• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 to Current - REGULAR EDITIONS that sell for $250+ in CGC 9.6
2 2

98 posts in this topic

It's pretty incredible that two years later (April 2019 to April 2021), this list has gone from "easy to remember" to "impossible to keep up".  We're just talking about regular editions, CGC 9.6... those are the recipes for "disaster" when it comes to "CGC 9.8 only" best-variant speculation. :grin:

On 4/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, valiantman said:

It's pretty incredible that two years later (April 2019 to April 2021), this list has gone from "easy to remember" to "impossible to keep up".  We're just talking about regular editions, CGC 9.6... those are the recipes for "disaster" when it comes to "CGC 9.8 only" best-variant speculation. :grin:

I'm not sure if it's just a matter of what I've been paying attention to, or what's getting discussed to a greater degree, but there seems to be a shift recently away from rare variant and back onto the importance of the content of a book. (Not that first appearances were ever unimportant)

On 4/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, valiantman said:

Inflation.  By the time this is all over , McDonald's happy meal will be on the list

On 3/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is one that I figure *should* qualify, once CGC 9.6s are available for sale. Hard to find Artgerm cover; raw copy sold for $230. I have one at CGC right now; I figure it's a 9.4 or so.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=a1+weirding+willows&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=11102&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

And now that a 9.6 was offered for sale, we have 1 result above the threshold.

@GeeksAreMyPeeps 

I can't edit the first post anymore because it's from the old board.  If you wanted to start a new topic that keeps the current list (most of them you've been the one to find), that won't bother me a bit.  I would suggest that you make a note of the "first $250+ sale" (at least the year), so we can see which regular edition books have been $250+ in CGC 9.6 (or lower) for a long time vs. those that only hit that target in the past year or two.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, valiantman said:

@GeeksAreMyPeeps 

I can't edit the first post anymore because it's from the old board.  If you wanted to start a new topic that keeps the current list (most of them you've been the one to find), that won't bother me a bit.  I would suggest that you make a note of the "first $250+ sale" (at least the year), so we can see which regular edition books have been $250+ in CGC 9.6 (or lower) for a long time vs. those that only hit that target in the past year or two.

I didn't really pay attention to when the sales were when I searched.

Here you go. The new eBay sort functionality lets sellers break down by year - if people put the year into the listing, it will show up here. All books listed as CGC 9.6 with a selling price of over $250 with dates since 1986, sorted by listed sale price.

Edited by FlyingDonut

Legend of Zelda #1

Captain N Game Master #1 (1 result over $250)

Looking at the sales results of the Valiant Nintendo books, there are probably a few others that would make the list if there were high-grade slabs available for sale.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps