• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 to Current - REGULAR EDITIONS that sell for $250+ in CGC 9.6
2 2

98 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Knights of the Dinner Table #1 (only 1 sale; crappy pic, don’t know if this is legit)Pirates of the Dark Water #1 (only 1 sale)

I'd believe this. KoDT #1 had a print run of only 3000, and frankly all of the AEG-published issues (#1-#3) show up beat more often than neat. You'll note that the census for #1 has a lot of copies in 8.5-9.4, but only one 9.8 and two 9.6s.

Pirates of the Dark Water #1 (only 1 sale)

On the other hand, I low-key collect this title and this is 100% a "What in the how now??" result to me. Any idea if this was a newsstand copy? But even then... Newsstand editions of #1 aren't exactly scarce. Now, newsstands of #9 are a different story. Frankly, I have to assume that this was driven by someone misunderstanding the value of the title combined with apparent scarcity due to the low number of slabbed copies of this series in general (because, you know, the IP hasn't been touched in 20 years, maybe?).

29 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I'd believe this. KoDT #1 had a print run of only 3000, and frankly all of the AEG-published issues (#1-#3) show up beat more often than neat. You'll note that the census for #1 has a lot of copies in 8.5-9.4, but only one 9.8 and two 9.6s.

On the other hand, I low-key collect this title and this is 100% a "What in the how now??" result to me. Any idea if this was a newsstand copy? But even then... Newsstand editions of #1 aren't exactly scarce. Now, newsstands of #9 are a different story. Frankly, I have to assume that this was driven by someone misunderstanding the value of the title combined with apparent scarcity due to the low number of slabbed copies of this series in general (because, you know, the IP hasn't been touched in 20 years, maybe?).

I basically did an eBay sold search for CGC 9.6 and sorted by descending value and went down the list. So yeah, these jumped out at me, as I don't think I had heard of them. And the fact that there was only one sale.

28 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Actually just checked again and it's Pirates #9 (but not a Newsstand, and the only graded copy). Fixing the list

Pirates #9 had a much lower print run than the rest of the series, has stunning cover art by Charles Vess (that matches nothing else in the series, admittedly), and... still shouldn't be a $250 slab (especially because I think that was a 9.6!).

26 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Pirates #9 had a much lower print run than the rest of the series, has stunning cover art by Charles Vess (that matches nothing else in the series, admittedly), and... still shouldn't be a $250 slab (especially because I think that was a 9.6!).

Yeah, Vess cover is nice. It was advertised as the only graded copy, so if there were enough for there to be multiple sales, perhaps the price wouldn't be that high.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIRATES-OF-THE-DARK-WATER-9-CGC-9-6-ONLY-GRADED-COPY-/402642246138?hash=item5dbf5919fa%3Ag%3ABpUAAOSwGPhf93kG&nma=true&si=sYFZpAP8jgg2HhKdrZ3u8RpT1os%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yeah, Vess cover is nice. It was advertised as the only graded copy, so if there were enough for there to be multiple sales, perhaps the price wouldn't be that high.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIRATES-OF-THE-DARK-WATER-9-CGC-9-6-ONLY-GRADED-COPY-/402642246138?hash=item5dbf5919fa%3Ag%3ABpUAAOSwGPhf93kG&nma=true&si=sYFZpAP8jgg2HhKdrZ3u8RpT1os%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$500?? Holy :censored:. Here I was thinking this had just squeaked in over the $250 line, maybe to someone really dedicated to collecting Vess art or something. But $500? This has to be an outlier oddball, sold to someone who doesn't understand how CGC works, right? Right?

On 3/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, Qalyar said:

$500?? Holy :censored:. Here I was thinking this had just squeaked in over the $250 line, maybe to someone really dedicated to collecting Vess art or something. But $500? This has to be an outlier oddball, sold to someone who doesn't understand how CGC works, right? Right?

Sold for $300.

This is one that I figure *should* qualify, once CGC 9.6s are available for sale. Hard to find Artgerm cover; raw copy sold for $230. I have one at CGC right now; I figure it's a 9.4 or so.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=a1+weirding+willows&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=11102&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1