• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay shipping label FYI: new max insurance level dropped to $1000

13 posts in this topic

Found out yesterday after selling two big ticket books... had to print labels from USPS.com... added bonus... more expensive. O.o

Edited by oldrover
People thought there was a mysterious new "eBay insurance" based on my title... so I grabbed the Time Stone from Thanos, and POOF!!! Problem solved. :)

18 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What is eBay insurance..?

I didn't say it was eBay insurance... it's shipping insurance. You can ship insured with either ShipCover or USPS when you print an eBay label... the max value used to be $5000. After that you have to do registered mail.

But now the max amount you can insure a package for using eBay shipping is $1000. 

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What is eBay insurance..?

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I didn't say it was eBay insurance... it's shipping insurance. You can ship insured with either ShipCover or USPS when you print an eBay label... the max value used to be $5000. After that you have to do registered mail.

But now the max amount you can insure a package for using eBay shipping is $1000. 

Maybe because I don't eBay enough, but I was confused by the subject heading as well.

9 minutes ago, oldrover said:

The title just says, "eBay FYI new max insurance", so I didn't know you were talking about shipping partners.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Found out yesterday after selling two big ticket books... had to print labels from USPS.com... added bonus... more expensive. O.o

Thats why I went with a collectible insurance.  They cover books in transit (to me, from me) and all sorts of other incidents for a lot cheaper than always buying insurance through the carrier.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Thats why I went with a collectible insurance.  They cover books in transit (to me, from me) and all sorts of other incidents for a lot cheaper than always buying insurance through the carrier.

I have that too. I'm just paranoid. Which is only common sense... when everyone's out to get you. :ph34r:

You might want to be sure you have a business insurance account with a collectible insurance company. They have some stipulations of how much of your private collection they will insure in shipping if you are shipping above a certain percentage of your declared value of your collection over a given period of time. At least this is what I was told when I described certain scenarios about shipping losses. They recommended having a business account if I was selling a lot of books though venues like ebay if I was going to try to count on them to cover any losses in shipping.

Edited by Jaylam

The max insurance label for printing on eBay has not changed. "ShipCover", eBay's "preferred" insurance provider, has always capped at $1,000. But you are still able to purchase insurance up to $5,000 from the USPS through eBay for US domestic shipments, just like always. I just shipped a $1400 order on Friday, insured for the whole amount.

That said, anything much over $1500, and it makes much more sense to ship it registered, since it costs substantially less.