• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s HAWKEYE (TBD)
5 5

343 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I've trained in martial arts for quite a while. Aikido in particular.

Spoiler

A large part of the way Aikido works is it allows the practitioner to use an opponent's energy or weight against them. Many martial arts use that way. It allows someone of lesser weight to take out a person much bigger than themselves. The UFC is cage fighting, not real world fighting. In the UFC, you can't throat punch an opponent or kick them in the gonads or use wine bottles against them. 

As for Kate earning something, she has not earned anything in the show yet. She is not yet an Avenger or a super-hero, she just wants to be.

I'm not really justifying anything. I'm trying to point out to you what's in the show. It's all there. The show is well done. If there's a knock on anything, IMO, it's that I'm a little unclear of Kate's motivation in the present day. She wanted to be a protector, so did she lose focus along the way and that's why she was doing the bell tower prank? What was she waiting for to use her skills responsibly? Was she waiting for Clint Barton to come along or is this business with her mother the first time she's experienced adversity that threatens her family, thus prompting her to awaken? I'm assuming it's the latter.

:shiftyeyes:

What level wiki belt are you?

:baiting:

OK watched the first two episodes over the long weekend and was a bit underwhelmed. I will watch the rest and hope that there's a pickup in the story but seemed to demean Hawkeye, yes realize I would not be the first, when anyone can train to become another "Hawkeye." Not trying to be dismissive because it's a 'girl' but seems there can be hundreds/thousands of Hawkeye's out there now who grew up after the Battle of New York or Thanos to become 'Super Heroes.' Just my two cents. 

Somewhat interesting chat with Hailee Steinfeld on the Kelly Clarkson Show about the Hawkeye series. What I found particularly interesting is when Kelly asks Hailee if she had a favorite super-hero growing up, to which Hailee says "no." Kelly, answering for herself, notes how she didn't really have a female super-hero to look up to as there weren't really any around except She-Ra (outside of what was in comic books). She says there was Wonder Woman but the character wasn't really a thing when Kelly was growing up. Kelly then notes that today her daughter has all these female super-heroes to look up to now and that Kelly's personal favorite is Captain Marvel :). Again, what I think is an interesting perspective on super-heroes from two ladies who don't read comics. Hawkeye chat begins at 7:10.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

I liked the second episode much more than the first, probably because I'm a gamer and I appreciated the LARP sequence.  I also liked the dialogue between Kate and Clint at almost every turn....they have strong chemistry.

As far as backgrounds and storytelling goes, I'm not sure I need to see the training wheels come off in these stories.  Hawkeye himself is introduced in 'Thor' with zero information about how he's trained or got so good at what he does.  I see the point about learning about Kate's development as a component of understanding her character, but it seems Marvel finds the story about her meeting and learning from Clint more compelling.  Maybe we'll get more flashbacks on her as the series progresses?

Current grade:  B (good)

Dan

Episode 3 was a fun ride!

Seeing a brief glimpse of Echo's origin was really good. Zahn McClarnon (Westworld, Doctor Sleep, Bone Tomahawk) as her father was cool to see. But he is such a solid actor it would have been nice to see more of him.

Halfway through, and at least the ending came to an interesting teaser for the next episode.

Don't read if you haven't watched Episode 3 yet.

Marvel's Hawkeye is saying "Uncle." After capturing Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) and Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) to end Episode 2, "Hide and Seek," Wednesday's "Echoes" introduces Maya Lopez (Alaqua Cox) to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Enter Echo: the deaf fighter and boss behind the Tracksuit Mafia at the center of an expanding criminal conspiracy.

Spoiler

She wants answers about Ronin, the masked ninja who killed her father when wiping out the Tracksuits at Fat Man Auto Repair (hint!) in between the events of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. In a flashback to 2007, William Lopez (Zahn McClarnon) signs to a young Maya (Darnell Besaw) about learning to jump "between two worlds" just by watching. It's at a karate academy where Maya finds her strength before meeting her unseen "Uncle," a man of size who chuckles as he gently brushes her cheek.

hawkeye-episode-3-kingpin.png

When Kate requests intel about the bad blood between the Tracksuits and the masked murderer Ronin, Clint tells Kate, "They started small, but grew. Or at least the guy at the top, he'll do anything to grow the operation."

"There's someone above Maya," Clint warns, "someone you don't wanna mess with."

Just watched Episode 3 a second time. Hawkeye is an excellent series and another great example of the type of storytelling the MCU can explore through the extended television series format. If the show continues on this trajectory, it may end up being the best example so far of that.

Slight spoiler here...

As the MCU continues to explore the female side of its universe, I really dig Episode 3's symmetry between Maya and Kate. One woman comes from a family who lived on top of the world in a New York City brownstone apartment with a view of Avengers tower. The other woman comes from a family that thrived in the underworld. Both owe their life's path to the actions of Clint Barton.

Speaking of Maya's world, I love how the MCU is finally exploring the criminal underworld of its universe and thus the possible characters it can bring forth into this universe, like Kingpin, Daredevil, Bullseye, Luke Cage, Frank Castle, basically the Netflix guys LOL

Enjoying this show quite alot. I'm not being bashed over the head with real world social issues du jour, the leads are very good together, the action is pretty great, and I can overlook whatever flaws pop up here and there because overall it's just strong enough.

Also, that cameo! oh yes baby! YES BABY LET'S GO!

During a recent interview with D23 Magazine (via The Direct), Hawkeye producer Tran discussed the effect of leaks and fan theories on the show. Tran said that sometimes fans are “spot on,” while other times she "wonders" where in the world theories come from. Read what she had to say below:

"I try not to read too much into it, but it is fun at times seeing how fans are coming up with what they think is happening based on what they can piece together ... Sometimes, they are spot on, while other times, I wonder how on Earth some of these conclusions came about."