• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

957 posts in this topic

I'm sure these movies will make money. but the MCU has been a disappointment for any of us with hopes of seeing filmed versions of our Silver/Bronze Age MU. The MCU is another version, like the Hulk TV series was a version. Not necessarily bad, but not the essence of the MU.

Not crazy about this director. Too irreverent, goes for humor too much, and from some of his responses above, comes across as arrogant.

Edited by marvelcollector

On 7/24/2019 at 1:04 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"fan-favorite comic run"

:roflmao:

Not a bad description.  It's an excellent, highly-regarded run.  One of the character's very best.

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

According to who...? I've heard and read almost nothing but bad things. It sounds just awful to me.

Very different experience to me, then.  Posts I've read here say much the opposite.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:whistle:

One page back.

I’m gone for awhile and forget everything.  🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

But those Taika responses, which to me is just his crazy humor, is not going over well with folks posting on Twitter and bloggers writing review articles. Quite a few are seeing it as him disrespecting their opinions.

How do you respond to something in a positive way when someone posts 'Yeah, he's the guy that f-ed up my beloved film'? O.o

So he uses humor to defuse the tension. (shrug)

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But those Taika responses, which to me is just his crazy humor, is not going over well with folks posting on Twitter and bloggers writing review articles. Quite a few are seeing it as him disrespecting their opinions.

How do you respond to something in a positive way when someone posts 'Yeah, he's the guy that f-ed up my beloved film'? O.o

So he uses humor to defuse the tension. (shrug)

He sorta punches down. It’s not playful. You don’t actual have to be humble, just pretend. Guys like Chris Hemsworth and Chris Pratt and Paul Rudd get it and the respond to criticism with the “man I’m lame sorry hehe” type responses usually or “just wait” when fans gripe or worry.

To be fair those three probably aren’t pretending but you get the idea.

Uh-oh. I was wondering with that character and symbolism used in the film if this was going to become an issue. Especially for image-clean Disney.

A new report from Variety, entitled “Fox Feels the Pressure From Disney As Film Flops Mount,” reveals how Disney is moving ahead on the Fox film projects it acquired after the $71.3 billion deal. The merger means Disney now owns and releases films from indie powerhouse Fox Searchlight Pictures. First out of the gate this fall from the 25-year-old indie studio is Taika Waititi’s “Jojo Rabbit.” The Nazi Germany-set comedy-drama is billed as an “anti-hate satire” and features Waititi playing an imaginary version of Adolf Hitler, hardly the content associated with Disney’s family-friendly brand.

According to Variety, the Nazi subject matter at the heart of “Jojo Rabbit” is worrying some Disney executives. Variety’s report reads: “The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans.”

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

According to Variety, the Nazi subject matter at the heart of “Jojo Rabbit” is worrying some Disney executives. Variety’s report reads: “The scathing takedown of Nazism may, however, prove a little too edgy for Disney brass accustomed to producing movies suitable for parents and kids. Searchlight has started to screen the film for its new parent company. Halfway through one recent viewing one executive grew audibly uncomfortable, worrying aloud that the material would alienate Disney fans.”

So are they just releasing everything under the Disney brand now?

What's the problem with having a separate label that allows them to release projects such as these? Is it possible public backlash? Is the public not smart enough to figure out that if it's not branded a "Disney" picture that it might not be for families/kids?

:censored:

12 minutes ago, Antpark said:

So are they just releasing everything under the Disney brand now?

What's the problem with having a separate label that allows them to release projects such as these? Is it possible public backlash? Is the public not smart enough to figure out that if it's not branded a "Disney" picture that it might not be for families/kids?

:censored:

It's Bob Iger's view on riskier properties which may not have a mass-appeal audience attraction. When he came into the picture and sold off Miramax because its R-Rated content didn't fit that standard, it was an indicator where Disney wants to be focused.

Will there be a place for Miramax in Disney's new movie -script? (2010)

Even in the face of Miramax's box-office malaise, with such disappointments as "Adventureland," "Blindness" and "Happy-Go-Lucky," Cook told The Times in May that he still had faith in the direction of the specialty label and its leader, Daniel Battsek, the British executive whom he handpicked four years ago to run the once-maverick company founded by Bob and Harvey Weinstein in 1979.

But that was then, and this is now. Miramax has never appeared to be a priority for Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Bob Iger, nor does it fit his strategy to focus on Disney's "branded" mass entertainment that can be exploited across the Burbank studio's various businesses including theme parks, television and consumer products.

After Disney's $4-billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment closes, Iger and his soon-to-be announced Cook successor -- Disney Channel head Rich Ross is said to be a top candidate -- will be plenty busy conjuring up ways to commercially exploit their new family of superhero characters.

As for Miramax, the division continues to struggle but has high hopes for its latest offering, "The Boys Are Back," an emotional drama directed by Scott Hicks and starring Clive Owen as a widower struggling to raise two sons, which opens tomorrow in limited release in Los Angeles, New York and a few other cities. The film, based on Simon Carr's 2001 memoir, received strong industry trade reviews and Oscar buzz at the recent Toronto Film Festival, where it received a five-minute standing ovation after its world premiere.

Miramax's most recent releases, "Extract," an R-rated comedy starring Jason Bateman and Ben Affleck, and director Stephen Frears' period romance "Cheri," headlined by Michelle Pfeiffer and Rupert Friend, didn't do much business.

Revenue-wise, the approach makes sense to appease investors. Creative contribution-wise, it limits the scope of the content produced.