for CGC 9.6. (thumbsu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Interesting question. I eliminated the CGC 9.8 qualification because books like CGC 9.8 Wolverine #35 sell for thirty times the CGC 9.6 price. I don't think I've seen a CGC 9.6 that is more than half of a CGC 9.8, unless it has been a long time since a CGC 9.8 sold.  CGC 9.6 "right now" might be more than half of a CGC 9.8 "back then".

I only ask because it seems to me that any random 9.6 only seems to sell at only 50% or lower of the 9.8 price. Prices on modern keys make this very apparent where 9.6s seem to be undervalued in comparison to the 9.8 but this has been an observation around for many years echoed by others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, valiantman said:

T

New Mutants (1990) #87**

 

** Indicates that the most recent prices have been below $250 in CGC 9.6, but there are multiple sales recorded above $250.

NOTE: The year of the comic is included because several of these titles also have later series of the same name which do not qualify for the list (most often for #1 issues).

NM 87 prices have tanked lately right across the board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lobo1969 said:

I only ask because it seems to me that any random 9.6 only seems to sell at only 50% or lower of the 9.8 price. Prices on modern keys make this very apparent where 9.6s seem to be undervalued in comparison to the 9.8 but this has been an observation around for many years echoed by others.

When I think about it compared to something like restaurant burgers, there are restaurants that offer both deluxe burgers (9.8), almost-deluxe burgers (9.6) and value menu burgers (under 9.6 modern).  The almost-best burger (9.6) is always less popular than either of the other two because people tend to want either the best available or the value item. Look at Amazing Spider-Man #300, which consistently sells for $200+ in pretty much any grade down to CGC 6.0 (100% beef from the value menu), but you can get 3 in CGC 9.6 (almost-best) for the price of 1 CGC 9.8 (best).  CGC 9.9 is on a completely different menu since it's Kobe beef. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll mention Wolverine #102.5 again.

I'll admit that part of the price bump on both 9.6 and 9.8 copies are due to the poor, flimsy paper stock for this issue.  Combine that with the fact that many of these were mail-away promos, and you're looking at very few truly high grade copies.

However, until very recently where you can find a number of them for sale on eBay, this was a tough book to locate in any grade for a decent price.  Many Wolverine completists such as myself, spent months waiting for any copy to pop up for sale online, and years for higher grade copies to surface.  Even with the recent influx of supply, it's rare for a copy in any grade to sell for less than $100.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I'll mention Wolverine #102.5 again.

I'll admit that part of the price bump on both 9.6 and 9.8 copies are due to the poor, flimsy paper stock for this issue.  Combine that with the fact that many of these were mail-away promos, and you're looking at very few truly high grade copies.

However, until very recently where you can find a number of them for sale on eBay, this was a tough book to locate in any grade for a decent price.  Many Wolverine completists such as myself, spent months waiting for any copy to pop up for sale online, and years for higher grade copies to surface.  Even with the recent influx of supply, it's rare for a copy in any grade to sell for less than $100.

Mail-away promos are excluded in Rule #2. :foryou:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, masterlogan2000 said:
10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Mail-away promos are excluded in Rule #2. :foryou:

The #102.5 is considered part of the 1988 (Vol 2) series, but it would still help if I would have read the rules more closely. :)

It would also help if I checked recent sales, as prices have gone a little bit soft anyways. :tonofbricks:

No problem. I'm not surprised when books that were "not sold in stores" (like Wolverine #102.5) have value and I'm not surprised when they don't (like Heroes Reborn #1/2).  Neither of them are "regular comics" that kids (in theory) could walk into a shop and pull right off the shelf for regular cover price. I'm basically looking for plain needles in the haystack, not mail-away needles intended for expert needle collectors. :kidaround: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There are many books on the list that have 2nd printing variants.

I don't think it matters IF there's a second print as long as the regular edition is the one that meets the value criteria of the thread....so I'd say "no reprints" in the OP means no 2nd prints.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I don't think it matters IF there's a second print as long as the regular edition is the one that meets the value criteria of the thread....so I'd say "no reprints" in the OP means no 2nd prints.   

Ah, yes. The first time the thread was created it said it couldn't have any variants for the issue either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are many books on the list that have 2nd printing variants.

Once again, there is nearly no such thing. There are very, very few second(+) printings that have different versions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3