• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

957 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2022 at 12:08 AM, drotto said:

I see it as him seeing it's spoon and calling out spoon. I would be upset also if somebody just destroyed the role that defines my career. I do not blame him in the slightest, I actually respect that he called it out.  Especially when you consider Hollywood is so inclined to protect itself and their own, regardless of quality.

Chris Hemsworth has stated their approach to Thor in Love and Thunder, and it made complete sense when seen in the larger MCU context. At the start of Love and Thunder, Thor is still dealing with the trauma from his past movies and has, in a sense, lost his mind a bit. This is still the Thor from Endgame but with less weight. He doesn’t seem to get back to his more balanced self until the end of Love and Thunder. If one didn’t like the other creative choices in Love and Thunder, that’s subjective, but the creative approach to Thor made perfect sense if you consider Ragnarok and the events of Infinity War and Endgame. 

On 12/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Chris Hemsworth has stated their approach to Thor in Love and Thunder, and it made complete sense when seen in the larger MCU context. At the start of Love and Thunder, Thor is still dealing with the trauma from his past movies and has, in a sense, lost his mind a bit. This is still the Thor from Endgame but with less weight. He doesn’t seem to get back to his more balanced self until the end of Love and Thunder. If one didn’t like the other creative choices in Love and Thunder, that’s subjective, but the creative approach to Thor made perfect sense if you consider Ragnarok and the events of Infinity War and Endgame. 

That may be so, but changes nothing. It may have made sense on paper, but it is clear that for the majority of fans the film does not work on any level. I know you almost blindly defend any MCU project, but it has become clear that there is a massive disconnect that has happened between critics and many fans, when it comes to phase 4 of the MCU. It shows in the declining box office returns.  It shows is lower D+ numbers.  It shows in fewer tickets sold.  It shows in reduced merchandise sales.

Therefor, many fans respect when an actor is honest enough to admit that the final product did not work. It is obvious critics are never going to point anything out (with the exception of the Eternals).  This movie has a 76% on RT, how is that even possible. So it falls on fans and in this case the actor, to let them know when things are not working. These criticisms also seem to be working to some extent with the current stories that parts of Phase 5 and Phase 6 are being reworked.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, drotto said:

That may be so, but changes nothing. It may have made sense on paper, but it is clear that for the majority of fans the film does not work on any level. I know you almost blindly defend any MCU project, but it has become clear that there is a massive disconnect that has happened between critics and many fans, when it comes to phase 4 of the MCU. It shows in the declining box office returns.  It shows is lower D+ numbers.  It shows in fewer tickets sold.  It shows in reduced merchandise sales.

Therefor, many fans respect when an actor is honest enough to admit that the final product did not work. It is obvious critics are never going to point anything out (with the exception of the Eternals).  This movie has a 76% on RT, how is that even possible. So it falls on fans and in this case the actor, to let them know when things are not working. These criticisms also seem to be working to some extent with the current stories that parts of Phase 5 and Phase 6 are being reworked.

That's false that I "blindly" defend any MCU project. First, like 90+% of MCU projects are really good (hence its popularity) so most cheering on the MCU is because it deserves it and yes, that includes Captain Marvel (in sarcastic baby voice). Second, I'm not shy about expressing my dislike for a MCU project here when I don't approve of the final product. I've stated that Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 are unwatchable and that IM3 is not good. In Phase 3, I'm not a fan of Ant-Man and the Wasp and have stated that here. In Phase Four, I've stated here that I didn't like Black Widow. I also see poor story and character development in Werewolf By Night and believe I've mentioned that here while everyone else has been otherwise distracted by the movie's style, gore, and the novelty of Marvel monsters.

My above post is solely about the creative approach to Thor's character in Love and Thunder and how it makes sense considering Thor's ongoing story in the MCU. I never commented on the movie's story. I liked Love and Thunder, but mostly because of how the film explored the character of Jane Foster and her relationship with Thor, the true heart of the movie. I personally thought Gorr's mission to kill the gods was effectively watered down by him possessing both the Necrosword and also seeking to wish the gods dead by journeying to Eternity. I felt the movie should have picked one mode of death or the other, either Gorr kills them by Necrosword or Gorr wishes them dead via Eternity. But back to Thor, Hemsworth and Waititi's decision to play him as if he's out of his mind makes perfect sense in the bigger picture. It actually would have been quite inconsistent with Thor's past if Thor had just been a  centered stable-minded hero at the outset of Love and Thunder.

Look, if you go by audience voting on RT, 3/4 of the fans who voted liked the movie. That's not bad. It's far below Ragnarok, but whatever. On the MCU social media sites/groups I belong to, L&T has its detractors, but a majority(though not overwhelming) support the movie. Hemsworth also didn't say the character or the movie didn't work. He just said Thor had lost his mind in the MCU and that's how he played him in Love and Thunder, and going forward, he'd like to approach Thor differently, which would also make sense for the character considering Love and Thunder's ending.

We'll never really be able to judge box office again because of the digital world we live in. I watched this movie on a plane. And I sure as hell don't waste my time voting on a silly site like Rotten Tomatoes. 

Another big budget amusement park ride that'll be debated endlessly by dorks who's only positive human interaction is their right hand, and ultimately the real fate of the movie will rest with the private information known only by Marvel Studio accountants. 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:24 AM, Prince Namor said:

We'll never really be able to judge box office again because of the digital world we live in. I watched this movie on a plane.

Apparently, on average, a movie makes about 5% of its budget back off airline deals.

In-flight movies is definitely one way to watch a flick. I watched Top Gun Maverick my first and only time(so far) on a flight to New York. It was actually pretty cool watching a movie about jets, on a jet. It was a bit of a meta experience. Unfortunately, the movie was longer than the flight so I still don't know what happened in the final 15 minutes. Good thing I have Paramount+.

Finally watched it 2 weeks ago.  It felt like there were 3 movies going on at once and it was edited in a way that none of them worked.  Every time Gorr was onscreen, I was in.  Most of the other times?  Eh.  

The whole movie boils down to loss, grief, and how to mourn and move on but with screaming goats.  I love Taika but he was all over the place here.