• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 to Current - REGULAR EDITIONS that sell for $250+ in CGC 9.6
2 2

98 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Marvel seemed to think they were for a bit. YMMV

Dumb :censored: marketing clowns at Marvel are irrelevant. Printing "variant" on a book doesn't make it a variant.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Dumb :censored: marketing clowns at Marvel are irrelevant. Printing "variant" on a book doesn't make it a variant.

:roflmao:

you agree or don't. But until you start becoming an industry giant, you don't dictate.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

(shrug) I'm not. They aren't variants, by definition.

Marvel is printing on their cover "variant". I don't care what you, me and the lamppost "decide" is a variant. It's in print. Yes, it's 100% marketing. They are in the business of selling, not defining. Market can decide, just as they do with 1st appearances. But it's there, in print.

If they printed "poop" on the cover that wouldn't make the comic... uh, wait, bad example (we are talking about Variant age Marvel here).

If they printed "24k gold" on the cover that wouldn't make the paper (or the staples) gold.

Edited by Lazyboy

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

If they printed "poop" on the cover that wouldn't make the comic... uh, wait, bad example (we are talking about Variant age Marvel here).

If they printed "24k gold" on the cover that wouldn't make the paper (or the staples) gold.

Maybe 24k gold means the same as the “k” in fake Krab meat...hm

11 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Arguably they are, when they change the cover, since the main element of what a variant is is having an alternate cover. Is it marketing? Sure. But the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

since the main element of what a variant is is having an alternate cover

??? What?

In order for a variant to exist, there needs to be at least two versions produced of the same product. Different printings are different products.

17 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

??? What?

In order for a variant to exist, there needs to be at least two versions produced of the same product. Different printings are different products.

I think of a "Second Print" as a book printed in the same way as the original (which means the same cover art), with the addition of a notation of some sort to distinguish it from a First Print.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:52 PM, Lazyboy said:

Right, that's called science. How does science apply to comics?

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Right, that's called science. How does science apply to comics?

(shrug) You're the one arguing that publishers adding words to a cover changes reality.

Though I'm still confused about why you introduced that unrelated garbage into this thread in the first place.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:14 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Second printings count? If so, Sandman 75 second printing.

Sorry, not for this list. I'm looking for books have regular (first) editions that should be nothing special (value-wise) but they became special in spite of their "normalness".